+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Top Chef Seattle 11/28 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Top Chef Seattle 11/28 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

It's Back to the Future time! The chefs recreate a 50's style menu for the elimination.

First, they have to do some butchering in the PF.

Enjoy the show!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Re: Top Chef Seattle 11/28 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I was disappointed by this episode. It just wasn't exciting to watch them cook dishes that they didn't create.

Had they been asked to update the dishes - a la Kutshers Tribeca - it would have been an interesting challenge.

Instead, it seemed like an episode of "Top Cook," not "Top Chef."

FORT Fan

Agree, it didn't see like they were proving they were Top Chefs by just copying other people's dishes. I remember Jamie having the same complaint on the challenge she got eliminated on in her season, when they had to rmake Eric Ripert's dishes. I prefer even the cooking from a gas station because at least then they are creating their own dishes and not proving they could be line chefs.

That being said, I was surprised at some of the mistakes. Overcooked/undercooked squab, too much dressing on a salad, bad french onion soup, not even checking dishes before they went out? I'm starting to wonder if they're running out of truly talented/creative chefs or are just being turned down by those kind of chefs. There seem to be more elementary mistakes early this season than I can remember in previous seasons.

I'm also wondering just why they chose these three returning chefs. They're not making a very good impression are they? A returnee has been in the bottom on every long challenge so far, and Josie surely would have gone home last week if she hadn't had immunity. Actually, I was wondering why they chose her to come back at all. With the boys-Stefan probably should have won his season and CJ got far, but Josie got eliminated fairly early. They clearly just decided to go with this gimmick and threw darts at the wall on who they'd ask back.

I hate that they're doing the Top Chef kitchen thing again. I'm not going to go online to watch it, and it kinda annoys me that I'm missing part of the show. yeah, I know I should go watch it online if that's the case, but I hate watching things online because of buffering, commercials, ads they might put it. It's so much of a hassle for me that it puts me off the whole show.

Glad Carla got eliminated. Wow, I couldn't imagine working with someone constantly chattering, narrating what's happening. There was a woman a few seasons back who did the same thing, I remember, and it annoyed people then, but at least she was fairly quiet doing it, Carla was so loud! Now if that jerk chef would go I could stop grinding my teeth while watching.

I'm happy Carla is gone, and I'm happy they're doing Last Chance Kitchen again.

But I'm a little surprised both women went tonight -- the guys made some pretty bad mistakes, and deserved to go just as much as the women did. I sometimes wonder if Tom has a small, quiet, subtle sexist streak during eliminations. It's a common trait among chefs so it wouldn't shock me. And I'm not accusing him directly of having it, I'd be happy to say he doesn't. But it's not an uncommon occurrence in this industry so maybe he hasn't completely drilled it out of his system, and he naturally drifts toward keeping men over women.

But make no mistake, Carla and Chrissy are no big losses to the season. Just a random thought I had...
    maude~flanders likes this.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fan

I don't know if Tom is slightly sexist or not, but I don't think that inclination was a factor in this elimination. Chrissy seemed to have the concensus worst dish-she took on a signature dish of the restaurant, a dish that really hasn't changed since it was created in the fifties, and completely blew it. There was the bias of 'it's just a salad, how hard can it be' along with the bias of it being a signature dish, and she totally drowned it. I think the fact that it was a soggy salad doomed her.

As for Carla, I think her dish was probably about the same as CJ's in terms of how bad it was, but the fact that she admitted she didn't even taste it until her last dish was sent out put her as worse than CJ. It meant that she wasn't involved at all in quality control and that's another strike against her. It was probably the tiebreaker between her and CJ. No matter how much they say it, they don't judge just based on the taste of the food. In the season one finale, they took into consideration how Tiffani treated her sous chefs. Season two, Tom held it against Sam that he didn't use any heat to cook his dishes in the semi finals. Those are the things they use to determine eliminations when it's a toss up between two chefs, and Carla put herself in a position where she COULDN'T try to fix her dish, and I guess that was inexcusable.

Quote Originally Posted by pretlitdev View Post
    I don't know if Tom is slightly sexist or not, but I don't think that inclination was a factor in this elimination. Chrissy seemed to have the concensus worst dish-she took on a signature dish of the restaurant, a dish that really hasn't changed since it was created in the fifties, and completely blew it. There was the bias of 'it's just a salad, how hard can it be' along with the bias of it being a signature dish, and she totally drowned it. I think the fact that it was a soggy salad doomed her.

As for Carla, I think her dish was probably about the same as CJ's in terms of how bad it was, but the fact that she admitted she didn't even taste it until her last dish was sent out put her as worse than CJ. It meant that she wasn't involved at all in quality control and that's another strike against her. It was probably the tiebreaker between her and CJ. No matter how much they say it, they don't judge just based on the taste of the food. In the season one finale, they took into consideration how Tiffani treated her sous chefs. Season two, Tom held it against Sam that he didn't use any heat to cook his dishes in the semi finals. Those are the things they use to determine eliminations when it's a toss up between two chefs, and Carla put herself in a position where she COULDN'T try to fix her dish, and I guess that was inexcusable.
    I think CJ admitting he knew what was wrong with his dish did make a difference. IMO they've used this as a decision maker before: the one who admits something was wrong and how they would fix it next time vs the one who is clueless. Carla did admit she finally tasted it, but it was the last dish. Clearly her telling them that was shocking. IMO CJ thinks they occasionally judge based on that too because he seemed to over-stress it the second time he said what he did did wrong/would do differently. OTOH based on something else, it could be the squab was just that bad and it really wasn't as close as it appeared.

The episode was rather boring, however the pay-off was seeing Carla packing her knives and going !

I wonder if CJ, Josh, and John are going to continue their hate-fest with each other?

Quote Originally Posted by xmaskat View Post
    The episode was rather boring, however the pay-off was seeing Carla packing her knives and going !

I wonder if CJ, Josh, and John are going to continue their hate-fest with each other?
    If it means everyone hates John, then count me in!
    Florimel and Little Sew&Sew like this.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I hate the way John parks his glasses on his forehead when he doesn't need them to see/ read. Ugh. It looks so stupid . Who does that?

Quote Originally Posted by xmaskat View Post
    I hate the way John parks his glasses on his forehead when he doesn't need them to see/ read. Ugh. It looks so stupid . Who does that?
    John.

He should have been called for the cold soup going out on the floor as he was directing service. Anyway, because I dislike him and his rude ways, he will probably make the finals.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast