+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: All-Stars 1/5 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

All-Stars 1/5 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Please keep all discussion in here until 11PM PT / 2AM ET.

Enjoy the show!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

Re: All-Stars 1/5 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Mike Isabella is one lucky chef. This was clearly an elimination challenge for which you would want immunity.

I don't mind the speediness of the challenge, but I think that should have been enough. Combining it with a specific cuisine with which a couple of contestants (Angelo and Dale) have more experience than anyone else seems to give them a distinct advantage. Also, while I like Chinese food and I like dim sum, I think it's more interesting when they cook a variety of types of food in different styles.

Oh, and when are the cheftestants going to learn that it's hardly ever a good idea to do more than one dish? It seems a little strange, too, that it didn't occur to more of them that whatever they chose to do, they should keep in mind that it should be something that could be banged out quickly in large quantities.

I hope Casey doesn't get eliminated, but she should have known better than to trust an unusual dish like chicken feet to someone else, particularly when that person was already working with someone else on a second dish and is not the fastest person in the kitchen.

FORT Fogey

While Casey choosing to do an unusual dish with a difficult ingredient and then allowing someone else to cook it was a very bad idea, I hate it when a chef is essentially punished for someone else's cooking.

And what exactly does it take to get rid of Jamie? Maybe Casey's dish was bad, but Antonia cooked it--and it sounded like she didn't do what Casey asked--and at least Casey contributed in another way by working the front of the house. Jamie did two things and did them both poorly. I'm getting very tired of her surviving past other, better chefs.

Looks like tempers may flare next week. Dale's been remarkably calm compared to his season, but if he goes off on Marcel, that's fine with me. Unlike some of the other chefs, Marcel doesn't seem to have matured at all since his season.

Jaime is like the Teflon Chef-you just can't make anything stick to her hard enough to get her out the door. Never been a Casey fan, but wish Jaime had left. Still, it was not wise of Casey to pick a dish she knew so little about and then leave it in the hands of someone who had their hands in two other dishes as well.

I really didn't enjoy this challenge very much. Also, did I miss something along the way regarding the winner of the EC? I didn't hear a prize for Dale. Is it because they gave away a car in the QF?
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

When Tom said Casey's dish was inedible it pretty much ment she was getting the boot. You can't get much worse than noone will eat it.

What is it with these chefs? I would question whether they have ever watched this show before...oh wait, they have all BEEN ON THIS SHOW BEFORE!

Two dishes? When has that ever been a good idea? Letting someone else cook your dish? That hasn't gotten anyone booted before? Hmmm, that's not right. More often than not when you let someone else cook your dish you go home. How many front of house people have been booted in Restaurant Wars? Not to mention other challenges where this has happened.

Honestly, they would make me happy if they would stop doing team dishes. A good chef usually goes home in those type of challenges.

Jaime is past her experation and totally out of her league, but Casey screwed up. She picked a tough dish, then let someone else cook it. For that she really did deserve to go home.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

FORT Fogey

Casey - once again - proves she's not the brightest bulb in the bunch. Unfortunately it got her sent home earlier than she deserved to go. But really, she just made bad decisions all the way down the line. She picked a difficult and strange dish to do in a challenge where time would be very constricted. She chose to do this dish, which probably no one could help her on given it's strangeness, and also volunteered to be outside the kitchen. She then asked someone else to do it. And she chose someone who was not only working on 2 other dishes, but working with the worst chef in the bunch!

Antonia seems like she needs to learn to say no. She never should have done the dish with Jaime. Why do people keep helping her? If Jaime wanted to do two dishes, she should have done them on her own. And she shouldn't have agreed to do Casey's dish on top of that. Wasn't there anyone else who could have done it? Wouldn't Dale or Angelo have been the logical choice? I'm sure Angelo would have helped her out.

There's something off about Angelo, but I no longer think it's that he's sneaky. I think he's just odd.

I like Dale this time around. I like what he's in it for, and I like his story. And if that picture of a baby that he had was his, she's adorable!

I think they are keeping Jamie for dramatic purposes at this point because it's certainly not her cooking. They know fans will be ticked she's still there and the chefs aren't happy about it either. They like the drama of it. The shame is that better chefs keep going instead. I still don't think she gets to the end but it will be interesting to see if she makes it through another double elimination.

I agree with AsIs: when the chefs say something is inedible, that's a sure sign someone's going home. I really wanted Jamie to go home, but it was pretty clear that Casey's dish was worse. I'm not convinced that she would have cooked it better herself. I was just relieved that Tre, Carla, and Antonia were spared.

Unlike a show like Project Runway, I almost always feel like the chef with the worst performance gets the boot on this show. There are few feel-good finale winners (I know I'm in the minority having rooted for Hung in S3, and Michael S6), and often a favorite gets sent home way too early. I don't think Jamie brings any interesting drama to the show, and I don't think she's one of the stronger chefs remaining, so I absolutely don't believe the chefs are keeping her around for any reason other than her dish wasn't as bad as Casey's. She slips by yet again.

I did notice, by the way, that the judges said the flavor of the long beans dish was "underdeveloped," and that Antonia told her it needed more flavor (and Jamie fought her on it). I think Antonia is just a much stronger chef.

Susur was a nice guest judge. I liked him on Top Chef Masters and was happy to see him again. I will never forget his confusion about what "tailgating" was.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4140042;
    I don't mind the speediness of the challenge, but I think that should have been enough. Combining it with a specific cuisine with which a couple of contestants (Angelo and Dale) have more experience than anyone else seems to give them a distinct advantage. Also, while I like Chinese food and I like dim sum, I think it's more interesting when they cook a variety of types of food in different styles.

Oh, and when are the cheftestants going to learn that it's hardly ever a good idea to do more than one dish? It seems a little strange, too, that it didn't occur to more of them that whatever they chose to do, they should keep in mind that it should be something that could be banged out quickly in large quantities.
    I did like, though, that Angelo and Dale, knowing that they would have an advantage in this cuisine, also volunteered to do a second course - the Cheung Fun with Shrimp, which seemed to be a favorite in addition to their individual dishes. Together they put out three strong dishes yet remained relatively calm. I just wish they could have done something to save the crappy service. More and more I'm convinced they're two of the strongest chefs there.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs;4140061;
    When Tom said Casey's dish was inedible it pretty much ment she was getting the boot. You can't get much worse than noone will eat it.
    Well, not necessarily. Who was it, Arianne in S5 that had Padma spit her dish out? I thought for sure she'd be going home and she managed to sneak by. I agree with you though-as soon as the judges noticed that even with diners fighting over getting food at all that they were still ignoring Casey's dish, I figured she was going home.

Jamie keeps getting very lucky. She manages to be just a smidge better than the worst dish (or not have to serve at all) and those are the only things that are keeping her in the competition. She really doesn't seem to be too interested in competing this time around though, I wish she'd just step up and say she'd like to go home.

That quickfire was intense! Still, it was cool to see Tom step up and cook. Now none of the chefs can ever complain about how quick time goes by, because if Tom can kick butt that quickly, they should be able to as well! Possibly for the first time ever I thought Marcel was a genius for grabbing Tom's fish and avoiding the fridge rush....and then just a few minutes later I was hating his guts again for that "Well maybe Tom's still tasting my dish when he's eating Mike's" remark.

Clearly a lot of the chefs hadn't thought out the challenge. Mike noticed it during service, that EVERY dish (barring Tre's) was hot and had a lot of components. They shouldn't have approached it as every chef for himself, but AS a team. Dinner Impossible comes to my mind as a good example of what should have happened-what they needed were some dishes served cold or at room temp, things that could mostly be assembled ahead of time and finished up either in an assembly line or with one final hot component, and then just a few hot dishes cooked to order. With every chef making a hot dish with lots of steps to plating, they were never going to have great service. Although it seemed like NO ONE thought to even start plating until the diners were already seated. Might as well shoot yourself in the foot right at the start of a race.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast