+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Top Chef 11/23 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Top Chef 11/23 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

The Two Hot Tamales (each a Top Chef Master) make a guest appearance.

Please keep all discussion in here until 11PM PT / 2AM ET.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Re: Top Chef 11/23 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Looks like everyone is holiday occupied, but with no new "Psych" and not having to go to work in the morning, I stayed up and watched it on the DVR. I absolutely do not know the chefs' names yet, but the glasses/sunglasses guy in the QF could come to annoy me in the future, but right now I am not engaged enough to care. The crying woman chef (last week and this week) who was safe seems like an early elimination. I was disappointed that the team that had beans in their chili didn't place last, because beans...just no. (I know beans are a point of contention, but that's where I land. If you love them, go for it! ) It was a bit surprising every team stuck to beef; the last chili cook-off I was party to had at least one venison chili, and it won. But it was good to see the "Two Hot Tamales" together again. Does anyone remember their Food Network show from the late nineties where they obsessively extolled the virtues of "impeccably clean hands"? Probably just me.

Phonegrrrl, Mr. Glasses/sunglasses annoys my husband a lot also!!
    I agree with you regarding the Ms. Crying Woman Chef, although I felt sorry for her last week, about her remark concerning her father finally being proud of her if she won. I think she's carrying a lot of baggage here.
    I don't remember the Two Hot Tamales on the Food Network but I used to listen to them on the radio here in LA, some weekend mornings. I liked them except their information was just too narrow for me, mostly Mexican/Hispanic food but I really liked their personalities.

FORT Fogey

I was surprised everyone went exclusively with beef too--there are a lot of other suitably western choices like elk, venison, and buffalo that ought to have been available in Texas. If they were afraid they'd be too lean, they could always add in some beef, but I make buffalo chili all the time--prefer it to beef, actually--and no one I've ever served it to has complained about it being too lean. Mostly, they seem to prefer it to beef.

I agree about the beans. While I don't mind beans in chili, they were in Texas, and Texas Red does not have beans in it.

I also agree about the woman who keeps bursting into tears so easily. It's not just that she bursts into tears easily but that her choice in the quick fire seemed awfully stupid, and not just because she picked the $500 pepper but because she did next to nothing with it. Did she really think that was going to win? As for the guy who used canned tomatoes, everybody, by now, should know that if you used canned when fresh is available, the TC judges will ding you for it, unless the challenge specifically required the use of the canned variety.

I'm getting annoyed with the woman who cries at everything. I agree it seemed ok last week. I think it shed a little light into something she feels deeply about, but come on every event they attend can't have some emotional upset attached to it. I think there's baggage there too and if she lasts until later, that baggage will be attacked by the others as the competition gets more fierce.
    I love my chili with lots, lots of beans and always add corn too. Just my opinion but I'm not cooking for Texans. When are they going to catch on that this is Top Chef Texas? And also that the judges will notice if you are cutting corners when there isn't a valid reason for it.
    And I am really get sick of hearing the contestants lust after the judges. What is up with that??? I mean every season there has always been a comment or a few about how good looking Padma is or when Tom was called a teddy bear But this year it seems there have been a lot of comments already. Is it just me? Has anyone else noticed? For all the mentions of the awards or nominations, they don't seem as serious about cooking.
    Hootie Hoo!

FORT Fogey

I like this season, so far. The two new format additions change it up enough to make this season fresh. I like the last chance kitchen and a cook off between the losing team chefs make sense. I assume this will continue. There will be many more team efforts until the cast narrows.

A personal favorite is emerging for me and this may change, of course, but I like the black woman on the losing team. I knew they were in trouble when it was her decision to add chocolate to the chile in Texas. She lost track of who her judges were!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I like this season, so far. The two new format additions change it up enough to make this season fresh. I like the last chance kitchen and a cook off between the losing team chefs make sense. I assume this will continue. There will be many more team efforts until the cast narrows.

A personal favorite is emerging for me and this may change, of course, but I like the black woman on the losing team. I knew they were in trouble when it was her decision to add chocolate to the chile in Texas. She lost track of who her judges were!
    Is the black woman you're referring to named Nyesha? If so, she just appeared on the show Chef Hunter and won a position as the executive chef of fairly prominent restaurant. I can't recall the name of the restaurant, but I did find her to have a very nice personality and she worked well with the established employees both the kitchen staff and front of the house staff. She kept the kitchen calm and organized. At least for now, I hope she stays around Top Chef for a while. It's not my favorite season because southwestern flavors are among my least favorite, but I'll watch.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

^^^^^ I don't know the names yet; it could be. I just know I really like her. The description you give fits.

+ Reply to Thread