+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Top Chef 12/7 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: Top Chef 12/7 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

The editing telegraphed the gratin potatoes failing and the elimination. Several said she should have cooked them the night before. I also thought it was a very heavy choice given two steak courses. Who wants that anyway? Odd choice of courses even if the dinner was for beef people. I love steak and eat it often but a small amount is very filling.

Heather and her borrowed cake recipe for the second time wins? I guess that speaks volumes for the rest of the meal.

My least favorite challenge is cooking for so many people. That is why sit down dinners at weddings are terrible. It just cannot be done well. Buffet stations are much better, especially when they cook things on the spot like fritters. I love, love, love a good fritter.

Teams again next week. Ah well, it will get better in a few weeks.

I didn't find Bev as irritating last night.... probably because Heather was being somewhat of a bully to her. I don't think Heather should have won the challenge for doing the same cake again.

the potatoes... really? There was no reason they should not have been cooked through. That was just stupid.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Annastasia B View Post
    I didn't find Bev as irritating last night.... probably because Heather was being somewhat of a bully to her. I don't think Heather should have won the challenge for doing the same cake again.

the potatoes... really? There was no reason they should not have been cooked through. That was just stupid.
    Not to mention, it's Ed's cake... not hers. When she said she had more exp in pastry than others there, my first thought is why doesn't she know how to make her own cake then? Its not like she is baking out of a box.. she is using someone elseís recipe. Not saying that credit should go to Ed.. she is the one making it, but as been mentioned in the past, most Chefs bring at least one cake recipe to the competition. I can feel and respect Edís frustration in this.
    Shoepie and sparklete like this.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

I've been watching this season and it just makes me wonder what is wrong with these contestants. Why do they seem to be so out of the loop on so many fronts? I'm trying to recall if other groups have been like this, but can't recall.

Do you think the show is relying on free space and food it they cook it? Is that the reason for the dinners, banquet, etc.

Did it seem odd that so few of the chefs seemed to know that beef will keep cooking after you take it off heat and that it takes very little to cook on the grill to med rare? I would think most novice grillers would understand that.

I have watched a bazillion cooking shows (and I went to culinary school) and I have never seen anyone sear steaks on the grill and then dunk them in water to hold until they are finished off in the oven. I either learned something new tonight or learned something to definitely NOT do!

I had a lot of respect for Ty taking the blame for the steaks when in reality he didn't screw them up. No one knows if his method would have worked had the rest of the people inside not decided it was time to fire them in the oven....way too early. Ty didn't have any idea they were doing that as he was still outside grilling them. To his credit he never brought it up at Judge's Table (or they edited it out) and stood there and took his lumps.
    Duckyface and sparklete like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    I have watched a bazillion cooking shows (and I went to culinary school) and I have never seen anyone sear steaks on the grill and then dunk them in water to hold until they are finished off in the oven. I either learned something new tonight or learned something to definitely NOT do!
    I had a lot of respect for Ty taking the blame for the steaks when in reality he didn't screw them up. No one knows if his method would have worked had the rest of the people inside not decided it was time to fire them in the oven....way too early. Ty didn't have any idea they were doing that as he was still outside grilling them. To his credit he never brought it up at Judge's Table (or they edited it out) and stood there and took his lumps.
    OMG! I missed that. It isn't even okay to sear steaks and finish them in the oven after they have cooled. It dries them out and saps the flavor.

They may have edited out Ty's description of what exactly happened. I would sing like a canary if someone did that and I was on the chopping block for lousy steak.

FORT Fogey

I really hate the team challenges. Some of the chefs literally do a garnish while others work their tails off and get all the heat on them. I still think that these chefs should be given freewill to make something like they all make appetizers, meat dish, etc and than the judges blind taste test them.

Now as for the raw potatoes come on I have never stepped a foot in culinary school, and I could have made those better than that. That was just unforgivable to make that type of mistake.

With regards to the recipe thing, a lot of restaurants follow recipes, and a lot of us do with cookbooks and such. I have no problem with someone using someone else's recipes as they still have to cook it. With that being said though to do it twice in a competition is just not utilizing the chance you have to show off your skills, and to win for making a cake you already showed the judges is pretty odd. The rest of the food must have been terrible. I think Chris should have won, they commented his beef was done really well, and with the other beef being so poor, he should have won.

Ty was very humble not complaining especially when he was tired. I think that is one reason he stayed was because he actually realized the mistake, and answered for it.
    sparklete likes this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton View Post
    Now as for the raw potatoes come on I have never stepped a foot in culinary school, and I could have made those better than that. That was just unforgivable to make that type of mistake.
    Not only were they not cooked, but by leaving them in the pan - sliced and uncooked - they ended up having to throw away the top layer because they were discolored. I never went to culinary school. I rarely even cook these days. But even I know that raw potatoes will turn brown quickly if not kept in liquid. The right person got sent home for sure.
    Shoepie, Duckyface and sparklete like this.

FORT Fogey

And I will add gratin potatoes are always better on the reheat. I worked in a restaurant for a spell, when I was young, and I learned that tip there.
    AZChristian likes this.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton View Post
    I really hate the team challenges. Some of the chefs literally do a garnish while others work their tails off and get all the heat on them. I still think that these chefs should be given freewill to make something like they all make appetizers, meat dish, etc and than the judges blind taste test them.

With regards to the recipe thing, a lot of restaurants follow recipes, and a lot of us do with cookbooks and such. I have no problem with someone using someone else's recipes as they still have to cook it. With that being said though to do it twice in a competition is just not utilizing the chance you have to show off your skills, and to win for making a cake you already showed the judges is pretty odd. The rest of the food must have been terrible. I think Chris should have won, they commented his beef was done really well, and with the other beef being so poor, he should have won.
    Ty was very humble not complaining especially when he was tired. I think that is one reason he stayed was because he actually realized the mistake, and answered for it.

I do agree with this statement to a point. But when you say, point blank to the camera; ďI have more pastry experience than any other chef hereĒ you should 1. Have your own arsenal of pastry recipes. 2. (yes this goes with 1) but NOT ask another Chef for a better recipe. 3. Not cook the same cake 2 times. And lastly, give credit where credit is due, Itís Edís recipe, she should have said at some point, ďI cooked it but it was in fact Edís recipe that I borrowed.Ē In some form or another. I am just disappointed in her that she claims to have such experience and yet canít manage to win on her own creations.
    AZChristian likes this.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast