+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: All-Stars 2/2 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: All-Stars 2/2 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4177493;

Well, maybe if Richard just came out of his shell a little more....
    Nice.

My adoration of Fabio aside, I was happy to see Antonia win a challenge. I think she's a very talented chef and one of the more amusing people on the show. I really liked her during her season as well.

I was glad Mike didn't go home. It seemed like the concept for his dish was fine, as were the other components of the dish. He bugged me during his season, but I've come to see how talented he is this season. He knew exactly what went wrong and didn't really have a way of resolving it in such a short time.

Regarding Bourdain - sometimes his attitude can grate on me a little, but I've been on a Bourdain-book-reading-binge for the past few weeks, so I do understand a little more where he's coming from. He is incredibly passionate about food, and takes any kind of "food crime" (e.g., for him, cooking steak "well done," or creating an over-complicated Italian dish) as a personal affront. But he's also eager to gush over anything he sees as a food triumph. Unfortunately, I think on TC, his negative comments make better sound bites than his positive comments. On No Reservations you get more of a sense of his appreciation for good food and talented chefs.

I'm in no way an expert on Italian food, but I do know that different regions have different types and there's not just one kind of Italian food. While we were in Italy a couple years ago we had a dish very similar to Antonia's mussels. It was really yummy, but then I like mussels.

At the beginning they said something about stripping a recipe down to just the basic ingredients so that you could taste each one and by that criteria Antonia's seems a good choice. I was surprised to see Carla in the top 4, although I love Carla it didn't seem like her minestrone was all that popular.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by texasgal26;4178067;
    My adoration of Fabio aside, I was happy to see Antonia win a challenge. I think she's a very talented chef and one of the more amusing people on the show. I really liked her during her season as well.
    I like her too and I'm glad she won. Antonia seems like a person who will let you know she's good by cooking good instead of by telling you over and over again like Mike, Angelo, and a few others. I like that.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by texasgal26;4178067;
    Nice.

I was glad Mike didn't go home. It seemed like the concept for his dish was fine, as were the other components of the dish. He bugged me during his season, but I've come to see how talented he is this season. He knew exactly what went wrong and didn't really have a way of resolving it in such a short time.

Regarding Bourdain - sometimes his attitude can grate on me a little, but I've been on a Bourdain-book-reading-binge for the past few weeks, so I do understand a little more where he's coming from. He is incredibly passionate about food, and takes any kind of "food crime" (e.g., for him, cooking steak "well done," or creating an over-complicated Italian dish) as a personal affront. But he's also eager to gush over anything he sees as a food triumph. Unfortunately, I think on TC, his negative comments make better sound bites than his positive comments. On No Reservations you get more of a sense of his appreciation for good food and talented chefs.
    I've seen lots of the chefs in a different light this time around. Some for better, and some for worse. Generally, the personalities that sorted of grated on me in their own seasons have been more palatable this time around - except Jaimie. She was great on her season but kind of a dud this season.

The other thing are the chef skills. Dale is killing it but he didn't impress during his season. Blais hit it out of the ballpark his season but hasn't impressed to the same degree this season. Same with Angelo.

I adore Mike. I never disliked him his season, but I *really* like him this time around. He's funny, charming, etc. I always thought he was a good chef - and this season is no exception. He seems like a genuinely good guy. And, like most in/from New Jersey, he calls 'em like he sees 'em.

The funny thing about Antonia is that she is on the top quite often. And, when she isn't its usually when she is part of a team and it never seems to be her fault. She seems very educated about food and how to cook it. I'm not sure she is the creative type like Richard or Angelo, but she knows a ton and what she does do, she does very well.

She and Carla are probably the most underrated chefs remaining - if not from all seasons. They aren't tough girls like Jen or Casey or stoic like Stephanie Izard. they are goofy and playful and I think its hard to see past that to their food.

Quote Originally Posted by dottie20;4177986;
    Tre being sent home is absolutely ridiculous. You didn't hear any of the judges saying his dish was inedible, whereas Dale's they said wasn't very good. How Mike didn't go home with his undercooked pasta dish is beyond me. I'm done with this show.
    I heard the judges say it wasn't risotto and the rice wasn't done right.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;4178827;
    The funny thing about Antonia is that she is on the top quite often. And, when she isn't its usually when she is part of a team and it never seems to be her fault. She seems very educated about food and how to cook it. I'm not sure she is the creative type like Richard or Angelo, but she knows a ton and what she does do, she does very well.

She and Carla are probably the most underrated chefs remaining - if not from all seasons. They aren't tough girls like Jen or Casey or stoic like Stephanie Izard. they are goofy and playful and I think its hard to see past that to their food.
    What is very apparent is that you can see the disrespect the other chefs have for Antonia. Maybe as a female she doesn't toot her own horn as much as Tre and Mike Isabella do but come on guys show some sportsmanship...the level of silence at her win was deafening. Maybe it's a guy thing, their egos automatically say "I'm great", "I'm the best and the rest suck". Perphaps a bit too much of Marcel rubbed off on Tre, Mike and Dale. Grow up gentlemen.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

i thought dale should've gone home, not tre.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;4177465;
    I really wish I had a bowl of Carla's Minestrone right now. Incredibly sad to see Tre go....He and Dale are my favorites.

[QUOTE=Tilden;4177493;]
    Quote Originally Posted by texasgal26;4177459;
    Has anyone been watching the "After Hours" videos on bravotv.com? There are some really funny clips. My favorite is one of Fabio going on about missing his turtle while Richard gets a little jealous that he's not enough for him.

Well, maybe if Richard just came out of his shell a little more....
    That was funny. (I hope you were referring to turtles & shells.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4177401;
    Is anyone else now officially tired of Anthony Bourdain? I'm sick of his attempts to be wittier than anyone else at the table and his macho guy act. I can handle him once in a while but not as a constant presence. Doesn't he have some deep-fried insects he needs to try somewhere on a distant continent?
    Yes, he does tend to grate on my nerves also. Sometimes people who try to be witty just overdo it. Not every single thing he says has to be witty.

Quote Originally Posted by marauder;4177846;
    If you watch the Eric Ripert's video blog you will see that he doesn't consider Antonia's dish to be French and I think he tends to be an expert on that type of stuff. One of the other bloggers on the TLC page (can't remember which one right now) said that all the people in the restaurant felt it was a classic Italian dish. Also Tom even addressed it a little farther by saying that the requirements weren't to make an ITALIAN dish, they were to make a family dish. Just because most of the judges were Italian didn't mean it HAD to be Italian.
    Then I disagree with Tom because the challenge, according to Bravo's web site says "the chefs prepare a traditional three-course Italian meal in one of New York's most famous and exclusive restaurants, Rao's."
    But, given that, I'm sure Antonia's dish was Italian but might have originated in France. It wouldn't be unusal for areas that are close, geographically, to have receipes (and traditions) that have crossed the border with some changes.

Even though I adore Fabio, I was happy to see Antonia win but next time, it's Fabio's turn to win. And shame on the chefs in the stew room who were so hesitant to congratulate her on her win.
    Last edited by Dragonlady; 02-05-2011 at 03:56 AM.

[QUOTE=thedragonlady;4180227;]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4177493;
    Then I disagree with Tom because the challenge, according to Bravo's web site says "the chefs prepare a traditional three-course Italian meal in one of New York's most famous and exclusive restaurants, Rao's."
    But, given that, I'm sure Antonia's dish was Italian but might have originated in France. It wouldn't be unusal for areas that are close, geographically, to have receipes (and traditions) that have crossed the border with some changes.
    Tom, Bourdain, and Ripert all took issue with Fabio's comment, but for different reason. Bourdain suggested the flavors are typical of Sicilian cuisine (noting Fabio is from Florence). Ripert said the flavors aren't French even though the French often cook w/ mussels, and gave several examples of French preparations of mussels. Tom I thought cut Fabio the most slack. He said that while Fabio's dish was Italian, Antonia's was Italian-American, which was fine for the challenge. He explained that Italian-Americans often found they had different ingredients available in the U.S., so they stuck to the basics of Italian cooking (the flavor profiles, good ingredients, simple combinations) but with different ingredients. I actually liked his explanation and thought he was still placing an emphasis on the "Italian" theme of the challenge.

FORT Fogey

I searched the internet, and found a typical menu for Rao's Las Vegas on-line. It included mussels in wine sauce as an anti-pasti. Isn't that confirmation that it would be an appropriate thing to serve at Rao's?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast