+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Top Chef New Orleans - 10/2 Premiere Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Top Chef New Orleans - 10/2 Premiere Show Discussion **Spoilers**

"Soiree in the Swamp" - we are starting with 19 chefs, plus some alligators, turtles and frogs. Booyah!

Enjoy the show!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Re: Top Chef New Orleans - 10/2 Premiere Show Discussion **Spoilers**

No one blew me away because these folks knew they were going to NOLA and should have researched local proteins (how obvious is fried alligator with a good sauce?). But I did feel bad for them cooking in the swamp. The mosquitoes are serious business, West Nile outbreaks and all.

That one dude who said Emeril put LA food on the map needs to wash out his mouth with a bar of soap and remember Justin Wilson. Kids these days.
    Dragonlady likes this.

Looks like it'll be a good season.

I agree - I liked this crew. Even the cocky guys seem kind of cocky in a benign way.

I'm loving the location, and I liked the first challenge. I can't believe most of them were surprised that they were cooking outdoors. Hello, have you seen the show? Padma said you will be cooking in a swamp. That means, you will be cooking in a swamp.

As long as they avoid going overboard hyping the New Orleans theme (like they did with Texas), this should be a really good season.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

It looks like there are some pretty accomplished chefs in this group. It was funny to see the look on Tom's face when Curtis said that he disagreed with what Tom said!
    dzigner likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    I agree - I liked this crew. Even the cocky guys seem kind of cocky in a benign way.

I'm loving the location, and I liked the first challenge. I can't believe most of them were surprised that they were cooking outdoors. Hello, have you seen the show? Padma said you will be cooking in a swamp. That means, you will be cooking in a swamp.

As long as they avoid going overboard hyping the New Orleans theme (like they did with Texas), this should be a really good season.
    That is a concern. If every challenge involves using the local style it will be disappointing.

There are 2 Michelin star chefs, 3 chef/owners, 2 out of culinary school, several sous chefs and the rest are executive chefs. That is wide range of experience. It should make for an interesting season.

The instant I saw the ice go into the broth I knew he was done. Why not put the ice in a plastic bag? Such a crazy mistake. I loved Tom's face when he heard this. Complete and utter disbelief.

Nina, the winner, stood out to me; I like her. Janine from Perth is going to cause a stir; she got a lot of air time with the focus on her short shorts.

FORT Fogey

Working with alligator, why? It is tough and more about eating something fried and the dipping sauce in most restaurants. Nina won because she used it as a vehicle for a very tasty sauce. Smart to put it in a meat ball with added fat.

And the reason turtle is almost always used in soup is because it is tough with no fat either!

I hate to complain because this is my favorite show but could not stop myself.

I would like to have seen them all wear their necklaces when back in the kitchen/judging place, so we could have seen the distribution.
    wannasee likes this.

I really felt bad for the girls in tears at judges panel. It must have been so difficult to have to undo all your planning, and then carry on knowing your dish sucked. That said, sending the guy who watered down his dashi was the right choice. I LOVED Tom and Emeril's faces when he admitted to adding cold water to the dashi to cool it off. I mean, what? That would completely ruin all your hard work. What a stupid decision.

The arrogant guy was annoying in a comical and obvious way. I mean, every time he ran his hands through that horrible hair, I just burst out laughing.

Love New Orleons. Mr. Sweetpea was there for a conference way back in 2000, when I was pregnant and couldn't go with him. He's always promised to take me back. I would love to go, for the food, the ambiance, and the fact that I read all of Ann Rice's novels and have this image of the Garden District that I just need to see in person.
    Shoepie likes this.

FORT Fogey

I rewatched the begining to see the chefs; it was a blur on my first pass.

Sara spoke of her personal style as if unique. Well, it is quite the fad now and anything but original. She is the one who piles her hair up and wraps it with a scarf or bandana. I am watching Cutthroat Kitchen now and a contestant is sporting that same style as did Kelly Osbourne on Fashion Police once (for fun). Wrapping your hair in a bandana is quite the thing these days. Everyone on BB wore them daily!

I love this show and trust we won't see anymore bar food challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Sara spoke of her personal style as if unique. Well, it is quite the fad now and anything but original. She is the one who piles her hair up and wraps it with a scarf or bandana. I am watching Cutthroat Kitchen now and a contestant is sporting that same style as did Kelly Osbourne on Fashion Police once (for fun). Wrapping your hair in a bandana is quite the thing these days. Everyone on BB wore them daily!
    I agree that wasn't all that unique. Her style reminded me A LOT of Kenley from Project Runway.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast