+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Top Chef 9: Texas (premieres Wed. Nov. 2) - News and Speculation

Top Chef 9: Texas (premieres Wed. Nov. 2) - News and Speculation

I just saw this on CNN. Top Chef has hired some new judges for the upcoming season.

Emeril joins 'Top Chef' as new judge: Bam? - CNN.com

I've never been a huge fan of Emeril's and not super excited that he'll be sitting on the judging panel.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Re: Previews, Promos and related media

I can't say that I'm all that excited about Emeril either. I could stand him when he had the plain, half-hour, just him cooking show a long, long while back but when he went live with the audience (and band!) I just lost my patience for him.

Re: Previews, Promos and related media

I'm okay with Emeril for now -- he was a lot more reserved and thoughtful as a judge during the Season 5 finals in New Orleans. Since he'll only be at judges table, maybe they'll dish out just enough of him per episode to keep him that way.

I like Just Desserts and all, but can we just skip past that and go straight to season 9?
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Re: Top Chef Season 9 (premieres Late 2011) - News and Speculation

They announced during Just Desserts that season 9 will be Texas.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

Re: Top Chef 9: Texas (premieres Wed. Nov. 2) - News and Speculation

Here's a press release with more detailed info:
    • In addition to Emeril Lagasse, Hugh Acheson will also be a permanent judge alongside Tom, Gail and Padma.
    • The season will begin with 29 (!) chefs battling to make it to the final cast. (I ain't doing 29 bio threads, I learned my lesson from the 20 designers this season on PR, which turned to 14 in the first episode.)
    • Once the final cast is picked, as chefs are eliminated, they will face off against each other in a "Redemption Island" type competition, and eventually the chef who survives the side comps will be allowed to return to the competition. The short Redemption comps won't be included in the TV show, but will be broadcast online as a companion to each episode.
    BRAVO'S "TOP CHEF: TEXAS" PREMIERES WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 2 AT 10 PM ET/PT

29 Chefs Take on Texas Along With Guest Judges And Stars Including Charlize Theron, Pee-wee Herman, Cat Cora, John Besh, Tim Love, Patti LaBelle With New Series Judges Emeril Lagasse And Hugh Acheson

NEW YORK - September 21, 2011 - It's a whole new ballgame for the competing chefs on Bravo's "Top Chef: Texas," premiering Wednesday, November 2 at 10 p.m. ET/PT. For the first-time ever, season nine will boast a record 29 chefs - almost double the amount of chefs in season's past - who will see if they have what it takes to become an official chef'testant and qualify to wear the Top Chef coat. Only 16 will go on to compete across the Lone Star State - in Austin, Dallas and San Antonio. In what will prove to be the most challenging season yet, some of the biggest names in food, music and entertainment including Charlize Theron, Pee-wee Herman, Cat Cora, John Besh, Tim Love, Patti LaBelle will be featured this season on "Top Chef: Texas." Returning to the Judges' table is host Padma Lakshmi and head judge, chef Tom Colicchio, alongside judges Gail Simmons and new this season, famed chef and restaurateur Emeril Lagasse and critically acclaimed chef Hugh Acheson. For more information, visit Top Chef, Real Housewives, Inside the Actors Studio, and Other Bravo TV Shows - Bravo TV Official Site | Bravo TV Official Site. Follow us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/BravoPR.

Head judge Tom Colicchio says, "Just like Texas, this will be our biggest season ever." Adds Host Padma Lakshmi, "I'm so excited for everyone at home to get a glimpse of all the great and talented chefs. This season is bigger and better than ever! Yum!"

The "Top Chef: Texas" chef'testants will be skewered down week by week as they compete to out-flavor, out-cook and out-do their competition. The winning chef will receive $125,000 furnished by Healthy Choice, a feature in Food & Wine magazine, a showcase at the Annual Food & Wine Classic in Aspen and will earn the title of "Top Chef." The Emmy Award-winning Magical Elves return to produce "Top Chef: Texas." Dan Cutforth and Jane Lipsitz serve as executive producers. To check out exclusive casting videos for all 29 hopefuls, go to: Top Chef Texas Casting Video Player - Bravo TV Official Site | Bravo TV Official Site

Following are the 29 "Top Chef: Texas" hopefuls:

Nyesha Arrington, 28 - Los Angeles, Calif., Wilshire Restaurant.

Lindsay Autry, 29 - West Palm Beach, Fla., Omphoy Ocean Resort &Michelle Bernstein

Jonathan Baltazar, 36 - Long Beach, Calif., Heights Cuisine.

Ty-L'r Boring, 34 - Brooklyn, N.Y., Spasso

Molly Brandt, 30 - Hollywood, Fla., Allure of the Seas for Royal Caribbean

Chaz Brown, 29 - New York, N.Y., Fatty Crab

Kimberly Calichio, 27 - New York, N.Y., Fishtail by David Burke

Beverly Kim, 31 - Chicago, Ill., Aria Restaurant

Chris Crary, 29 - Los Angeles, Calif., Whist Restaurant in the Viceroy Hotel

Andrew Curren, 32 - Austin, Texas , 24 Diner

Berenice deAraujo, 33 - Miami, Fla., Sra. Martinez

Janine Falvo, 37 - Atlanta, Ga., Briza Restaurant

Richie Farina, 28 - Chicago, Ill., MOTO

Sarah Grueneberg, 29 - Chicago, Ill., Spiaggia

Chris Jones, 30 - Chicago, Ill., MOTO

Edward Lee, 38 - Louisville, Ky., 610 Magnolia

Whitney Otawka, 30 - Cumberland Island, Ga., Greyfield Inn

Simon Pantet, 30 - Seattle, Wash., Twenty-Two Doors

Colin Patterson, 37 - Seattle, Wash., Sutra

Laurent Quenioux, 51 - Los Angeles, Calif., Vertical Wine Bistro

Paul Qui, 30 - Austin, Texas, Uchiko Restaurant

Keith Rhodes, 39 - Wilmington, N.C., Catch Restaurants

Grayson Schmitz, 27 - New York, N.Y., Exec. Chef

Tyler Stone, 22 - Sacramento, Calif., Personal Chef

Heather Terhune, 39 - Chicago, Ill., Sable Kitchen and Bar

Chuy Valencia, 25 - Chicago, Ill., Chilam Bilam

Nina Vicente, 29 - Seattle, Wash., Spur Gastropub

Ashley Villaluz, 25 - Seattle, Wash., Sous Chef

Dakota Weiss , 35 - Los Angeles, Calif., 9:30 Restaurant and The Backyard

New this season, eliminated chef'testants will have a second chance at the "Top Chef" title through a "Top Chef: Last Chance Kitchen" webisode series, hosted by "Top Chef" lead judge and culinary mastermind, Tom Colicchio. Each week, two eliminated chef'testants face-off to compete for the ultimate prize -- a chance to return to the show and compete to qualify for the on-air finale. Fans can follow the "Top Chef: Last Chance Kitchen" challenges and vote in each week's Tweet Battle on BravoTV.com, as well as join in the social conversation on the Tweet Tracker. This exciting new series can be seen on BravoTV.com, m.BravoTV.com, on BravoNow iPhone, iPad and Android apps, as well as Hulu, iTunes, Amazon, VOD, Zune, Playstation and wireless carriers.

Read more: Breaking News - Bravo's "Top Chef: Texas" Premieres Wednesday, November 2 at 10 PM ET/PT | TheFutonCritic.com Breaking News - Bravo's "Top Chef: Texas" Premieres Wednesday, November 2 at 10 PM ET/PT | TheFutonCritic.com
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I hadn't checked the Top Chef area of the Bravo site in a while -- it turns out that Top Chef: Healthy Showdown, a web show featuring returning chefs competing for $25,000, is already underway. Four mini-episodes are already posted:

Top Chef Season 9 - Top Chef Healthy Showdown - Bravo TV Official Site

Tre, Casey, and Sara from season 3 and Ryan from season 5 are the contestants.
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 10-11-2011 at 03:16 AM.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

There's a "Meet the Hopefuls" video up at BravoTV.com -- I imagine they're waiting on posting actual chef bios until the 29(!) chefs are whittled down to a more workable number in the first episode(s):

Top Chef Texas Casting Video Player - Bravo TV Official Site | Bravo TV Official Site
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

In the preview we see Tom ask one chef to leave in the middle of a butchering challenge. It appears he was so bad at it there was no point in continuing.

That one clip made it look like the whittling down takes place during that challenge which is probably the first one. The best butchering stays the others leave right there.

FORT Fan

Did anyone else notice that this isn't the only cooking show Nyesha has been on? Saw her on Food Channel's "Chef Hunter" where she got the executive chef job at Wilshire.
    Chef Hunter Videos : Food Network

I'm not surprised as much when that happens these days -- there are too many chef competition shows on TV now. While there are lots of chefs in the US, the number of chefs who are willing to apply to these shows must be much smaller.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

+ Reply to Thread