+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just Desserts 2 - 9/7 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Just Desserts 2 - 9/7 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

The treats get sweeter as the chefs get uglier.

Enjoy the show!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Re: Just Desserts 2 - 9/7 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I don't care how good Orlando can cook. His ugly personality guarantees he will never get any money from me. I really hope he and Craig both get the boot next week.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

I know! I never thought I would feel sorry for or even root for Craig, but after the way Orlando was such a piece of garbage to him, I actually was glad he had immunity, if only because it meant Orlando would be irritated for another week.

But next week I'll go back to being annoyed by both of them.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

I find Orlando more annoying than Craig. Craig is in over his head and probably shouldn't be there. That's obviously true. But at least he recognizes his inexperience and isn't overtly nasty to other people. Orlando basically told everyone they had no right to complain about anything and should just shut up. That, on top of his incredibly egotistical attitude, makes him very unlikable. Is he talented? Probably. But talent doesn't entitle you to be a jerk.

I could sort of understand where Craig was coming from about being called out as the person who should have gone home but didn't, just because he had immunity. It was a fairly nasty thing to do, and I think it made Craig feel a bit guilty about someone else going home in his stead--and that it was intended to do so. But realistically, if that person had won immunity, he wouldn't have gone home and Craig would have, so it's no more Craig's fault he went home than it was his--and his dessert did sound pretty bad. Cotton candy coated lollipops? Ick. Craig could simply have been told that he was lucky that he had immunity and that he really needed to step it up next week. They didn't have to make a point of telling him he had the worst dessert on either team, particularly since I think he rather knew that anyway and didn't try to defend what he did or throw anyone else under the bus.

I don't think Craig will be around much longer anyway. I'm afraid Orlando will be, and the longer he stays, the more condescending he's liable to become, unless something drastic happens to knock him down a peg or six.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I find Orlando more annoying than Craig. Craig is in over his head and probably shouldn't be there. That's obviously true. But at least he recognizes his inexperience and isn't overtly nasty to other people. Orlando basically told everyone they had no right to complain about anything and should just shut up. That, on top of his incredibly egotistical attitude, makes him very unlikable. Is he talented? Probably. But talent doesn't entitle you to be a jerk.

I could sort of understand where Craig was coming from about being called out as the person who should have gone home but didn't, just because he had immunity. It was a fairly nasty thing to do, and I think it made Craig feel a bit guilty about someone else going home in his stead--and that it was intended to do so. But realistically, if that person had won immunity, he wouldn't have gone home and Craig would have, so it's no more Craig's fault he went home than it was his--and his dessert did sound pretty bad. Cotton candy coated lollipops? Ick. Craig could simply have been told that he was lucky that he had immunity and that he really needed to step it up next week. They didn't have to make a point of telling him he had the worst dessert on either team, particularly since I think he rather knew that anyway and didn't try to defend what he did or throw anyone else under the bus.

I don't think Craig will be around much longer anyway. I'm afraid Orlando will be, and the longer he stays, the more condescending he's liable to become, unless something drastic happens to knock him down a peg or six.

I agree with everything you've said, Tilden. Craig really is in over his head, but it seems like he knows that and tries to make the best of it, and he's not a jerk about it. Honestly, it's better he's like this, instead of being a jerk who thinks his many screw-ups are flukes and that he's amazing. His being humble and still trying is what speaks well of him. Contrast it to Orlando, who does nothing but be a condescending, whiny jerk. Especially when Orlando has not been doing much better than Craig. He did well in episode one, but since hass been doing either middle of the road or badly, and the only thing that's saved him is his showpiece skill, because he didn't even make a plated dessert in this episode.

And I was pretty disgusted with the judges this time around. First up with Johnny making it a point to hammer on Craig about how eh was the worst and he'd be going home if not for immunity and whatnot. I hate it when judges bash on the contestants who did badly in the challenge but got saved with immunity, instead of encouraging that contestant to do better afterwards. If they're going to be so nasty that someone with immunity was saved from their sending him or her home, then why offer immunity in the first place?

Hugh from Top Chef Masters, well, I just hate the freak, so that's that. But Hubert Keller, whom I normally like a lot, disappointed me the most when he said he'd rather keep a contestant who does amazing showpieces than a contestant who does a yummy crumble. I mean, the whole showpiece focus on the season so far is really throwing me off, because I am not a fan of them, and because they're making it so every elimination challenge so far has become a team challenge, and it gets old. Yes, the showpieces are visually stunning, but at the end of the day, when I think of dessert, I think of something yummy I want to eat and enjoy, not some sugary, cakey sculpture that's just going to sit there looking pretty. I want to see "Top Chef Just Desserts", not "Top Sculptor of Sugary Cakey Things You Probably Can't Eat Anyway".

We all know you hate Craig, Orlando. However they don't even need to edit in his sound clips now (if you listen to the episode before this when he calls Craig an idiot, it is CLEARLY a cut and paste quote). Eh, he'll get his come uppins eventually. Most people in reality shows do.

Personally, I do not hate Craig and don't get the hate for him on the show. Sure, he may not be as experienced as most of the others, but he was chosen for a reason. Competitions usually have "newbies" and they can sometimes surprise the competition, like Craig did with the gum challenge. He's there, deal with it. And unlike some other chefs, he isn't ego driven or prone to saying he's hot **** (not even in confessions!).

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    disappointed me the most when he said he'd rather keep a contestant who does amazing showpieces than a contestant who does a yummy crumble.
    Second... you EAT food, not primarily look at it as art.

Also his eyebrows were JACKED UP. I am surprised anybody let him even step in front of a camera. Unibrow AND massive chunks missing from both sides? It's too bad to even post a picture of.
    Last edited by Endit; 09-12-2011 at 11:16 PM.

+ Reply to Thread