+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Top Chef Masters 8/12 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: Top Chef Masters 8/12 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I've never seen Anita before, but she sure seems to be an excellent chef. I wish the Food Network would give her a show. She has a much more pleasant personality than a majority of their hosts.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by madlyophelia;3660771;
    All I can say is RIGGED, RIGGED, RIGGED!!

My first post here, but not on the site. After last night's episode, I was fuming. Totally obvious rigging of the judge's vote to put Hubert on top. My jaw dropped when I heard the judge's scores for Chiarello, being about equal with Rick Bayless's and they loved his. Gael gave both of them 4s, but could only give a positive comment about the cooking of the risotto, not the taste.

So what if Rick cooked Mexican. That is what he does and he did show them that he could do something outside of that when they had to reinterpret another chef's signature dish. In fact, didn't he come in second that week, with high praise from the judging panel.

Each chef cooked in his/her own comfort zone. Anita did Asian; Michael did Italian (loved Richard's characterization of his buffet being 1980s Italian wedding); and Hubert essentially did French/continental with a dish from one of his sous chefs (I didn't catch which one did the beet thing...sounds like Elia who was so good in her season). I think the Thai gazpacho probably came from Ilan. Was he on Hubert's team? Can't remember.

3-1/2s from the guests and perfect 5s from the judges for Hubert shows how ridiculous this was.
    I don't agree. The show is "Top Chef Masters" for a reason and not "Top Chef judged by Regular Joe." The critics maybe found the merits in Hubert making with help of his sous chefs 18 dishes (most of them were delicious according to them.) That was also taken in consideration.

It's really hard to find someone who doesn't like Mexican food. It's delicious and easy access after all.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman;3660897;
    thats too bad.. I think Anita is amazing.. and really shuold have out lasted him at the very least. I will miss Anita.
    I agree - I wanted to taste some of the dishes she made earlier on (not last week)!! Michael should be kicked to the curb, and I haven't seen this week's yet!

Quote Originally Posted by dantrb;3660967;
    I don't agree. The show is "Top Chef Masters" for a reason and not "Top Chef judged by Regular Joe.".
    I live and breathe food shows and Top Chef and have subscribed (and store) Bon Appetit mags since the mid-1970s. I knew from the first episode that Hubert Keller would be the man to beat.

Giving Keller straight 5s I can accept because the judges were blown away by, apparently, the quantity of dishes he prepared and I'm sure they were all prepared fabulously. But Gael giving Rick a 4, which is the same score she gave Chiarello, does not compute. I don't recall the Saveur guy's ratings but will rewatch to check.

It's really hard to find someone who doesn't like Mexican food. It's delicious and easy access after all.
    Bayless' Mexican isn't your local Mexican joints' fare. I've been to Frontera and to Topolobampo just last month.

I don't agree. The show is "Top Chef Masters" for a reason and not "Top Chef judged by Regular Joe." The critics maybe found the merits in Hubert making with help of his sous chefs 18 dishes (most of them were delicious according to them.) That was also taken in consideration.

Sorry, but I'm not a big fan of Mexican at all.
    I do, however, really like Rick.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

There you go. It's one of my favorites but I can't eat it every week

Bayless' Mexican isn't your local Mexican joints' fare. I've been to Frontera and to Topolobampo just last month.
    I like Rick too. I'm making a point of visiting one of his restaurants next time I'm around.

I think Anita was probably worn out. When did her restaurant burn down? I wonder if it was in the middle of this, because that would take alot out of anyone.

Also, I think Hubert got a mixed review from the crowd because they were not as familiar with his dishes, while Rick's Mexican dishes were fairly norm buffet/Mexican and more familiar. The critics could tell more about what he did and most importantly, HOW MUCH, his team did. Really, how hard is it to make several different guacamoles and an ice cream?

I'm leaning a little more to giving Michael some slack on the interview process. Someone else mentioned elsewhere that Michael asking the cheftestants his name was to see if any of them were familiar with him, i.e. his palate & coooking, and to see if they could be good little worker bees. I still think the cutting carrots was a bit much, because he should know that these guys know what the heck they're doing (unless they're Casey cutting onions).

And Richard is now & forevermore on my douche-bag list. In fact I'm kinda glad that Lisa beat him in S4 finale.

Oh, I've been meaning to mention...

I wonder if the fact that Hubert's shadow was the background for ALL SIX of the squares during the first round is a spoiler for who wins.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by hutchlover;3661536;
    Oh, I've been meaning to mention...

I wonder if the fact that Hubert's shadow was the background for ALL SIX of the squares during the first round is a spoiler for who wins.
    Good observation!

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3661185;
    [/B]

Exactly the way I feel, norerealityhere. Mexican is among my least favorite cuisines, but I really do like Rick and feel he is quite talented.

I wish Anita and stayed over Michael although I do like Italian and I think he's quite good. I think she's better, but the logistics of the competition got to here. It's just not her venue.

Hubert is my most favorite for both cuisine and personality and has been since the first episode. I think he's terriric and hope he wins.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast