+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Top Chef - Last Chance Kitchen: New Orleans (BravoTV.com & On-Demand)

Re: Top Chef - Last Chance Kitchen: New Orleans (BravoTV.com & On-Demand)

Yeah, I think Tom was thinking long-term with his choice as well. Janine's dish was pretty undone. But I'm not complaining.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

It is sad that I am more into LCK that I am Top Chef. Yea for Janine.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Wow, the Janine Train comes to a halt! Louis squeezed out a win, but it sounded like both dishes had flaws to pick apart.

Janine and Nyesha should go get drinks -- Nyesha can sympthize with what Janine was feeling last night.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I was sorry to see Janine lose last night as I really do like her and think she's a fine cook. The worst problem I see in LCK is that it is completely and entirely in the hands of Tom Colicchio. No one else get to taste the dishes or has any input into the results. It simply means that he can choose whomever he wants to see continue for whatever reasons he (or the show) may have. My feeling is that the show runners and judges have decided on the ones they want to move on and Tom is the spokesman who does the job.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I was sorry to see Janine lose last night as I really do like her and think she's a fine cook. The worst problem I see in LCK is that it is completely and entirely in the hands of Tom Colicchio. No one else get to taste the dishes or has any input into the results. It simply means that he can choose whomever he wants to see continue for whatever reasons he (or the show) may have. My feeling is that the show runners and judges have decided on the ones they want to move on and Tom is the spokesman who does the job.
    I don't think this is true. I believe Tom does judge on the dish, not the person. That said, he cannot forget the chefs experience and potential because of that.
    That may influence him to some degree but I don't believe it is predetermined. He was very clear when this show began and adamant about it being about the food not personalities.

I knew when I saw the dishes that he would win. He went the extra distance to create a good sauce. Janine made the mistake of creating an entire meal instead of keeping the ingredients for her butter sauce and just the fish. Her potato and asparagus were plain and added nothing. Maybe the pantry did not have all the ingredients now that I think about it. Butter, broth, white wine, garlic are the basic things. She probably had something more elaborate in mind.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 11-22-2013 at 09:46 AM.
    sparklete likes this.

One of the few things the Food Network got right with their version of Last Chance Kitchen was that they had a judge (Robert Irvine) that wasn't part of the main series until it was over. That way he didn't have any preconceived notions of their cooking and stage presence.

However I didn't think Food Network should have had it at all because people are kicked off Next Food Network Star for more reasons then just bad food. On Top Chef, one bad meal can get you kicked off and since they want the chefs to take risks having Last Chance Kitchen makes sense. The same thing doesn't make sense on Next Food Network Star because they rarely throw off someone for just a single bad dish, and it is usually only on the final rounds anyway.

I think Top Chef should let one of their series regulars (i.e. Hugh) judge Last Chance Kitchen and keep him off the main series until the chef is allowed back in the main kitchen.
    Kip, Florimel and Shoepie like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by marauder View Post
    One of the few things the Food Network got right with their version of Last Chance Kitchen was that they had a judge (Robert Irvine) that wasn't part of the main series until it was over. That way he didn't have any preconceived notions of their cooking and stage presence.

However I didn't think Food Network should have had it at all because people are kicked off Next Food Network Star for more reasons then just bad food. On Top Chef, one bad meal can get you kicked off and since they want the chefs to take risks having Last Chance Kitchen makes sense. The same thing doesn't make sense on Next Food Network Star because they rarely throw off someone for just a single bad dish, and it is usually only on the final rounds anyway.

I think Top Chef should let one of their series regulars (i.e. Hugh) judge Last Chance Kitchen and keep him off the main series until the chef is allowed back in the main kitchen.
    Good idea.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

So I'm assuming there was no episode this week due to Thenksgiving.

You assume correctly.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Really good episode - Sara vs. Louis. I like how Tom is designing the LCK challenges around the ingredient that caused the latest eliminated chef to fail. (He may have been doing this last year too, but it seems a lot more deliberate this season.)

Both dishes looked good, but Tom was right to give it to Louis based on his concept & technique being more innovative. The fact that even Sara agreed that Louis "deserved" to move on more than her says that she wasn't destined to win this season.
    FireWoman and TripleGemini like this.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast