+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: All-Stars 1/19 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: All-Stars 1/19 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

For fellow Fabio lovers, you might enjoy his blog: Fabio on Top Chef Restaurant Wars | Chef Fabio Viviani

Quote Originally Posted by texasgal26;4160571;
    I feel like they're trying to find chefs that not only can cook a good individual dish, but can succeed in the other areas it takes to be a successful chef. Someone who wants to be an executive chef, or wants to have his/her own restaurant, has to do more than cook good food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4160516;
    --But dessert is food, isn't it? And normally, I wouldn't think front of house was as important on this show, but they make it important in some challenges, particularly in restaurant wars, and if they're going to do have a restaurant war graded by customers, then service is important. People don't generally go back to restaurants where the service isn't good.
    Quote Originally Posted by pretlitdev;4161779;
    in regards to judging them on qualities beyond their obvious talent at cooking, I think it was one of Anthony Bourdain's blogs where he makes the point that the definition of a chef is a leader of cooks. He wrote that a person could be the best cook in the world, but if they can't lead a team of other cooks, they will never be a successful chef.
    I totally agree there's more to being a great chef than the cooking itself. However, unless all of them are put in the front of house position then it's impossible to know who truly is the best and that's my problem with this season. There's no set standard of baseline qualities and a way to test those qualities of everyone to be able to determine who indeed is top chef. It seems like the winner of this season is going to be the one who can survive through random challenges the longest. Not top chef in my opinion.
    Last edited by rfromp; 01-27-2011 at 07:48 AM. Reason: spelling counts!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4162535;
    Marcel's interview with TV Guide.
    Oh, and Carla loves him and Jaime must have been sleeping with someone else she would have been kicked off sooner.
    Not unless it was Padma.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4166610;
    Not unless it was Padma.
    Maybe Gail?
    Revenge is ice cream.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by rfromp;4166233;
    I totally agree there's more to being a great chef than the cooking itself. However, unless all of them are put in the front of house position then it's impossible to know who truly is the best and that's my problem with this season. There's no set standard of baseline qualities and a way to test those qualities of everyone to be able to determine who indeed is top chef. It seems like the winner of this season is going to be the one who can survive through random challenges the longest. Not top chef in my opinion.
    That's one of the big problems with determining who is eliminated based solely on the most recent challenge. Someone can survive longer than he/she should, simply because for a couple of weeks running, another, better chef happened to have a bad day or have something go wrong beyond his/her control. Sometimes I wish they'd each receive a score every week and the person with the lowest overall score for all the weeks up to the point of elimination would be sent home. I suppose there's not enough drama over who might be eliminated that way, but it would be fairer--more like an overall GPA rather than the grade on a single exam determining a contestant's fate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4168125;
    That's one of the big problems with determining who is eliminated based solely on the most recent challenge. Someone can survive longer than he/she should, simply because for a couple of weeks running, another, better chef happened to have a bad day or have something go wrong beyond his/her control. Sometimes I wish they'd each receive a score every week and the person with the lowest overall score for all the weeks up to the point of elimination would be sent home. I suppose there's not enough drama over who might be eliminated that way, but it would be fairer--more like an overall GPA rather than the grade on a single exam determining a contestant's fate.
    That's great idea, just like on Junior MasterChef Australia, the contestents had two challenges per episode and the highest top scores moved on while the lowest score was eliminated. If these contestants were judged solely on the quality of their dish(s) each week that would be the most fair way to determine who gets cut and who stays.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie;4162653;
    No new Top Chef episode tomorrow, 1/26?? Boo!!
    Thanks for posting this, I came here to see if I'd missed a show. DVR acting up and some shows aren't getting recorded. So glad to know I didn't miss a show.

eta: Thanks for the Fabio article. I just love him.
    Last edited by live4romance; 01-29-2011 at 03:35 PM.
    Friends are those rare people who ask how you are and then wait for the answer. ~Author Unknown

Fabio is a nut. He was annoying at first this time. But now, he is the Fabio we have come to know and love!
    Merry Christmas!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456