+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Top Chef 11/30 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Top Chef 11/30 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Looks like there's a mini-episode of COPS somewhere in tonight's show...

Please keep all discussion in here until 11PM PT / 2AM ET.

Enjoy the show!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Re: Top Chef 11/30 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Wow....if that is high society, consider me happy to be part of the middle class. Snooty much?

FORT Newbie

Who went home today?

FORT Fogey

Chuy left and won in Last Chance Kitchen. Keith is permanently gone.

There are too many contestants to get a good look at the food. I love this show but enjoy it more when the number dwindles. The lack of conversation on this thread seems to illustrate, I am not alone.

What can be said about tonights episode other than noting the clear reflection of the Housewives franchaise. Not a life style that appeals to me. My uniform of jeans, t-shirts and funky shoes would not fly. I do love a cucumber finger sandwich and a tiny scone with a cup of tea in the afternoon, however.

I agree about too many contestants. We dont' get to see as much about the food being prepared etc. That's the main reason I watch this show. Not liking the Beverly chick at all.

Can anyone say Real Housewives of Dallas? My oh my.. what a snooty bunch they were. Glad I'm not their neighbor.
    sparklete likes this.

Hugh Acheson's blog on the Top Chef page describes my view of the "socialites" perfectly.

"The real reason I am not on this episode has now become abundantly clear: these people would have driven me crazy. I would have ordered a round of protein smoothies with skin toner/lip enhancer for the diners, screamed something obscene, and taken the chefs out to that new In-N-Out burger that just opened up off the highway. (No joke -- the place had a two hour wait when I did go.)"

"Did that guy just tell four chefs to make something that would make his “inner fat kid” happy? I want this rich white guy to channel how it feels to be poor, obese, and living with diabetes, then we’ll break bread."

I think the wealthy Dallas ladies came off looking more ignorant and childish than snooty. Clearly they are not used to fine dining. I'm a little surprised.
    Shoepie and jacqueline365 like this.

That's probably because they married money. I didn't get an old money feel from any of them or their spouses. In other words perfect casting for a Real Housewives show.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

As much as I bag on Colicchio about being a spice hater, I still believe he's genuinely judging on the quality food preparation--in other words, he's not faking his creds, he really has them. The same goes for Gail, and even to an extent Padma, though her creds are a bit less. On the whole, I think they are about the fairest, most competent judging panel on a competition show (albeit with some inconsistencies, but not nearly as much as the PR group). In short, I generally trust their judgment, as I can't taste the food and they aren't clueless nimrods. That's what made this episode so painful. Irrespective of the bottom 4, the judges were faced with three couples (as said above) right out of The Real Housewives of Dallas. The couples' requests made me flash back to RHoOC when Alexis went to the French chef and ended up with chicken salad on croissants because she is an idiot. (Though that may be an insult to idiots.) I like Top Chef, and even if this group is kind of bland, they seem like decent, genuine competitors. I absolutely hate the Andy Cohen-ization of the show now though. I think the judges do too. I don't want TC to be about making a WWHL topic--I want it to be about making good, crazy, weird, delicious food. Maybe it's time they pull up and go to a different network (though that didn't help PR).

/end crazy rant

Not much I can add here except I totally agree with all of you.
    Too many contestants and I get confused, can't really get a good take on their personalities, and my brain gets fried trying to put all the different food offerings with their respective chef.
    I agree that these judges have, so far, been very fair and really concentrate on the factors that make a winning dish. Much more than many other shows.
    As for the "upper class" people we were priviledged to see: They seem to have everything that money can buy...perfect looks, perfect clothes, perfect white teeth that glow in the dark, esp the guy that was the guest judge but did Prince William and Princess Kate even have 1200 people at their wedding???
    And you have to love the one wife that said, "I can't wait for you guys to come to our house next." Wasted college education there.
    If they had given us more time with each wife, we probably could have found their twin in the Real Housewifes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast