+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Top Chef New Orleans - 11/20 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Top Chef New Orleans - 11/20 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

"Piggin' Out" yep, it's time again for the chefs to drag out a huge animal carcass and butcher it before our eyes!

Enjoy the slaughter!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Re: Top Chef New Orleans - 11/20 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

OK, Padma having to translate Dr. John's comments for the chefs during the Quickfire was priceless!
    Shoepie and Arielflies like this.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    OK, Padma having to translate Dr. John's comments for the chefs during the Quickfire was priceless!
    She must have been given a crash course because there is no way she could have known otherwise.

Never heard of Dr. John and hope I never do again. He is a jerk. That word is mild, I can think of many others. I noticed the chefs did not warm to him either. They forced a smile to be polite but you know they did not appreciate his critique or stupid manner of speaking.

Interesting that Nina ended up in the winners group given her lack of confidence with her dish. I thought we were getting one of those edit spoilers and she was going to be eliminated.

Pork is my favorite meat because it is so versatile and tasty. I am still looking forward to when the numbers are down and we get to see more than a tasting plate at a large event.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post

Never heard of Dr. John and hope I never do again. He is a jerk. That word is mild, I can think of many others. I noticed the chefs did not warm to him either. They forced a smile to be polite but you know they did not appreciate his critique or stupid manner of speaking.
    "Hip Tang"

Love it! When I first heard Top Chef was going to be in New Orleans, I had hoped that Dr. John would somehow be included so I was thrilled to see him on the show! He's got somewhat of a hep-cat manner of speaking but he's a legend and there's most definitely an implicit wink in his eye and it was a lot of fun watching him critique the food.

Shoepie, Dr. John's vocals are something of an acquired taste but he is an unparalled keyboard player and if you're a fan at all of southern funky blues, give him a listen.

I'm not certain how Travis got by with store-bought ramen noodles except the bottom three had more egregious culinary mistakes. Travis hasn't been impressing me and I keep hoping he's the next to go.

FORT Fogey

I am not a fan of blues music. I seek upbeat music and positive lyrics. I really had a very strong aversion to Dr John. His ridiculous vocabulary came across as affected and manufactured to create a character. I will go google him though.

Travis is on thin ice, I agree.
    Dragonlady likes this.

I had never heard of Dr. John before this appearance. He clearly is and speaks Cajun. There was a comedian several years ago who made a career out of that. I wish I could remember his name, but it's gone. However, he used to have a tv show that I watched occasionally, so I could understand a tiny bit of what Dr. John was saying. I don't know if he's a good musician or not -- I imagine he is, but if I want to hear New Orleans jazz, I'll go back and list to some old Al Hirt or Pete Fountain or Louis Prima or Satchmo.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Dr. John is a music legend, who crossed over into mainstream popularity with some Top 10 hits in the 70s. He was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2011, and has won 6 Grammys. I had a ball watching him do his thing on the show!

Good win for Carlos, and also good that all the chefs made sucessful dishes. I wish more weeks were like this, where the judges have to split hairs to figure out the winner & loser. Train wreck dishes are okay for drama, but I like to see them all succeed in some way.
    Arielflies likes this.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I had never heard of Dr. John before this appearance. He clearly is and speaks Cajun. There was a comedian several years ago who made a career out of that. I wish I could remember his name, but it's gone. However, he used to have a tv show that I watched occasionally, so I could understand a tiny bit of what Dr. John was saying. I don't know if he's a good musician or not -- I imagine he is, but if I want to hear New Orleans jazz, I'll go back and list to some old Al Hirt or Pete Fountain or Louis Prima or Satchmo.
    Yes, Dr. John is a legend in the world of music!
    And, yes, he clearly ( hilarious choice of words!) speaks Cajun.
    As a Yankee girl (Chicagoland) first working in DFW, my introduction to the southern drawl was was relatively uneventful.
    My introduction to Cajun speak, however, was mind-boggling and head shaking. I'd have to continuously say, "Excuse me? I'm so sorry -- I don't understand" while my inner voice was screaming, "WTF IS HE SAYING?!?" (I was still swearing in those days.)

Finally, good ol' Cajun chef Justin Wilson (anyone remember him?) helped me out. He'd come into the Delta Crown Room frequently. If there was time, he'd quiz me with "What am I saying?" lines.
    (To return the favor, I used to do the same with him only using phrases in a very hard Chicago accent.)

-
    Impossible things are being done every day.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Dr John? I hate to say that I have never heard of him before either.

FORT Fogey

Just because someone is a legend, does not mean that everyone will like them.
    cubsfan55 and Dragonlady like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast