+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Top Chef Finale Discussion Thread **spoilers**

Re: Top Chef Finale Discussion Thread **spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by busilis32;3355935;
    Hosea might have won, but Stefan owned him. Even after winning he had to say that beating Stefan was the icing on the cake. Dude, you won. Let it go!!! He probably will end up being as much of a tool as Ilan seems to be.
    I agree. Hosea was totally driven to "beat" Stefan. I thought he was pathetic.

Wow Read Casey's comments, sounds pretty bad. I do think Casey was wrong to give this info to anyone, she implies she was tricked, but that is pretty poor judgement on her part. I still cannot believe she even suggested Sous vide. I do blame Carla for going along with it. I do believe Carla may have ruined by grilling after sous vide. I do also think Casey might have said, hey if you have never done sous vide probably shouldn't do it first now. I am sure editing did make it look like Casey was more to blame than she was. I am sure she is hurt and upset. But she should have been smarter about how to handle this.

Carla clearly said she wanted to do a cheese tart,not a cheese dish.
    Wow Casey this has been so bad for you. I feel sorry for you in a way.

FORT Fogey

What Casey SHOULD have said is "Yeah, I made some suggestions, and they didn't turn out so good." And what Casey REALLY SHOULD have said is nothing.

If she was watching the show the way the rest of us were, she would know that Carla does indeed cook from the heart - her heart. Not Casey's. Suggesting things outside of Carla's zone merely serves to fluster and derail her. And, assuming Carla didn't have ideas, they would have come to her eventually.

I don't see how Casey didn't see this.

I listened to a interview with Carla today. During her first course, she forgot a sauce and that flustered her and she never recovered from it. The time crunch to do four dishes really got to her as well. She says the meat they used was tougher than she wanted it to be. But does not blame it on the sous vide. Also she says she wasn't trying to do a souffle, more of a custard, but the heat was too high and it curdled.

She as usual was nothing but graceful and complimentary towards Casey. I really wish Casey could return that.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs;3361480;
    I listened to a interview with Carla today. During her first course, she forgot a sauce and that flustered her and she never recovered from it. The time crunch to do four dishes really got to her as well. She says the meat they used was tougher than she wanted it to be. But does not blame it on the sous vide. Also she says she wasn't trying to do a souffle, more of a custard, but the heat was too high and it curdled.

She as usual was nothing but graceful and complimentary towards Casey. I really wish Casey could return that.
    I could understand Casey's resentment towards the show - the editing cast her in the worst possible light and made it look like it was completely her fault Carla lost. Having heard from Carla - even though I'm sure she wants to deflect some of the hate that's been leveled at Casey - I'm fairly certain that the editing made Casey look much more at fault than she was.

However angry she was, though, Casey should have refrained from leveling those angry words at Carla, who has been nothing but nice. Even if Carla was a mess that day, Casey of all people should empathize! She was an absolute mess during her finale after a very strong showing leading up to it. She can yell at the magical elves all she wants, but if she wants to save face at this point, she should say something directly about the nastiness she expressed towards Carla.

FORT Fogey

I think the editing seemed fair (as much as I can judge being a viewer, anyway). Casey DID make suggestions which were shown. Carla accepted them and then flopped on the execution both of which were also shown. I think we got the full story.

The problem is that Carla has tweaked everyone's heart strings and Casey was probably just feeling defensive (a natural reaction).

I was disappointed in Casey, but I really liked her on her season. I can see how she'd get angry; but I just wish she would have handled it differently.

Even with editing, I don't see how Casey's steamrolling suggestion to sous vied the beef can be spun as innocent/not pushy. Sure, Carla should have said No to it then and there, and stuck with her original plan. But we saw the whole exchange, where Casey gets all excited with her great idea, Carla hesitantly saying she's never done it before, and Casey putting her hands up and saying, I got it, don't worry.

It's still Carla's responsibility to be the exec chef and put the stops on a pushy, aggressive sous chef. But when Casey was in the finals, she had no less than Michelle Bernstein as her sous chef, and Michelle knew to keep her mouth shut and do as she was told. It's a pity that Casey conveniently forgot that example. No matter how she tries to spin it, Casey definitely contributed to Carla's poor showing.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Kao

What i find interesting is that the regular judges knew the dishes that weren't "Carla" almost from the very first bite. It wasn't just how they were prepared or that they flopped either, because they were able to pick out key things in the dishes that flopped that had her signature on them (the sauce for the beef, for example). So I think that while it's Carla's fault for not just telling her "thanks but no thanks", Casey had more input on these dishes than what she claims. I'm also willing to bet that if Carla had won, she wouldn't have hesitated to say "Oh, I did this, this and this."

Methinks the anon poster who came to Carla's defense and pointed out all the things that went on in the kitchen that day was right on the money.

FORT Fogey

Fortunately, the way things work on this show, Carla will be remembered and sought after. She didn't win the money, which is a shame, but she got everything else. Hosea won only because the other two made mistakes. Had they all executed their meal flawlessly I do believe they were ready to had Carla the prize. They really appreciated her style of cooking and her energy; she was the entire package.

i saw some other article and casey claims an acquaintance contacted her and didn't represent herself as a reporter and that's where that sidedish article came from.

either way, she came off very bitter and nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by texasgal26;3351059;
    She really should have calmed down before writing that. She probably got bombarded with hate mail and reacted accordingly, thereby painting herself in an even worse light. I find it hard to believe Carla had nothing planned. I agree a cheese course was a bad idea (although I think someone did it season 1), but a cheese tart isn't the same as setting out a block of gouda.

+ Reply to Thread