+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Shoepie
  • 2 Post By HaikenEdge

Thread: Top Chef New Orleans - 10/23 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Top Chef New Orleans - 10/23 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

"Captain Vietnam" - most interesting episode title yet...

Enjoy the show!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

Re: Top Chef New Orleans - 10/23 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

This episode was disappointing. I don't like to see them all struggle with a type of food they don't know. I prefer to have my mouth water and not be able to descide which one I want to eat. Vietnamese food is one of my favorites. Santa Fe has an excellent restaurant if anyone lives close it is worth the drive, even if you are an hour or more away!

The editing sure gave away which team was going to be in the bottom. I was surprised to see Janine go instead of the guy who swore he had tomato based soup in Vietnam though.
    Florimel and wannasee like this.

I feel like the combined incompetence and douchebaggery on this season of Top Chef is greater than any previous season's. Not sure how I feel about it, since I watch the show for the cooking, not for cooks who can't cook and don't have their heads on straight. Travis certainly seems to have his head up his rear, though.
    Florimel and Shoepie like this.
    Revenge is ice cream.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by HaikenEdge View Post
    I feel like the combined incompetence and douchebaggery on this season of Top Chef is greater than any previous season's. Not sure how I feel about it, since I watch the show for the cooking, not for cooks who can't cook and don't have their heads on straight. Travis certainly seems to have his head up his rear, though.
    That is why I watch, as well. I wonder how many accomplished chefs, or past winners, could make a Vietnamese dish, well. You cannot find this option on menus outside of a Vietnamese restaurant. Could Stephaine, Richard Bais, Carla, even Tom or Emeril create a winner? Carla lost her season by making a sous vide piece of beef rather than sticking to what she knew. Tom even said, she should have made her style of food.

Making Cajun style food is a little more mainstream and they didn't do well with that either.

I don't believe every good chef knows how to create food from every country or region, no matter how many stars they have. We see all of them cooking familiar food on Iron Chef. They never require them to make a specific style. It does make you wonder if the calibur of chefs this season are not as good or is the format flawed.

The only way to go is up, so there is that!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I don't believe every good chef knows how to create food from every country or region, no matter how many stars they have. We see all of them cooking familiar food on Iron Chef. They never require them to make a specific style. It does make you wonder if the calibur of chefs this season are not as good or is the format flawed.
    It's true that every good chef doesn't know about every cuisine on the books, but I've seen some chefs talk about how they did some homework on cuisines and techniques they weren't familiar with once they found out they were cast. This is especially true about desserts & pastry -- a lot of the chefs play with recipes before they arrive so that they will have a dessert ready if they have to make one. Also, the finalists always research the cuisine of the location of the finals, because it it usually plays a part in the last challenges.

But not all chefs think to do this ahead of time...maybe more chefs in this crew haven't.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Didn't TC have a finale in Thailand? Maybe another cooking show. I remember them talking about tomato sauces being used - but as part of country cooking, not fine dining cooking. Also the "sauce" would NOT be related to Italian, but I'm glad Bene wasn't sent home for that. I thought it great that Tom? said he would take jars of it home for his pasta.

Yes, "I'm Mr. Vietnam" should have gone home, but LCK is a bit of redemption for those packing their knives.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I agree about the negative posts here......but I'm just glad to see Emeril here so often. I'm sure it was quite the disappointment for him and his fans when his show was cancelled.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    It's true that every good chef doesn't know about every cuisine on the books, but I've seen some chefs talk about how they did some homework on cuisines and techniques they weren't familiar with once they found out they were cast. This is especially true about desserts & pastry -- a lot of the chefs play with recipes before they arrive so that they will have a dessert ready if they have to make one. Also, the finalists always research the cuisine of the location of the finals, because it it usually plays a part in the last challenges.

But not all chefs think to do this ahead of time...maybe more chefs in this crew haven't.
    Vietnamese food escaped their attention during the research process.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 10-30-2013 at 09:39 AM.

+ Reply to Thread