+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9/15 Finale Show Discussion **Spoilers**

9/15 Finale Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Please keep discussion in here until 1AM ET, 10PM PT.

Enjoy the show!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Re: 9/15 Finale Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Great the person I am rooting for is sick as a dog. At least Ed and Kevin have earned a spot in the finals so it won't feel like a cheat. And Ed and Kevin arn't being asses about it for a change.

And Ed definately drew the short stick in getting Ilan.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

FORT Newbie

Go Jersey boy Kevin!

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs;4061851;
    And Ed definately drew the short stick in getting Ilan.
    So true! I never felt like Ilan should have won his season or has same level of cooking skills as many of the other winners. If they ever did a challenge of winners I can't see him coming anywhere in the top. I'm really surprised he even made top 5 in his season.

I KNEW Kevin was going to win, it was like he wasn't even on the other guys radar

Bryon...uh, I mean Kevin wins Top Chef!

Seriously, he earned it even with his constant whineing about Angelo and Angelo was the first to congradulate him.

Kudos to Angelo for putting out a great meal when he was sick. And to Hung for being a awesome Sous Chef. Angelo probably couldn't have have put out a meal if he had anyone else helping him. Hung went above and beyond to help set him up.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

I was so jealous of the judges and people in this episode... I want to try all of their stuff!

That modern Singapore Sling Kevin made I think held a lot of weight... often times when the judges just say "omg it tasted so good" rather than talk about it's execution or other traits, it means it's super successful. Look what happened to Ed in the previous episode. They didn't' say anything special about his food, just that they wanted more. NOW.

Now for Top Chef: Just Desserts. BUT NO FORUM!? For shame! I want a forum here for it!

This is the Just Desserts forum as well, the name will be changed shortly. It also serves as the Top Chef Masters forum too, when it's on.

I had to wait to watch the rerun because of the BB finale tonight. I never would have thought Kevin had a chance, but ultimately I'm happy for him. I wasn't rooting for Angelo at all, but it was sad that he was sick for most of the finale. Ed tried, but he made a few mistakes along the way, so Kevin won it fair and square.

An interesting twist of an ending to an offbeat season overall. The CIA & NASA challenges were highlights, as well going to Singapore for the finale. Overall, good season, not the best nor the worst.

Onto Just Desserts!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I'll give Just Desserts a whirl next week. I hope some mad pastry chefs are there, because I think desserts are the easiest to make. Hell, I've navigated through Julia Child's dessert tome and can deal. That's always been my gripe with TC...cooking savory on the fly is tons easier than getting your cake layers to come out evenly (a challenge when you live in a piers house), knowing how to hot-knife through a layer cake (got to have a steady hand!), and firing up the propylene torch on a brulee (and a desire not to set yourself aflame). So what's the deal with the TC folks? I am in no way able to compete on either show, but a pie crust doesn't vex me nor does a bar cake (Ed!). I have never understood the savory vs. sweet divide. It's all about the planning.

But as to Kevin's win...I still think Kelly and Tiffany (and perhaps Angelo and Ed) were better chefs than he is, but I think he got the win fairly and squarely. The judges stuck to the rule of the best meal put in front of them for the challenge, and Kevin brought it. I think the time between the DC final challenge and going to Singapore centered him and he knew what to do (aside from practicing with a wok). He's no slouch at all...just in the company of good competition. That's what I love about this show...no one is a complete disaster by the final half. It's just who can cook the best (for the judges) at that moment. Maybe it's not so dramatic, or infused with game-play, but it's about talent in the moment. There are very few shows that can bring that and be respected by their industry.

Not to take anything away from Kevin's win, when they make a big deal out of "this is the first (fill in the blank) to win the show" I have to wonder if that didn't lend the person a little weight in the judging.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast