+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Just Desserts - 11/10 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Who is John Galt?

Re: Just Desserts - 11/10 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I enjoy this show to see the competition and the types of desserts the contestants make for each challenge. I enjoy Top Chef, Project Runway, etc. for the same reasons. That being said, many of the competitors in all these types of shows have character flaws. Maybe that just goes with the "artistic temperament" and could be the result of the stress of competition and living arrangements with people you don't know or are not compatible with. Team Diva were very clique and catty in their relationship with each other and those who were outside their clique (very high school). Obviously, when under pressure, people's baser natures come to the surface. I actually am rooting for Morgan to win for several reasons, but mainly because he is obviously the most talented. It doesn't hurt that he is a big, handsome, straight guy (and I am quite shallow in that regard), but his sarcasm and immaturity are annoying and I keep wishing he would tone it down and grow up. He is not setting a good example for his little boy by acting like a kid in a school yard.

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;4105717;
    I'm not "angry" at anybody. I just believe it's wrong to dismiss Morgan's comments as tit-for-tat playground bitchiness. He's a little too proud and confident in his righteousness over those "showtune-singing little girls." I find the subtle aggressiveness of his contempt for gay chefs in general to be a matter of concern. Just my opinion, and I'm not looking for this discussion to overtake the thread.

Add me to the I agree pile. Zach was indeed wrong in what he did, but Morgan's nasty meter has overflowed. I want to like Morgan, then he opens his mouth and makes it impossible. He's had a lot of wins, but he has also relied heavily on Chocolate and was a bit lost when that was taken away as a option. There were only a few people to root for this season who didn't come across as pretty petty, but they are all gone now. :o(
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

FORT Fogey

I agree that Morgan's comments were out of line too. Zac behaved badly too, but he didn't deliberately choose words that are all too often used to demean an entire group of people. The "little girl" comment is too close to so many insults hurled across playgrounds at boys who don't fit a particular definition of masculinity, regardless of their sexual orientation. The crack about singing show tunes fits right in there too.

[QUOTE=MFWalkoff;4105717;]I'm not "angry" at anybody. I just believe it's wrong to dismiss Morgan's comments as tit-for-tat playground bitchiness. He's a little too proud and confident in his righteousness over those "showtune-singing little girls." I find the subtle aggressiveness of his contempt for gay chefs in general to be a matter of concern. Just my opinion, and I'm not looking for this discussion to overtake the thread.[/QUOTE]

I'm in total agreement with you here. Many things I'd like to say/debate but you're right. This thread is about who's the best chef, not who needs lessons in diplomacy, tolerance and kindness.

FORT Fogey

I like Morgan in this interview.

Morgan Wilson of 'Top Chef: Just Desserts': pre-finale Q&A

I believe him. Zac did call himself a little girl, he did sing show tunes, and he did bash Morgan all the time in his interviews. I don't think Morgan called him anything other than what Zac referred to himself as.

I don’t think I called anyone a fairy, but I called Zac a little girl, but he referred to himself as a girl, constantly. It’s only a natural reaction. I’m definitely not homophobic, by any definition — not even remotely close. My issue with anyone is never their sexuality but for example, Zac could be a straight male who is loud and annoying ... always, and it just grates on your nerves when you just want a little peace and quiet. You live in a house that’s one big open area, yeah, the overwhelming urge to force quiet upon someone is tempting. It has nothing to do with who he likes to hang out with.
    I also like this:

It’s funny, because my favorite person hands-down is Eric [who is gay]. He’s one of most beautiful men on the planet. He’s just such a sweet, calm, gentle giant. Talking with him last week, he said: “I don’t get enough credit for being gay. Zac and Yigit stole all my gay.”

I finally watched the finale, and I think all of them behaved reprehensibly at times, with the possible exception of Danielle, who I was rooting for at the end. I don't know if I believe Morgan has a problem with gay people, I think he had a serious problem with Zac and Zac's personality. His comments though were thoughtless and rude. Zac was rude. Yigit was rude. Heather was seriously rude. Accusing one of bad behaviour doesn't make the others less guilty, although definitely Morgan needs to learn to shut his trap and think before he speaks. He's a grown man, be a good example to your son, buddy.

The entire cast was riddled with amped-up egos and drama, and by the end I think I liked Eric and Erica, and eventually Danielle for her pluckiness. Good riddance to all of them, let them fight their little cat-fights elsewhere. Stop mucking up one of my favourite shows!! Reminds me of how I felt at the end of TC2.

I will watch if they run a second season, but mostly for the brief glimpses I get of Hubert. I hope, though, that they tone down the dramatics as another season like this one will turn me off TC:JD for good.
    Congratulations Mickey and Pete!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;4107455;
    I like Morgan in this interview.

Morgan Wilson of 'Top Chef: Just Desserts': pre-finale Q&A

I believe him. Zac did call himself a little girl, he did sing show tunes, and he did bash Morgan all the time in his interviews. I don't think Morgan called him anything other than what Zac referred to himself as.

I also like this:

Actually, regardless of what Morgan thinks he said, in the final episode of the series, he did refer to Zac as "an annoying little fairy." It was very early in the episode, during a confessional/interview sequence. And even if Zac had referred to himself as an annoying little fairy--which I doubt he did--he would have done it in a light-hearted, joking manner. Morgan used the term while expressing his delight that Zac had been eliminated so he no longer had to put up with him anymore.

l was happy Yigit won, simply because of all the desserts produced in the final round, the one I most wanted to try was his strawberry dessert--and I'm usually a chocolate person.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4125714;
    Actually, regardless of what Morgan thinks he said, in the final episode of the series, he did refer to Zac as "an annoying little fairy." It was very early in the episode, during a confessional/interview sequence.
    He said "annoying little girl."

I definitely remember the girl part and not fairy. Morgan hated everybody, he was a nasty person and I believe it had nothing to do with anybody's sexual orientation and everything to do with Morgan just being an extremely rude and unpleasant person.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

He used both "girl" and "fairy" at different points in the episode. Lots of articles bear this out. I don't think that Morgan is specifically a gay-basher or anything, but he is a thoughtless buffoon in my eyes. Which a number of chefs seem to be in order to get their work done, apparently.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;4125870;
    He said "annoying little girl."

I definitely remember the girl part and not fairy. Morgan hated everybody, he was a nasty person and I believe it had nothing to do with anybody's sexual orientation and everything to do with Morgan just being an extremely rude and unpleasant person.

I went back and checked the site's same time discussion for the finale, and more than one person heard the fairy remark. He also said little girl, but he most definitely said fairy too. I don't doubt he may have forgotten he said it--I don't remember everything I've ever said either--but he did say it. And it was inappropriate. I pretty much assumed as soon as I heard that clip that he probably didn't end up winning the final challenge, because I don't think they would have let that clip past edit if he had. The other comments he'd made were, IMO, bad enough, but there was no misinterpreting "annoying little fairy" as not being an insult that directly involved Zac's sexual orientation. If he'd simply said Zac was annoying or he didn't like him or he found him obnoxious or any other way of expressing his irritation, I wouldn't have had a problem with it, because not everyone is going to get along with everyone else, and Zac was fully capable of being annoying. What bothered me was the fact that he used terms generally used to bully or belittle gay men and boys. Or to diminish women (e.g. "little girl" being used in an insulting, demeaning way). That's frankly right down there with making fun of someone based in his/her race, ethnicity, or religion, as far as I'm concerned.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast