+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Top Chef Finale Discussion Thread **spoilers**

Re: Top Chef Finale Discussion Thread **spoilers**

oh yes hosea and leah's thing will be brought up I bet they are back with respective mates. I liked Stefan a lot last night. I was surprised Fabio bolstered Hosea's dishes though. Stefan is probably a big teddy bear when he wants to be. Hosea is just sort of bland and boring. I do think Stefan had a much tougher dish (the alligator) and that deserved high marks....Stefan also had the best dish of the evening, the squab, so his dessert pulled him down.
    Carla, Carla my dear hold your head high, you are just too darn nice, learn to take charge! Go hootie hooot

FORT Fogey

One thing is for sure: Casey will never darken TC's doors again!

Did Marcel speak about freezing fish? I don't know; I missed that segment, apparently! (Reading the computer, heh.)

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

He only had an aside about how "HE" would never freeze a fresh fish.. and made a face.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

After mulling it over last night, I think the judges are just as dissappointed. They really seemed to not be too happy with Carla & Stefan.

While Stefan wasn't my favorite, I would've been fine with him winning because he does care about the food and he does have talent. Hosea is just ho-hum. And most of his cooking was on a par with Arianne's - basic & boring.

JEFF should've been in the finale - or Jamie. They would've made a great meal. Probably lots of soup, scallops & sorbets, but at least it would've been THEIRS.

And how great was Stefan going over to comfort Carla? And Fabio admitting that his Euro-bro f*d it up?

At least my Tre won't be the only EC1 winner that didn't win his season.

(bizbachfan - Hosea's g/f did break up with him. Not sure about Leah's b/f.)

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

To me, it seems like a repeat of last year. Like Richard, Stefan arguably won the season, but choked in the end.

Although not a fan in the beginning, Carla was my favorite in the end, and I wanted her to win. Unfortunately, she took herself out of the running by deserting what made us love her. Simple well prepared food, made with love!

Hosea? Well, when it counted, he outperformed the rest. For that, he deserves to be this season's Top Chef.

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItReal;3348868;
    Technically it's all Carla's fault. You don't turn over so much power to anyone when you're cooking the most important meal of your life. Her head wasn't in that meal. The best meals she's cooked on this show was when she took her time and wasn't sweating it. She had a meal in mind, and should have went with it. IMO, CAsey rebuffed too many of Carla's ideas. It's not what she was there to do.Carla, however, gave up the power, and she will suffer with the consequences of doing so.
    Carla should have taken charge, made the dicisions and just let Carla assist.

I think Stefan should have won, throughout this season, he has consistently cooked better dishes than Hosea (from what we've seen on tv).
    Last edited by graycat11; 02-26-2009 at 03:48 PM.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Terena79;3349306;
    The finale sucked. Hosea's a real dbag! His bitterness towards and jealousy of Stefan the whole season was so annoying! Not to mention the cheating on his girlfriend on national television. He just disgusts me. I wish they would have considered performances all season long and not just the one meal. I usually love reunion shows but I don't think I'm going to be able to bear this one. Hosea's gloating will anger me too much.
    I agree! I started to watch the episode but the way Hosea refused to share the foie-gras and hogged the caviar kind of upset me. Just bc it's a competition, it doesnt mean you have to give up all of your integrity.

I stopped watching the episode after that -- I just read the recaps on here instead

Yeah maybe Hosea came out with the "best" dish in the final competition but overall, he was pretty blah -- I dont think he ever "wowed" me like some of the others did. And like someone else already said, I dont think it's fair that he won based on that one challenge when there were others that excelled consistently throughout the entire season.

No disrespect to Hosea fans BUT he is a two-faced dbag whose morals are suspect. I even prefer Stefan's in-your-face frankness to Hosea's veiled digs at and pettiness towards his fellow competitors. Sure, maybe he's a passable chef but I just dont respect him as a human being.

Oh well, I suppose at the end of the day, this IS Top Chef, not Top Straight Shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by ellie09;3349972;
    Oh well, I suppose at the end of the day, this IS Top Chef, not Top Straight Shooter.
    Indeed. The only "nice" chef ever to win was Stephanie. Harold is okay but kind of anti-social. And Ilan and Hung are smug weasels.

Hosea is...none of these things. He's shockingly unremarkable.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Kao

The thing I've always disliked about this show is that Top Chef is chosen based on the last meal alone (instead of looking at the body of work as a whole). So you can be mediocre the entire season and still get the title. In all fairness Hosea knocked it out of the park last night, but we know why he didn't make a dessert (and some of the other people at the table knew too and I'm glad they called him on it). Does he deserve the title of Top Chef? If he cooked almost all his dishes the way he did last night, sure. But he didn't, and I'm angry.

My heart is breaking for both Stefan and Carla. Carla because once again, she underestimated herself and took someone else's suggestions--and it cost her dearly; Stefan because he was blatantly robbed.

It bothers me how inconsistent the judges are about dessert. The first two seasons, the chefs got to cook a five-course meal - it made sense that they had to do a dessert. But when you're told to do a three-course meal, it makes perfect sense not to do a dessert when planning the menu. When the fourth course is thrown at you, fine, maybe do a dessert if you have the option as in TC3, but in this case they did not have the option; they had to do an appetizer. Tom specifically said "you do not have to do a dessert." In TC3 Hung's dessert was described as delicious, yet Tom said "this is the meal of your life, and you're gonna cook us dessert?" Now Hosea is called out for not doing dessert. Hosea bugs me and I would have rather either of the other two have taken this, but this criticism bugged me.

I agree with the problem of what precedes not counting.

+ Reply to Thread