+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: All-Stars 2/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: All-Stars 2/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I'm so sad to see Angelo go. The guy was burnout (his words) I can imagine he and Tiff coming back to back and not having as much time as the rest to relax and reflect on their season.

Go Carla!

It makes me sad to see Tiffany become one of the weaker contestants this season when this time last season, people were livid to see her go before the final. She was a strong contender, but now she has fallen. What happened, Tiffany?

Shocked to see Angelo go, but I wasn't upset at the same time. I was really nervous that Carla would be the one to leave.

I'm betting on a Dale win, but I'm really hoping Carla takes it!
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

I just watched the Top Recipe video on bravotv.com, where Rick Moonen recreated Dale's dish with the same equipment. It's actually a more complex dish than I had thought. I think I'd assumed it was grilled cheese (with a little lunch meat thrown in) with canned tomato soup. I mean, the guy did season and grill a rib-eye, slice it up for the grilled cheese, and create what sounded/looked like a delicious tomato soup from scratch with onions, garlic, bacon, heavy cream and fresh tomatoes. It's still pretty simple, but certainly more complex than Antonia's mussels (which I didn't have a problem with, either).

I personally think Dale's EC win was lame. Grilled cheese and tomato soup? Sometimes the judges complain about simplicity, sometimes they reward it. Lame! I guess it helps I dislike Dale and his gangsta act very much. At least it was understandable why he won the Quickfire. And what a fun Quickfire, I've never liked the Muppets, but I couldn't help but have fun there.

I'm starting to get scared for Carla there, too. So far what sent her to the bottom has been presentation. First in the dim sum challenge, she spent so much time trying to make the plate look pretty that her noodles got cooked wrong and ruined the dish, and this time she spent so much time looking for tablecloths that she was elft with little time to cook a good, flavorful dish. I hope she recovers, especially after seeing next week's preview. My take is she wants redemption because she lost in her season with a sous chef that had been a previous contestant.

So long as Carla and Antonia make the finals, I'll be relieved. Or heck, an all-girl finals. I cannot stand any of the men left. I can't even understand why Isabella's still doing there, honestly.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard View Post
    It makes me sad to see Tiffany become one of the weaker contestants this season when this time last season, people were livid to see her go before the final. She was a strong contender, but now she has fallen. What happened, Tiffany? :
    I think it was a lot doing back-to-back shows. I read where Angelo only had 2 weeks before filming. Tiffany wouldn't have had much longer given that she lasted a long time.

Angelo recounted how many dishes he had to create while on the shows. I never thought about it in a quantified sort of way, but he said the sheer volume requires chefs to be extremely knowledgeable and resourcefull in coming up with new ideas each time.

I think it was Angelo's time to go given the burnout factor...and now it is Tiffany's time to go to for the same reason. I like to think each would have performed better if they had time in between shows.

Quote Originally Posted by texasgal26 View Post
    I just watched the Top Recipe video on bravotv.com, where Rick Moonen recreated Dale's dish with the same equipment. It's actually a more complex dish than I had thought. I think I'd assumed it was grilled cheese (with a little lunch meat thrown in) with canned tomato soup. I mean, the guy did season and grill a rib-eye, slice it up for the grilled cheese, and create what sounded/looked like a delicious tomato soup from scratch with onions, garlic, bacon, heavy cream and fresh tomatoes. It's still pretty simple, but certainly more complex than Antonia's mussels (which I didn't have a problem with, either).
    The only thing simple about Dale's dish was the use of the iron - and that was quite clever, I think.

And, the volume issue Angelo notes above may explain why not every dish is a haute cuisine dish (sp?) - not to mention access to ingredients, tools, and much time.

I appreciate the nature of the show / challenges after reading Angelo's post-show intereview. (I like Angelo a ton!)
    Last edited by Jexter; 02-19-2011 at 01:51 PM.

That's actually very reasonable. I'm impressed that they've both made it this far!
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    I personally think Dale's EC win was lame. Grilled cheese and tomato soup? Sometimes the judges complain about simplicity, sometimes they reward it. Lame!
    I thought so too until I read how much more involved his dishes were. I'm ashamed to say how little I put into making the same meal. A can opener is definitely involved and so is peeling plastic from a slice of cheese.
    To make a soup from scratch, cook and add rib eye to the sandwich, etc. takes it to a whole new level and I don't even like Dale.

For once I'm not going to be bothered by who wins. They all are really doing well. Personality-wise, I like all of them but Dale. He's just too negative and has a chip on his shoulder that doesn't need to be there. Mike is a little rough around the edges but I like him better this time. Antonia and Tiffany are both good and really trying hard. Carla is personality gold. She's so nice, quirky and unique. So I'm ok with any of them.

Yeah ... not so much about the food this season, is it? A $5k cookie that wasn't even baked? A $25k grilled cheese made with an iron? Uhh yeah, I could have won either one of those challenges. Dale was even surprised (not that he won but at how absurd it was). This season is more about goofy challenges and special guests more than it is about food which is why this season is completely invalid in determining "Top Chef".

What was odd about is show was that back in the Top Chef kitchen Padma described the challenge and also said they would also have help from designer Thomas O'Brien and "he'll help you create a great dining experience for the employees" which is why Carla spent so much time shopping for linens and such. The weird part was that we saw no such designer. During the challenge I kept expecting the designer to walk up to the chef's areas and critique the experience they were supposed to create. My guess is that the guy didn't show up at 3 a.m. like he was supposed to so they decided to not judge the chefs on that aspect of the challenge.

FORT Fogey

We did see the designer. He created the dining space for the employees, not the stations.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast