+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Top Chef 12/2 Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

Re: Top Chef 12/2 Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs;3761366;
    Mike and Jen. And it is just a theory, I have been thinking it for awhile from their interactions and comments about each other since they teamed up early in the season.
    I had the same theory, although briefly. I just wondered what made her suddenly slide. Something attributed to her lack of focus.
    Team Channy and Shawny.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvvy;3761411;
    I had the same theory, although briefly. I just wondered what made her suddenly slide. Something attributed to her lack of focus.
    Yeah, the pieces kind of fit. And it was so like the slide and demeanor of Leia (I think that was her name) from the other season.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

FORT Newbie

Based on performance the whole season, it makes sense that Jen went home. But time and time again, Tom has blogged that the judges don't judge cumulatively; they evaluate the food served at just that elimination challenge, and decide who to send home.

I think it's crap that the judges, Tom in particular, judged Jen on what went on behind the scenes with her dish, instead of on the dish she served, which they all seemed to like. What should matter is the quality of the end product. They certainly found more to fault in Mike V's egg dish, and they weren't as critical of his process--he was running around the kitchen, in the weeds, like everyone else.

I agree that the main reason that Jen was probably eliminated was to keep Mike V. in the finale, both for the sibling rivalry storyline that they've been developing all season, and because he's more likely to make edgy, controversial food.

FORT Fogey

Random thoughts...

Reg. Jen...If you read Tom's blog on Bravo, he says it was very clear - and unanimously agreed on - that Jen should go home based on the fact that both of her dishes were over salted. If we can believe his blog, then the judging didn't have anything to do with behind the scenes stuff.

Reg. Michael V....I posted above that he is an ass. He is an ass. I don't mind a little competitiveness, but the guy is very immature, smug, and overly confident. Still, I really, really appreciate the risks he takes with his cooking. And, it works more often than it fails. So I do think he belongs in the F3. I don't dislike Michael, I just don't care for him all that much.

Tom says in his blog that this was the first season that the four best contestants made it to the F4. Brotherly competition for ratings or not, ass or no ass, Brian and Michael deserve to be in the F3 - as does Kevin.

Brian - fancy food done well
    Kevin - simple food with exceptional flavors
    Michael - innovative food done well

Jen -???? I think she is more like Brian. Fancy done well. Still, she misses the mark from an execution standpoint more often than Brian. I think the judges were right to send her home. I wish she would have won the car, though!!! I think she is pretty incredible, sweet, charming, etc. but mostly a very, very good chef.

As Tom says, at this stage of the competition - and with such good competitors - it comes down to the littlest of things, e.g. in Jen's case a pinch of salt.

I was bummed to see Jen leave last night. I was hoping Michael would go. I hope Kevin beats the brothers with his simple food.

Quote Originally Posted by thewhisk;3761512;
    Based on performance the whole season, it makes sense that Jen went home. But time and time again, Tom has blogged that the judges don't judge cumulatively; they evaluate the food served at just that elimination challenge, and decide who to send home.

I think it's crap that the judges, Tom in particular, judged Jen on what went on behind the scenes with her dish, instead of on the dish she served, which they all seemed to like. What should matter is the quality of the end product. They certainly found more to fault in Mike V's egg dish, and they weren't as critical of his process--he was running around the kitchen, in the weeds, like everyone else.

I agree that the main reason that Jen was probably eliminated was to keep Mike V. in the finale, both for the sibling rivalry storyline that they've been developing all season, and because he's more likely to make edgy, controversial food.
    It did seem like somewhat of a cop out, considering in his blog he says Jen went home b/c both her dishes were over-salted but he made it seem like what happened behind the scenes is what got her eliminated.
    Team Channy and Shawny.

My favorites from ep 1 were Jen and Kevin. I just had a feeling that both would be in the finale. Then Jen lost confidence and while it looked as if she was getting it back it was enough. I must say that it is a refreshing change to have the best chefs in the finale. Hope Kevin wins it all.

Tom C has said it before in his blogs that while the V brothers may demonstrate superior cooking techniques, they don't always season their food well, where on the other hand Kevin keeps his food simple but always flavorful and seasoned well.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I wasn't surprised Jen went home. She had been going downhill for awhile. I think it was nerves. The remaining three chefs are very good. I personally am rooting for Kevin. But like he said the brothers are very talented.

Quote Originally Posted by thetinydancer;3761396;
    I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who likes Michael V.
    I actually like him. On these shows, usually the only people who really bug me are people who get really far even though they spend much of their time in the bottom and keep sliding by (like Robin).

While I think the competition brings out a nasty side of MV's personality at times, he was incredibly gracious when he split his RW winnings with his entire team... even Robin, whom it was clear he couldn't stand. It leads me to believe he's not such a bad guy but competition and jealousy bring out the big ugly in him.

I think Tom had it in b/c Jen didn't grill the duck. I wanted to smack him on the side of his head.
    I relly believe the to have brother vs brother in the finale. It was between Jen & Mike V. so Jen got elimated.

Okay not watching next Wednesday.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast