+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 10/28 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 10/28 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Starbucks880;3738894;
    I know! I was thinking the same thing. I do have to agree with what Phonegrrl said--I do think the producers screw up the equipment. I doubt that that many things really are failing and I don't think that particular brand is crap--so it must be the producers.
    Yes, I also think they screw up the cooking equipment. The restaurant was Tom's and the stove wasn't working? Duh.............

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3738830;
    I am surprised that none of them, with the exception of Kevin, could come up with a decent vegetarian meal. It is something to anticipate certainly. They have done this before. I make many vegetarian meals and I am also stunned that only one included a protein (lentils). And Robin makes something new after claiming to cook this way a lot?! Something strange seizes their brains in this stage of the competion. No one used eggs, cheese or beans, an obvious choice.
    Robin, I don't think she was, is as good a vegetarian cook as she proclaims. It was BS. If she was so good, she would've cooked one of her accomplished dishes, she didn't.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Tom, on his Bravo blog, really takes Mike V. to task over his outburst at Kevin's win. It's worth a read. Top Chef - Blogs - Tom Colicchio - “If you can mock a leek, you can eat a leek”
–William Shakespeare, Henry V - Bravo TV Official Site

I always find it funny and odd that, at least in my experience and on the show last night, vegetarians always like the dishes that taste and feel the most "meaty." As soon as Kevin choose those mushrooms I said "His dish is going to be the most like meat so it will win."

I agree about the whiny attitudes being annoying, but while he really shouldn't have been complaining about it and needs to get a grip, I do see where Mike V. was coming from. I thought his dish was by far the most creative and interesting, and the judges all seemed to like it a lot. It seemed like the creativity the judges are always asking for, and not "being safe" as they are always saying, wasn't figured in to the judging this time. Don't get me wrong I love Kevin, but his dish was pretty rudimentary and the judges really should reward the things they are asking from the contestants constantly.

Tom even says, after taking Mike to task for his outbursts, that he actually preferred Mike's, but was talked out of it by the other judges, and then goes on at length about how great Mike V.'s dish was and how creative and interesting. He doesn't really address Kevin's dish at all.

If you are going to constantly tell the chefs to be creative, to take chances to the point where if it doesn't work you might be sent home, then you need to reward them for doing so by making that a large consideration in the choice of winning dishes. Otherwise why should a chef take those chances? Why not just do something safe that you know will taste good if that's the only criteria the judges are using to choose the winning dish?

I also think one vegetarian challenge a season is plenty, but I guess if they feel the show is more interesting with "stars" who are trying to prove to the world they do in fact eat once in awhile, they will continue to have them.
    Last edited by Duckyface; 10-29-2009 at 12:19 PM.

FORT Newbie

What a show last night!! I'm so happy, oh so happy!!!

Kevin - victorious TWICE! I love him and hope he takes the whole thing - have since day 1. He is a great chef, he's humble, doens't involve himself in all the dramatics and doesn't act like a spoiled brat like the other half do - you go boy!

Mike I - sooooooo glad he's gone. His cocky attitude is what sealed the deal last night, IMO. I'm glad he had to suck it up and got tossed before Robin and all he could do was whine that she was still there....ahahahaha...revenge is awesome!

Mike V - GET OVER IT! If you could have whipped that meal together in 20 minutes then you should have done it! Sucks for you that you aren't as great as you think you are. Learn to not be such a poor loser you loser!

Bryan - Holy crap!! Did we actually see a smile last night??? WOWSA! I can't believe it! Still think he needs to get over his attitude about losing - must be a family trait - would it be so hard for you to shake the winners hand or at least say congrats???

Robin - I have no idea on earth how she is still there since I think that all but maybe 2 times she's been in the bottom 3. I'm happy she lasted longer Mike I. and I can only hope she outlast Eli - that would be awesome! There's no way she'll make it to the F4 but it would be justice to see her be there longer than the two goofballs.

Jen - She was so strong in the beginning but has totally fallen off the last 3 weeks. She better pick it up soon or I don't think the judges will keep her around much longer. She has talent - but she needs to get over whatever is going on with her.

As far as the faulty equipment - it's possible. But in real life chef's have issues like that all the time and maybe this is the way for them to see how they can work quick on their feet and recover from something like this. It's happened to just about everyone on this show so I don't think it's against only 1 person.

Looking forward to next week....until then - happy eating everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3738830;
    I am surprised that none of them, with the exception of Kevin, could come up with a decent vegetarian meal. It is something to anticipate certainly. They have done this before. I make many vegetarian meals and I am also stunned that only one included a protein (lentils). And Robin makes something new after claiming to cook this way a lot?! Something strange seizes their brains in this stage of the competion. No one used eggs, cheese or beans, an obvious choice.
    They failed to mention that Natalie Portman is Vegan.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babymay;3738959;
    I thought she was a vegan too, so that's why I was surprised to see Kevin melting a whole stick of butter in a pan. Maybe it was just some stock footage from another episode.

Originally Posted by babymay

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;3738984;
    I thought she was a vegan too, so that's why I was surprised to see Kevin melting a whole stick of butter in a pan. Maybe it was just some stock footage from another episode.
    No, they said she was a vegetarian. They can't eat butter? Can they eat fish?

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by graycat11;3738999;
    Originally Posted by babymay

No, they said she was a vegetarian. They can't eat butter? Can they eat fish?
    Nope. Vegetarian excludes any meat, including fish or other seafood. Vegan excludes any animal-derived food, such as milk, eggs, butter, cheese, honey, etc. It's a "stricter" (or purer, depending on your point of view) form of vegetarianism.

FORT Fogey

To be a vegan takes insane willpower, I think. I could never ever EVER give up things like mac n cheese or ice cream. Ever. What would you eat when you were sad??

I'm sick of Micheal V. Brian is fine, boring, but fine. But Micheal's attitude is annoying. He may cook incredibly well - and clearly he does - but I think it takes more than good cooking to be a chef - it takes confidence but also grace and humility. I feel like Kevin and Jen have those traits as well as great skills.

I really hope Jen gets it together again!

I didn't mind Mike I. I feel like he was the younger brother who is entirely inappropriate but in an endearing way, even if you want to strangle him sometimes. Eli, on the other hand, is insufferable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast