+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Top Chef 1/21 Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

FORT Regular

Re: Top Chef 1/21 Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by thetortfeasor;3286222;
    I'm just glad that Carla has lived to die another day. I wish Leah had gone home.
    Come on Carla, You're sending the "love" out of the kitchen. Forget the love and send me a well cooked meal. That is the stupidest comment any of the chefs have made in ages.

CCL

^ Don't forget her saying that she had a good time in the kitchen and then one of the judges saying that they didn't care if she had a good time & the guests should be the ones having the good time. Carla was all sorts of loopy at the judges' table.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

The judges table apparently lasts for several hours. Methinks they had a bit to drink during that time. Carla is normally a bit loopy, but since she knew her dish sucked, it wouldn't surprise me if she had a bit more than usual.

But in all seriousness, each contestant handles stress differently. Carla at least owns up to her problems when her dishes fall flat. And the thing is Jeff and Jamie paired up, Carla and Radhika paired up for the challenge. Radhika gave Carla no support. After you taste something a 100 times, you need help telling how to fix it. Carla knew it needed help, but Radhika gave her no help.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3287239;
    Project Runway (produced by the same people as TC) definitely had a "no romance between contestants" clause in their contracts. I don't know for sure if Top Chef has the same clause, but if they did, I guess they don't anymore.

That would be tricky to inforce. Okay, Hosea, what base did you attain? Leah, were you just cuddling on the couch or did you feel his manhood as he spooned you? The camera man must high tail it out of there when it heats up so who is there to know or tell? Cliff wrestling Marcel to the floor and holding him a half Nelson was clear.

Stefan is arrogant but amusing. He's not my favorite, but if he wins, at least it will be someone talented. It would bother me less than if someone like Carla - likeable but clearly not a frontrunner - wins.

I think Fabio is very talented - I wish he'd get back up to the top. He seems to get part of a challenge right but mess something up (like the top-notch ravioli with the undercooked lamb). And he's so endearing!

It looks like Jaime, Stefan, and Jeff are the best candidates for the top 3.

By the way, does anyone know Leah's ethnicity? Someone commented how she has claimed both Italian and Asian ancestry. I know two Leah Cohens, and they're both Jewish. Any chance Leah is somehow Italian, Jewish and Asian??

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by texasgal26;3289011;

By the way, does anyone know Leah's ethnicity? Someone commented how she has claimed both Italian and Asian ancestry. I know two Leah Cohens, and they're both Jewish. Any chance Leah is somehow Italian, Jewish and Asian??
    It's definitely possible. Pretty much any and every ethnic/religious combination is out there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by texasgal26;3289011;
    Stefan is arrogant but amusing. He's not my favorite, but if he wins, at least it will be someone talented. It would bother me less than if someone like Carla - likeable but clearly not a frontrunner - wins.

I think Fabio is very talented - I wish he'd get back up to the top. He seems to get part of a challenge right but mess something up (like the top-notch ravioli with the undercooked lamb). And he's so endearing!

It looks like Jaime, Stefan, and Jeff are the best candidates for the top 3.

See, I think Carla IS talented, talented enogh to become a frontrunner, but lacks the confidence to do what is necessary to produce a superior dish. She recognizes the mistakes in her food, often telling the judges what can be done to correct it before they offer up any suggestions. This means she knows her stuff. I've seen frontrnners stand behind clearly flawed dishes and not recognize what can make them better. She has the tools, and that's what frustrates me about her the most. If she was just some kooky chef who made some tasty pastries then I'd be fine with her underachievements and would just wait for the ax to fall on her, but the woman can obviously cook. She has to grow a backbone, and until she learns to follow her imstincts she'll never be a top chef, however she better pull it together right now if she wants a chance at this thing.

Leah said her mother was Phillipino, and I believe she said early in the season that she was also Italian. Just because you're Italian (or Irish or Hispanic, etc) doesn't mean you have to be Catholic (or Protestant, or Buddist).

Jewish is not an ethnicity. It's a religion.

CCL

Regarding Carla - I'd rather have a chef that sends dishes out correctly rather than one that consistently sends out flawed dishes but is able to elucidate the mistakes she made in making the dishes.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3289281;
    Regarding Carla - I'd rather have a chef that sends dishes out correctly rather than one that consistently sends out flawed dishes but is able to elucidate the mistakes she made in making the dishes.
    Oh I totally agree, which has always been one of the things that bug me at judges table when they ask "why didn't you scrap the dish"? Problem with that is they know they have to send out something. If the chef sent out nothing at all they are sure to go home with nothing to be judged. I doubt if most of the chefs who have appeared on this show would send some of the dishes they've sent out on Top Chef under normal circumstances.

My point about Carla is she has the talent, and she should be correcting those dishes, however she needs to gain the confidence to take the necessary action when she needs to.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast