+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: All-Stars 3/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: All-Stars 3/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

The promo I just saw said that this week's show is "the last episode before the finale." So it sounds like they are stretching it out an extra week. Plus, there will definitely be a reunion show.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

That's what I've read too--Tom's blog has it that the finale is March 30 and I've seen speculation that it's a head-to-head battle. They really are dragging this season out.

Seems like it will be a final two. I too think they are just dragging this season out. I honestly wish the finale had been last week or even the week before and last week the reunion, instead it looks as if we have 3 more episodes. Way tooooo long.

I do wonder however why Richard and Michael seemed to know where the finale would be and they actually practiced for it by doing conch recipes while the girls seemed to be totally unfocused?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Darn - I'll be on a cruise ship headed to Hawaii when the final airs. (Ok, probably not a "darn" . . . )

Y'all please post lots of details of the finale. I'll be checking the board while on the ship!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I do wonder however why Richard and Michael seemed to know where the finale would be and they actually practiced for it by doing conch recipes while the girls seemed to be totally unfocused?
    Something like this happens every season -- they told the final 5 chefs that the game would be moving from NY to the Bahamas. Every year, the challenges in the semi-finals/finals usually incorporate the local ingredients of the location. Some chefs realize this ahead of time and practice with those ingredients, but others don't think (or care) to do it.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I don't get why all the grumbling about the show being "dragged out". I enjoy the show and wouldn't mind watching it every week for the rest of the year. What a peculiar sentiment. Don't forget, they all made it to the final instead of someone being eliminated so that added another week, unless they were going to eliminate two chefs at once.
    Last edited by rfromp; 03-20-2011 at 09:03 PM. Reason: spelling counts!

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    This episode brought my favorite line of the entire season: "I don't want to see Mike topless. You don't either"
    Too true!

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    I just didn't get the hot soup/ceviche combo. Even if the diners miraculously got her soup the moment she plopped that cold ceviche in it- it would have warmed the ceviche and cooled the soup. My Mom used to put ice cubes in our good old fashioned Campbell's Chicken Noodle when we were kids to cool it down. I hated the hot spots and cold spots- yuck! I am someone who also wants my food (as my husband says...) "hotter than the hinges of Hell".
    Just catching up now (day late and dollar short). Anyhow the soup/ceviche thing reminded me of some of the the less than stellar eateries here where everything comes lukewarm instead of the hot stuff hot and cold stuff cold. Annoys me to death. Rather just have them in two different areas on the dish instead of everything the same, weird temp.

FORT Fogey

Antonia is one of my favorites, and I've been rooting for her all along until the last episode where Richard and Mike discuss how much practicing they did to win this thing. I don't recall hearing either Tiffany or Antonia doing the same. Maybe they did and we just didn't hear it...although both mentioned not having worked with conch before so minimally, they were down one from the boys.

I also think Mike deserve lots of props for having some humility (although, it seems to come and go). He has admitted to actually "learning" and to being a better chef after practising for the show, etc. I like when people actually work hard at something to improve themselves/their position.

Still, I'm not sure if all this is enough to wean me of my Antonia affection. I'm torn. I guess if I had to pick and choose, I'd say Richard for complexity of foods and trying new things, Antonia for excellent flavors and consistency (she must have been in the top 3 more than any other chef). Mike I should get most improved, but....he's been pulling out a few successes lately. Since it all comes down to one dish and things like complexity and consistency don't really matter, he could easily take it.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I have been a bit dubious of the All-Stars season since the start with the elimination of qualified chefs such as Jen and Elia at the get-go and Jaime getting a double pass. Then Angelo, Dale Talde, and Fabio didn't make the final cut. Nor did Tre or Carla or even Tiffani Fasion, whom Tom favored overtly for years. So by "dragging" it out to a head to head competition just means to me that the whole season was designed to give Richard a win. And I like Richard; if I were in Atlanta, I'd hit up his burger place regularly. It all seems just ever so much planned. And perhaps I'll be proven wrong by next Wednesday and it'll be a cousin vs. cousin finale, which the Magical Elves have had in their back pocket for a few weeks now. Plus, I've kind of stopped believing in "you're only as good as your last dish" business since they've incorporated John Besh in their pantheon of guest judges. I've been to his restaurant in New Orleans and he couldn't do steak, trout, or gumbo. He had good fries. So does everyone aside from Burger King.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast