+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Just Desserts - 10/6 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: Just Desserts - 10/6 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4079109;
    I think maybe whiny Malka quit because of the supersized serving of crazy this show is dishing out.

But there was something deja vu about it. Didn't cheftestants quit in seasons 1 & 2?
    In Top Chef Season 1, Cynthia left because her sick father had taken a turn for the worse, which is how Andrea returned after being eliminated.

In S2, Mia quit at judges table rather than see Elia eliminated for the holiday catering challenge. This was after having a long fight with Cliff, who kept throwing her under the bus while he had immunity.

In S3, Howie tried to quit during judging, but the judges wouldn't let him, and then eliminated him anyway. (He just wanted to be spared the verdict.)
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;4079120;
    In Top Chef Season 1, Cynthia left because her sick father had taken a turn for the worse, which is how Andrea returned after being eliminated.

In S2, Mia quit at judges table rather than see Elia eliminated for the holiday catering challenge. This was after having a long fight with Cliff, who kept throwing her under the bus while he had immunity.

In S3, Howie tried to quit during judging, but the judges wouldn't let him, and then eliminated him anyway. (He just wanted to be spared the verdict.)
    Thank you!

Didn't Otto quit in season 2, as well? I remember that I liked him because one of his specialties was leftovers. I think he quit because he held himself accountable for his team's loss? Maybe I'm mis-remembering.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

No, you're right!

Wikipedia says "Otto voluntarily withdrew from the show. As Team Korea loaded up their SUV with groceries, Marisa heard Otto say that he thought that the store cashier neglected to ring up a case of lychees. She later revealed this to Colicchio, who made Otto take them back to the store. Otto returned to complete the Elimination Challenge, but announced he was withdrawing from the competition during the "Judges' Table" segment."
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4079117;
    Since many of the cheftestants have remarked on the fact that pastry and desserts require a much greater reliance on exact measurements and that they typically consult recipes frequently to make sure they're getting those measurements right, maybe the nature of the show just doesn't suit making fabulous desserts quite as well. An awful lot of their desserts also seem to be the sort that could fail easily and without warning--look at all the panic about tables shaking during the wedding cake challenge. Perhaps that accounts for some of the extra anxiety we're seeing.
    Personally, I think it's hard to make pretty desserts. You can serve a rustic looking, delicious savory entree. But rustic doesn't usually work for desserts. I can't make fancy, beautiful desserts although I used to try to. Mine never come out looking anything like the photos in the cookbook.

I suspect you have to be a tiny bit OCD to make perfect pastries. The perfect dessert requires perfectionism. You can major in Pastry in cooking school!
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I watch these shows because of the cooking more than any other aspect. I was so glad Seth was eliminated because he and his drama were detracting from the show.

I think the producers are looking for contestants that will bring drama and making some poor choices for the overall show, and I see the same thing with other reality shows, such as project runway.

I don't want to watch grown men and women yelling at each other and having break downs. I want likeable contestants and interesting challenges that push the contestants on their creativity, but not neurotic angry contestants or challenges that make it next to impossible for the contestants to create something amazing.

If the people or the challenges make for less enjoyable watching and results then I'm not going to be as interested in watching.

FORT Fanatic

It looked like Seth had a psychotic break, or something like that. What was it with this "weak sauce" slurrings just because he couldn't make his own ice cream. Good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;4078755;
    Is it me, or has reality TV just cultivated a generation of criers? I don't really cry at the drop of a hat like so many people on reality shows do...

Morgan even cried when he won. I mean, maybe I'm just feeling cold and unfeeling today or something...
    It could also be said reality tv has cultivated a generation of cold, indifferent self-absorbed jerks.

But more than likey these shows have simply attracted the opposite sides of the same coin-people who need to be the center of attention by either being overly emotional or by being cold, indifferent, souless villains. Both extremes are after the same thing "Look at me, look at me..." at the end of the day both of the extremes share the same trait: narcissism.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

I hated to see Malika go home, she was one of the "normal" ones. This show has brought out the crazy indeed.

I believe Seth has some sort of disorder, which was enhanced due to the stress of the competition. This venue is clearly not good for someone with any type of mental or emotional disorder. I'm glad they took him out.

Heather H., what is her deal? She volunterred to make the showpiece, and of course would have taken full credit for it if her dessert had won. I wonder if she and Ivy from Project Runway are related, because they both have that same sourpuss attitude.

It must be difficult to bake w/out your recipes, because unlike regular cooking baking takes exact measurements.

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06;4079110;
    Did I miss a post? What is the mystery of Heather's scar?

She got hit in the head with a camera or light when the were on the double decker bus.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

Quote Originally Posted by babymay;4080165;
    She got hit in the head with a camera or light when the were on the double decker bus.
    Thanks, oh crap, ouch.
    KAREN

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast