+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Top Chef 12/2 Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: Top Chef 12/2 Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

I agree, Krom. I have been a great defender of this show for many seasons on this subject but Jennifers elimination clearly illustrated that past performance does, indeed, enter the picture. Under cooked eggs have sent some packing but Mike V was slated for the finale long ago. They even mentioned that his egg overpowered the rest of the dish and counted that as a failure.

This and PR are still my favorite shows.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3762143;
    I agree, Krom. I have been a great defender of this show for many seasons on this subject but Jennifers elimination clearly illustrated that past performance does, indeed, enter the picture. Under cooked eggs have sent some packing but Mike V was slated for the finale long ago. They even mentioned that his egg overpowered the rest of the dish and counted that as a failure.

I agree with your analysis. Interesting that I think both TC and PR do this. We have to rely on the disclaimer about producer's having a say in who gets eliminated.

Jen may have had the weakest record of the final 4 and over salting her food was the icing on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3762139;
    Like many of the episodes in the last half of the season I saw a disconnect between the actual food served (or at least what we were told about them) and who went home. Of the 3 left standing at the end, Jennifer's dishes seemed to have the least wrong with them. BOTH dishes were praised, even with the salt rationale. Whereas both of the guys each had a dish which was a failure.
    That's exactly what I told hubby. We are convinced they kept evil Mike V. so there would be the brotherly rivalry drama in the finale.

We totally thought that since she had 2 dishes they liked and the others each had one unacceptable dish that she would be safe. Jen does need to work on her self-confidence, but giving them a reason to kick her off does not excuse their decision. As it was happening I was telling hubby that she obviously missed the CYA ("cover your ass") memo (unlike Kevin).

This week Mike V's food was as bad as his behavior, and they should have taken the opportunity to kick him off.

We are also not thrilled that again there are no women represented in the finale, as on the recent, disappointing Next Iron Chef show.
    Last edited by Harvest; 12-04-2009 at 01:36 PM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3762143;

I disagree and agree at the same time. They have to vote on the dish, but I also think they'd do what they had to to ensure that quality makes it to the end, e.g. no Robin's.

I think the show would lose all credibility if they skewed it too far back. The one thing this show has - as did Project Runway, I think - is an element of integrity (unlike all the new shows which are just reality schtick, e.g. Chef's Academy).

Tom even said himself on his blog that this was the first season that the F4 belonged in the F4. In other words, people of lesser quality made it further than those with more skill based on a single dish.

So....In my humble opinion, I do think Jen needed to go - based on the judges comments. Plus, she didn't bring anything special in the way the other 3 did. I think she's awesome, but that's how I feel about it.

Another thing....if they kept people given their track record, Jen may have it over Mike. I'll have to double check their historical scores, but I'm pretty sure they are running neck and neck.

Too bad Jen had that down time in the middle of the season. She could have taken Mike V. down, I think.

FORT Fan

While I'm happy to see a deserving final 3 make it to the end I agree with many of the comments here that Bravo wanted the Brothers V to make it to the end for the drama, I think Jen is just as good as the men (even if she had a slip or two along the way) and that she should had gone to the finals over Michael V.

We can only judge by how the food looks and take into consideration the judges comments, to me it seemed Michael V had one dish that totally failed, the egg dish did not look appetizing and the judges were critical of the texture and I don't remember anyone commenting that it tasted all that great. Also, I was surprised Tom held it against Jen that she didn't grill the duck, if you watch again you will see the shock on Jen's face when Tom comments she seemed 'scattered' you can see she did not agree by the look on her face.

I would had preferred Jen over Michael but as I said I'm glad to see three great chefs in the final b/c when I think back on past seasons such as when Lisa made it to top 3, Hosea winning or Ilan winning, I'm actually okay with this outcome. Come to think of it I might enjoy watching Kevin or Bryan beat Michael who's arrogance I find really grating at times.

I think Jen's comments at the judges table hurt her. If she had said what she said in the confessionals I think it would have gone over better. If she had said, yeah, I wanted to grill them but I think they turned out better this way and would do it again, that would have helped. But probably not saved her.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

Quote Originally Posted by angelwings;3763140;
    While I'm happy to see a deserving final 3 make it to the end I agree with many of the comments here that Bravo wanted the Brothers V to make it to the end for the drama, I think Jen is just as good as the men (even if she had a slip or two along the way) and that she should had gone to the finals over Michael V.

We can only judge by how the food looks and take into consideration the judges comments, to me it seemed Michael V had one dish that totally failed, the egg dish did not look appetizing and the judges were critical of the texture and I don't remember anyone commenting that it tasted all that great. Also, I was surprised Tom held it against Jen that she didn't grill the duck, if you watch again you will see the shock on Jen's face when Tom comments she seemed 'scattered' you can see she did not agree by the look on her face.

I would had preferred Jen over Michael but as I said I'm glad to see three great chefs in the final b/c when I think back on past seasons such as when Lisa made it to top 3, Hosea winning or Ilan winning, I'm actually okay with this outcome. Come to think of it I might enjoy watching Kevin or Bryan beat Michael who's arrogance I find really grating at times.
    Good post. I have to agree on all points.
    Team Channy and Shawny.

Quote Originally Posted by angelwings;3763140;

I was fine with Hosea winning. He performed better at the finale than Stefan. Just like the year before, Stephanie beat Richard Blais who admitted that he choked.

This year the final 3 are all 3 great chefs with very different styles and personalities. It should be fun to watch.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

FORT Fogey

Just the fact that they do not blind test the food leads me to believe they take all of the prior contests into consideration.

I think that they should just all blind test the food, and than eliminate the one that gets the most bad comments. The judges do not need to go to the tables to collect the food, they could just be at a table away from the contestants and have the food brought to them randomly for tasting.

Same thing for Project Runway. Just have the fashions go down the runway with no idea who they belonged to. That way it would be totally fair who went home.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast