+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Top Chef 12/17 Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Re: Top Chef 12/17 Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3255333;
    I would not be surprised if next judges table they send 2 chefs home.
    That's what it looks like from the previews. It's going to be a long 2 weeks with no new Top Chef, though.

I still can't get over Ariane's ability to keep winning by just cooking meat. She only pulled off the lamb at Gail's shower because everyone else put in the effort to get that team's plates done while she had more time with the lamb because she misjudged how long it would take to cook. And deviled eggs? I bet the judges were pissed at the whole notion of immunity with that entry. That's even worse than the cucumber/salmon (?) thing Hung did in Season 3.

That being said, I continue to be ticked off at the "Top Caterer" aspect of the show and I wasn't pleased with the Queen of Bland, Martha Stewart, being a judge. Her stuff really does nothing for me.

On that same track, I'm also getting bored with the constant parade of purees this season. Ariane and several others have been doing meat-over-vegetable-puree dishes for both QF and elimination challenges too often. Don't any of the judges have strong teeth?
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

i agree, MFW. Puree is getting to be the new foam. Blech.
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;3257458;

That being said, I continue to be ticked off at the "Top Caterer" aspect of the show and I wasn't pleased with the Queen of Bland, Martha Stewart, being a judge. Her stuff really does nothing for me.
    I agree. I watch this show to see precious food and get ideas and you can just do so much feeding 350 people. Their dishes are just short of baked ziti and I cannot blame them.

Martha does not test her recipes or even create all them. I find her intolerably dull. And choosing mashed cauliflower for the win in the QF? I make that dish all the time.

I gather that Gail is going to be out the rest of this season if not for good.

Advice for themes: Just pick the most fabulous dish you can make for the circumstance and THEN try to figure out how it is to fit the theme. Use a sense of humor if you have to stretch it.

MFWalkoff: On that same track, I'm also getting bored with the constant parade of purees this season. Ariane and several others have been doing meat-over-vegetable-puree dishes for both QF and elimination challenges too often. Don't any of the judges have strong teeth?
    Yes. Personally I don't like this texture outside of soup.

Natasha Richardson, who emcee'd this event, died today in NY after a traumatic brain injury during a private skiing lesson in Canada.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by hutchlover;3387122;
    Natasha Richardson, who emcee'd this event, died today in NY after a traumatic brain injury during a private skiing lesson in Canada.
    This news is so devastating! I remembered seeing her in this episode and I have a feeling that it may be one of the last times that we, the public, will ever see her gracing the small screen. I think it is fitting too...the event she emcee'd for on Top Chef was for amFAR. For those who don't recall, amFAR is a foundation devoted to AIDS research. Natasha tirelessly advocated for amFAR, as her father, the late director Tony Richardson passed away in the early 1990's from complications of AIDS. Wish the folks at Bravo would repeat that episode, as it showed her full of life, advocating on behalf of a foundation that she truly loved.

My prayers are with her family. Rest In Peace, Natasha.

FORT Fogey

For a lack of a better place to post this....I have to say that I only have a handful of "favorite movies". Goodness knows why, but I am completely enamored by the Lindsay Lohan version of Parent Trap. Natasha Richardson's character epitomized the type of woman I most admire. She was perfection in the film.

Andy Cohen has a really nice tribute to her in his blog on the Bravo site.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3388849;
    For a lack of a better place to post this....I have to say that I only have a handful of "favorite movies". Goodness knows why, but I am completely enamored by the Lindsay Lohan version of Parent Trap. Natasha Richardson's character epitomized the type of woman I most admire. She was perfection in the film.
    So sorry to thread jack ... but what was her character in The Parent Trap??
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by mom2;3389804;
    So sorry to thread jack ... but what was her character in The Parent Trap??
    She played the Mom of the girls.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345