+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Richard Blais - All-Stars / Top Chef Judge

Re: Richard - All-Stars

I didn't see that as egotistical as much as being hard on himself. While it may sound like a slight to Stephanie, the truth us she (like so many Top Chef winners) seems to have dropped off the radar. Meanwhile, Blais has managed to leverage his time on Top Chef into a higher profile career as a chef and TV star. I would bet twice as many people remember Richard as they do Stephanie, even though she won.

He is a big geek, and his wheels are always turning, and he tends to express a lot that's going on in his head. But I've never seen him as being hostile, arrogant or dismissive.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

He is definitely my favorite for this season. It is funny how different people's perspective can be, because I see him as way more humble than 90% of the other contestants on this show! He is way above their skill and reputation, and yet he is down to earth and nice to everyone.

I think most chef's have an ego. My daughter is in culinary school and dealing with big personalities is just part of the deal.

Anyone who says that the thing most people remember about their whole season is that they lost is definitely narcissistic. That's saying my losing was more significant to other people than anything else that happened the entire time, including the winner's winning.

He may be an incredible chef-- I don't know, I've never eaten anything he's cooked-- but he does have an attitude--and he does seem cold and entitled to me. I don't find him likeable, although he's an interesting character.

Cavendish

Quote Originally Posted by cavendish;4132553;
    Anyone who says that the thing most people remember about their whole season is that they lost is definitely narcissistic. That's saying my losing was more significant to other people than anything else that happened the entire time, including the winner's winning.

He may be an incredible chef-- I don't know, I've never eaten anything he's cooked-- but he does have an attitude--and he does seem cold and entitled to me. I don't find him likeable, although he's an interesting character.

Cavendish
    Excellent point.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

Good point. His (this) comment on the first episode of All Stars actually shocked me, I did not remember him being so arrogant during Season 4.

So, the question is, has editing caused us to miss this side of him or did he just speak out of his ass on this occasion (and is actually a really decent guy who misspoke)?

When S4 aired, I never saw him as the best chef. He was among the best, but I always thought Stephanie was at the top. So to come into this season and hear almost all of the cheftestants fawn over him as the best chef in the competition is a little bit mind-boggling.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

FORT Fogey

Cavendish
    I think there is more to this. Richard won a record number of competititons his season (I think Kevin Gillespie may have passed his record). He was on the path to win and he blew it in the finals - which he admitted straight up to the judges.

I don't find Richard arrogant or narcissistic. I find him level-headed and objective.

He is one of my all-time favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;4133079;
    I think there is more to this. Richard won a record number of competititons his season (I think Kevin Gillespie may have passed his record). He was on the path to win and he blew it in the finals - which he admitted straight up to the judges.

I don't find Richard arrogant or narcissistic. I find him level-headed and objective.

He is one of my all-time favorites.
    ITA with you Jexter.

I think for many people the most memorable thing about the season he lost WAS that he choked in the finals after doing so well during the season. He didn't say Stephanie didn't deserve to win or anything demeaning her in any way, just that the most dramatic part of the finale was his doing so badly. Pointing out that you are remembered for falling apart and failing doesn't seem egotistical to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface;4133091;
    ITA with you Jexter.

I think for many people the most memorable thing about the season he lost WAS that he choked in the finals after doing so well during the season. He didn't say Stephanie didn't deserve to win or anything demeaning her in any way, just that the most dramatic part of the finale was his doing so badly. Pointing out that you are remembered for falling apart and failing doesn't seem egotistical to me.
    I agree. That's not even the only season like this: I remember season 5 more for Carla taking all of Casey's overaggressive advice and imploding, and for Stefan coming up short, than I do for Hosea "winning." It seemed like he was the last man standing more than the maker of the best meal.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

I don't think Richard was necessarily referring to his actual loss as to his manner of losing - he straight up choked. Like in this last season, it didn't surprise me so much that Angelo lost as it did that he was so sick, or as was mentioned, in Season 5 the Carla/Casey disaster is probably the biggest thing anyone remembers from that season. Often the final three (or four or five) are so close that it's never a surprise who wins and who loses, the surprises come in the form of their fate.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast