+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Top Chef Seattle 1/16 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: Top Chef Seattle 1/16 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

I kind of disagree. I do want to see someone win who has great talent. But things like management, serving, and playing DO ammeter. It is top CHEF and not top cook. They're looking for someone great who can achieve greatness with their own restaurant. Remember when the show started the prize money was considered seed money to open a restaurant. Compare Stefan's waiter skills to past winners like Stephanie or Richard. They understood the hospitality end and the management end in addition to making great dishes. I'm not saying Josie will win because she has these skills. She's affirming why she didn't win the first time. But others are lacking in these skills too. As long as they are all weeded out by the end, I think the show is focused on the right things.
    Shoepie likes this.

This show has officially jumped the shark tank for me. I thought this show was about finding the best chef not which judge could out diva each other. Only way I will watch again is if either Padma or Tom are gone.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I kind of disagree. I do want to see someone win who has great talent. But things like management, serving, and playing DO ammeter. It is top CHEF and not top cook. They're looking for someone great who can achieve greatness with their own restaurant. Remember when the show started the prize money was considered seed money to open a restaurant. Compare Stefan's waiter skills to past winners like Stephanie or Richard. They understood the hospitality end and the management end in addition to making great dishes. I'm not saying Josie will win because she has these skills. She's affirming why she didn't win the first time. But others are lacking in these skills too. As long as they are all weeded out by the end, I think the show is focused on the right things.
    If she (K) can manage a restaurant or not (in real world conditions that is) would be up for debate and understandable. Even seasonal chefs can suck at administering their restaurant (Batali comes to mind recently). Finding a well-rounded chef would be optimal goal. Sadly, that is not always the case.

If you are a brilliant chef that CAN cook (heck, delight your guests with your amazing dishes) and you suck at managing, you can always hire a managing team to help you there. Now, if you are a mediocre chef, but good at managing, well...
    Famous Chefs delegate a lot of the back systems stuff. People know them for their food and brilliance, not for how good the service is at their restaurants only. If that were the case there would be little difference between going to Chili's or Wolfgang Puck.

Again, Top Chef, not Top Restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by dantrb View Post
    If she (K) can manage a restaurant or not (in real world conditions that is) would be up for debate and understandable. Even seasonal chefs can suck at administering their restaurant (Batali comes to mind recently). Finding a well-rounded chef would be optimal goal. Sadly, that is not always the case.

If you are a brilliant chef that CAN cook (heck, delight your guests with your amazing dishes) and you suck at managing, you can always hire a managing team to help you there. Now, if you are a mediocre chef, but good at managing, well...
    Famous Chefs delegate a lot of the back systems stuff. People know them for their food and brilliance, not for how good the service is at their restaurants only. If that were the case there would be little difference between going to Chili's or Wolfgang Puck.

Again, Top Chef, not Top Restaurant.
    Well, its particularly poignant in this case bc Kristen took responsibility for Josie's lack of time management skills, whereas in the real world Josie would be fired and K would never be responsible for her crappiness.

In the real world, Kristen would have fired Josie. In TV world all she could do was bite her tongue.
    cubsfan55 likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Well to be fair, Kristen could have fired back at Josie's comments and explain what was really going on in the kitchen. She choose not to. I believe that was the cause of her demise.
    AcookerTV likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Maybe they got rid of Kristin because they wanted someone to challenge CJ in Last Chance Kitchen because he has been steamrolling over everyone that walks through the door (sort of like Redemtion Island on Survivor where one person kept winning all the duels) and they thought that was getting dull. Who knows what the producers were thinking, but you know they always have a hand in saying who goes and who stays. I read a little blip once (read: disclaimer) at the the end of one reality show that said as much.

FORT Fan

Top Chef Seattle 1/23/13 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Go Sheldon! I hope that Kristen returns from Last Chance Kitchen and either she or Sheldon wins.
    dzigner likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345