+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sept. 2 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: Sept. 2 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

What struck me about this episode was that there were so few truly awful dishes and as a result only 3 cheftestants faced the judges for elimination. I don't remember any other episode in which so few were in the bottom while there were still so many competitors.

I loved the way that Jennifer handled the kitchen and I'v got to give the others credit that once they agreed to her running it THEY ACTUALLY LET HER! The best was when she told two of them to finish their conversation later and they stopped talking! I think it shows that they all know that she's a force to be reckoned with.

I agree re: Jennifer. I still thinks she is a bit of an arrogant beeyotch, but there's no denying she excelled at what she was doing last night.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I think it was Gayle that clarified the point about the clam chowder vs chili on a hot day.

She said it was the cream in the chowder that bothered her more.

Either way, IMHO, soup is for cold or rainy days. Not bright sunny days.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I like Soup on a hot day, not as much as I do on a cold day. But I don't really see a difference between hot soup, hot coffee, hot hamburger. It is a perception thing. I eat Ice Cream in the winter too.

I would add Ashley to contending women. She has had a few Wow dishes, has been pretty solid. Only failed when she did a second dish to try to fulfil the Groom's request to have something sweet. She stepped out of her wheel house to try something new. She probably learned a valuable lesson early on when she wasn't really in danger of elimination. Don't over reach. Which is the lesson that Mike I should have learned this episode.

My main problem with the team ups is the way they were chosen. It appeared that they purposely left the two weakest contestants to pair together. And HOPED they would fail sparing the rest of them. And that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

My top 4 would be the two brothers, Jennifer and Ashley. Expand it to five and I would add Ash. But as we have seen on this show before, once you thin the herd, anyone can go on any night.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I thought the judges were really jerky last night. Even Padma!! I think they have such big egos that it is hard to fit all of their heads in the same room!

I was also really glad that Preeti and Laurine refused to stab each other in the back. The judges were really pressuring them to get ugly and it totally backfired because it was the judges who looked bad - not the contestants.

I just HAVE to mention this (and I'm sorry for beating a dead horse) BUT I wonder if Ashley was also bothered by the challenge this week. Gays aren't (openly) allowed to join the military yet she didn't complain (or BRAVO didn't show it). I've thought about her comments, last week, and although I agreed with her thoughts on gay marriage she just rubbed me the wrong way. I watched the rerun and finally understood why. She said "I can't BELIEVE that they are making us do this challenge when 3 of us aren't allowed to marry" (I may have gotten it a little wrong but it's the "CAN'T BELIEVE" part that bothered me. First of all it was an engagement party NOT a wedding (someone else also mentioned this). I don't think that most people would feel that there is anything morally wrong with this. I don't remember any of the chefs complaining about doing the commitment party (for the gay men) a couple of seasons ago. Maybe they did and it wasn't shown, maybe it didn't bother them or maybe they did, it was shown and I just don't remember. I would bet that someone wasn't thrilled with it. I worked for Hyatt for 10 years and two banquets that were held there still stand out in my mind. One was a swingers party. It was held in an upstairs banquet room and the people showed up wearing long coats but once upstairs, the coats came off! There were people of all shapes and sizes running around in G strings, banana hammocks with every kind of body part exposed! We thought that it was funny but as far as I know the Hyatt never asked or cared if any of the people who worked the party (I didn't but went up for a peek) didn't want to on moral grounds. The workers all seemed just as surprised as the non workers. I even wondered if the company made sure that the employees working it were all over 21! The other banquet was for a (sorry I don't want to be politically incorrect but this is what we were told it was at the time) Gypsy wedding. It was for a boy and girl who were both about 13. It seemed VERY strange to all of us. I don't know if it was a real wedding or what but I still remember the kids standing around dressed just like a bride and groom. This was another time that every employee in the hotel just HAD to go up and take a look. I don't know how many of the workers were honestly upset about it and I'm sure that the hotel didn't care. That's the business! You don't ask every customer what their views on life are! I feel that Ashley, although she felt that she had a message to send, (and she was certainly aware that the cameras were there) wasn't a very good messenger. She came off as a prima donna and not a sympathetic character. If I'm on her side, and it bothered me then I assume that her comments didn't help the cause.
    Last edited by tvaholic; 09-03-2009 at 04:23 PM. Reason: spelling

TVholic - I agree with you 100%. Very well stated.

FORT Regular

I agree that Ashley is probably the best of the women, after Jennifer. I did get a little tired of her whining about having to cater the bachelorette party. Quite honestly, I don't care about her sexual orientation, I care if she can cook. I agree with your sentiments, tvaholic. If you're a professional, you do the job you're paid to do regardless of your sentiments about the function or the participants. (Yeah, sure, you go sneak peaks at the unusual. As long as you get the actual work done, I don't think that's a problem.)

I would love to see Jennifer win this thing, and I think she has the skill to do so. But any chef can have a bad day, and with so many really good chefs, one bad day can definitely send you home. (Remember Tre...)

I live in Houston. It doesn't get any hotter or more humid than our Houston summers, but I will eat soup year round. (We air condition to arctic levels here, so it's nice and cold while you're eating anyway! :-) )I will even eat cream soups year round. Serving a well done clam chowder just doesn't seem like a crime to me. I was proud of them for not being up for elimination, although I still doubt either of them is going to be here much longer. I'd be happy enough to see them redeem themselves a little more, then head home.

This would have been the perfect episode if only the judges had sent Mike I home. I didn't like that he was taking credit for being on a winning team and did not produce the winning meal. In fact he even mentioned his dish was a throwaway. The judges had an opportunity to have the perfect TV moment and they blew it. Mike I rode on Mike V's coattails and everyone knew it. I wonder if Mike I's obvious anger issues intimidated the judges into not voting him off?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast