+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: All-Stars 1/19 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

To the Point

Re: All-Stars 1/19 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I was so glad to see Marcel go.

I can't say that I'm a huge fan of anyone, I just enjoy the show. That being said, I think I may have fallen a little bit in love with Fabio on this episode. He was amazing! He handled everyone in just the right way.

I've not watched this for a while.
    Is Tiffany still in the running? She was my favorite last season.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4155566;
    As for Mike saying Marcel is an okay guy, he just needs to grow up and figure out how to talk to people, I immediately thought, "How much longer do we need to wait for him to grow up?"
    My immediate thought was, why hasn't Mike grown up yet? If he is so much older and therefore by his (inaccurate) self-assessment more mature, then why was he acting like such a brat? Angelo was the only one on that team who had the maturity to realize you have to support your team captain - undermining in that childish, self-centered way only sabotages the team. Mike needed to suck it up and start acting like a reasonable adult.

Yes, Marcel will have an easier time of it if he can figure out how to deal with the jerks of the world, and stop being one himself, but they in their turn (especially Mike) should not be acting so obstreperously and expecting everyone to meet them only on their own jackass-like terms in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker;4156315;
    I think I may have fallen a little bit in love with Fabio on this episode. He was amazing! He handled everyone in just the right way.
    He really was a front-of-the-house star. We like him. And Richard Blais is the biggest star of all. He could be a Top Chef Master as far as I'm conderned. If he doesn't win this season, something is seriously wrong.

I agree, this was disaster right from the start. But I see it as 50/50. True, Marcel is a weirdo and not easy to deal with (though I think others like Richard and Dale are much bigger jerks), but it goes both ways, as most of the others had clearly decided even before the challenge began that they were not gonna listen to him and not even try to deal with him or plans things out for success. Angelo, much as I dislike him, I give him huge credit for trying to do the reasonable thing, but by that point it was too late and Marcel had completely lost it, with the whole kitchen following suit. So, yeah, Marcel is at fault for the loss, but so is most of the team too.

And I still fail to understand what was wrong with Tiffany's front of the house performance? Why did the judges hate her so much? Sure she had a few mishaps, but I really don't get why they were so bugged about her. I'd have no problem with her being front of the house in a restaurant I went to, to me she did just fine.

And whomever said Fabio deserved the win for doing the double duty of a great dish and excellent front of the house (the task nobody wants), I fully agree with you. I personally think he did the best and deserved the win more than Richard Blah did.

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant;4158162;
    And I still fail to understand what was wrong with Tiffany's front of the house performance? Why did the judges hate her so much? Sure she had a few mishaps, but I really don't get why they were so bugged about her. I'd have no problem with her being front of the house in a restaurant I went to, to me she did just fine.

And whomever said Fabio deserved the win for doing the double duty of a great dish and excellent front of the house (the task nobody wants), I fully agree with you. I personally think he did the best and deserved the win more than Richard Blah did.
    Tiffany was not very effective at managing the waitstaff. Being loud certainly didn't help in that it highlighted the fact that she was "schmoozing" more than she was managing and directing.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant;4158162;
    I agree, this was disaster right from the start. But I see it as 50/50. True, Marcel is a weirdo and not easy to deal with (though I think others like Richard and Dale are much bigger jerks), but it goes both ways, as most of the others had clearly decided even before the challenge began that they were not gonna listen to him and not even try to deal with him or plans things out for success. Angelo, much as I dislike him, I give him huge credit for trying to do the reasonable thing, but by that point it was too late and Marcel had completely lost it, with the whole kitchen following suit. So, yeah, Marcel is at fault for the loss, but so is most of the team too.

I said Fabio deserved the win for double duty (though others said similar things too), not just because he created a praiseworthy dessert in addition to handling front of the house so well but because that dish was a dessert. Nobody ever wants to do front of the house or dessert, and he did both of them very well. On top of that, he calmed Dale down when he started losing it, and he was the one Richard turned to when he was freaking out about being eliminated. Unfortunately, when the judges asked about who was in charge of the kitchen and Dale said he was executive chef (which he was), Richard chimed in that he was the advisor and everyone else in the kitchen was very supportive of Richard. I'm not saying that they should't have been, but having watched the show a second time today, I think they were seeing things only from the perspective of being in the kitchen and really weren't thinking about how much Fabio's front of the house skills contributed to their win. I suspect that might be a prejudice shared by many chefs--front of the house and dessert just aren't seen as important as cooking an entree. However, in restaurant wars, front of the house has often been a big contribution to the win--witness Dave in the first season.

As for the judges picking on Tiffany, they were certainly very complimentary of her in her own season, and I don't think it was just her big laugh that caused them to be upset with the way she handled front of the house. At one point, they noticed that there were no servers anywhere on the floor, which should never happen, and at that very moment, Tiffany was off chatting up a table. Some of the waitstaff clearly looked lost at times as well. On top of that, the judges had to tell Tiffany that they were getting hungry, which means they were receiving slow service--not something you want. Tiffany also had the distinct disadvantage of following Fabio, whom Tom had specifically praised for how carefully he was overseeing the servers in addition to schmoozing the customers. I suspect Fabio has a whole lot more front of house experience than Tiffany, but they were put head to head by their teams, so the judges had to consider them as equal opponents, so to speak. It would have been very hard for Tiffany to come out ahead in that kind of situation unless Fabio had really fouled up, and he didn't. Even Tiffany herself made a comment about how Fabio was able to get out on the floor and get things organized long before she did, which put her at a disadvantage, because she was still working on her dish whereas Fabio had a dish that required less on-site preparation.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4158439;
    I said Fabio deserved the win for double duty (though others said similar things too), not just because he created a praiseworthy dessert in addition to handling front of the house so well but because that dish was a dessert. Nobody ever wants to do front of the house or dessert, and he did both of them very well. On top of that, he calmed Dale down when he started losing it, and he was the one Richard turned to when he was freaking out about being eliminated. Unfortunately, when the judges asked about who was in charge of the kitchen and Dale said he was executive chef (which he was), Richard chimed in that he was the advisor and everyone else in the kitchen was very supportive of Richard. I'm not saying that they should't have been, but having watched the show a second time today, I think they were seeing things only from the perspective of being in the kitchen and really weren't thinking about how much Fabio's front of the house skills contributed to their win. I suspect that might be a prejudice shared by many chefs--front of the house and dessert just aren't seen as important as cooking an entree. However, in restaurant wars, front of the house has often been a big contribution to the win--witness Dave in the first season.
    I agree with this - it should have been Fabio's win. However, I think that there was some editing in the judges table we were shown. I'm sure it goes on longer than we see, and I think they probably cut out a part of the judges asking Richard what he did. I don't think he just jumped in on his own, at least it didn't seem that way.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4158523;
    I agree with this - it should have been Fabio's win. However, I think that there was some editing in the judges table we were shown. I'm sure it goes on longer than we see, and I think they probably cut out a part of the judges asking Richard what he did. I don't think he just jumped in on his own, at least it didn't seem that way.
    I don't dislike Richard, but if there was editing at the point at which he jumped in, they must have done it awfully well, because it seemed quite seamless from the point at which Dale said he was executive chef (which he was) and Richard interrupted him to mention his input. I've seen the episode twice now, and I was struck both times by that, because it seemed unlike Richard, and from what we saw, Dale was, in fact, executive chef, and I think that was fine with the rest of them, because the executive chef often takes the blame if the the team loses and, like front of the house or dessert, no one really wanted to be in that position. Dale could afford to be, because he had immunity.

If there was editing, it might have been something we missed in the kitchen that prompted Richard to jump in so quickly. But he did jump in on his own and interrupt Dale when Dale said he was executive chef. Frankly, something seemed off about Richard in this episode. He was really anxiety-ridden, even worrying because there wasn't a crisis in the kitchen. He wouldn't believe Fabio when Fabio told him the judges were loving the food either, which clearly struck Fabio as bizarre, since there would be no point at all in him lying about that, and it's not really like Fabio has the kind of sense of humor that he would joke about such a thing, knowing how freaked out Richard was. I realize the previous competition hadn't gone well for Richard, but he really can't let something like that stress him out so much if he expects to win this thing.

I, also, am in agreement re Fabio winning for this challenge. He was a complete pro at everything he did that night.
    Unfortunately, I think the judges couldn't step out of the box and award someone the win who wasn't in the kitchen, cooking, prepping, etc. Fabio made it look so easy and smooth that they overlooked the importance of the "conductor of the orchestra."
    Yes, I've always adored Fabio but that's not the basis for this opinion.
    Although he can kiss my hand any time he wants to.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;4159011;
    I, also, am in agreement re Fabio winning for this challenge. He was a complete pro at everything he did that night.
    Unfortunately, I think the judges couldn't step out of the box and award someone the win who wasn't in the kitchen, cooking, prepping, etc. Fabio made it look so easy and smooth that they overlooked the importance of the "conductor of the orchestra."
    Yes, I've always adored Fabio but that's not the basis for this opinion.
    Although he can kiss my hand any time he wants to.
    Thing is, while he wasn't in the kitchen, prior to taking over on the floor, he had been in the kitchen and preparing a dessert that the judges universally loved. Really, he did both his job as a chef and his job as front of house person well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast