+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gene - Top Chef: New York

Who is John Galt?

Re: Gene - Top Chef: New York

Actually, I live here in Hawaii and am pretty good at identifying the local races and mixes. My guess is that Gene is a local boy of Filipino descent. He is from Whitmore Village which is in Waipahu on the Island of Oahu. I lived in Waipahu for 7 years and most of the residents are Filipino or Samoan, and a smattering of other races and mixes, and a lot of military personnel. Therefore, he would be a Filipino American. We are proud of Gene . . he almost won the first challenge making an Indian dish that impressed Patma and the judges without really knowing the Indian cuisine. I guess I can't help it, he's my favorite this year.

FORT Fogey

I am impressed with him too. Not only the skill he showed in this challenge but his manner.

Kao

I want him to do well! I think it's great that he's self-taught, and he's not afraid to try new things and be innovative.

Quote Originally Posted by Kao;3243389;
    I want him to do well! I think it's great that he's self-taught, and he's not afraid to try new things and be innovative.
    I agree! I just hope he doesn't get the snobbish elimination- he's self taught so he can't be better than XYZ (XYZ being the one we all expect to be eliminated).
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

FORT Fogey

He's still my favorite. I do think Stefan will take it, but I hope Gene goes to the end.

Who is John Galt?

Correction to my previous post: Whitmore Village is in Wahiawa not Waipahu which is a mix of military off base personnel and locals (mostly Filipino). Gene has his head on straight and not egotistical about his abilities (cough cough - Stefan).

FORT Fogey

I expect to see him in the final 3. He may get there never having won a competion either. Some do. He is skilled and solid. I like the guy.

A world where 115 is healthy, 120 is plus sized and 125 is morbidly obese

Quote Originally Posted by babymay;3244995;
    I agree! I just hope he doesn't get the snobbish elimination- he's self taught so he can't be better than XYZ (XYZ being the one we all expect to be eliminated).
    *cough* Ariane *cough*

I think Eugene's biggest problem is that he can't take criticism at all. I can't say I would be favorable to dining where the cook doesn't care what the customer thinks. And that is what he has exhibited during this competition. He's had some awesome moments on the show, but his attitude leaves a lot to be desired.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

FORT Fan

I liked Gene and wanted him to go further. I'm sad to see him go.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12