+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Top Chef 4/2 Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Re: 4/2 Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

I wish there was a site you could go to to find out what happened to the contestants of all of these reality shows to find out what happened to them after the lights went out. Like who pursued his/her dreams, who became an axe murderer, who married whom, etc. ad nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristoferHawke;2897744;
    I wish there was a site you could go to to find out what happened to the contestants of all of these reality shows to find out what happened to them after the lights went out. Like who pursued his/her dreams, who became an axe murderer, who married whom, etc. ad nauseum.
    Well, Tre has appeared on 'Iron Chef' as a sous chef. I also heard he's followed some NY chefs for training purposes.

Of course Harold's restaurant has done extremely well since it opened, and has gotten excellent reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristoferHawke;2897744;
    There was an article on MSNBC.com posted around the time of the season premiere, sort of a "Where are they now" piece:

Where are the 'Top Chef' trailblazers now? - TODAY: Food & Wine - MSNBC.com
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by ChristoferHawke;2897738;
    Also the movie "Chocolate" with Johnny Depp and the French Actress, Isabelle Hubert (I think) who opens a Chocolate shoppe in a small French village and restores romance to the residents.
    The movie is Chocolat and the actress is Juliet Binoche; she was nominated for an Oscar for it.

Wonderful film. Besides those two, the cast included Alfred Molina, Judi Dench, Leslie Caron, Lena Olin, Carrie Ann Moss, and Hugh O'Connor - among others of note.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

LG.

Like Water For Chocolate was a great movie, and would have been a much better choice than Good Morning, Viet Nam, as I saw that (20 years ago) and don't remember any food in the movie. Just annoying Robin Williams yelling like a maniac. Chocolat too would have been a better theme for a movie.

If they had wanted to do Asian food so badly, they should have gone with Joy Luck Club or some other movie which actually featured Asian food, not just the name of a country in the title. Dumb. There are so many great food movies, it showed lack of vision to pick a movie that didn't really have anything to do with food. I even liked the Christmas Story dish because that meal at the end of the movie was such a memorable scene.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

It does seem like they should have chosen a food-themed film since they are so many (LWFC, Chocolate, Willy Wonka, Simply Irresistable, Woman on Top, Big Night, and No Reservations come to mind), I liked the way some groups interpreted the non-food movies and sort of feel that choosing a food movie is the easy route. I loved that the Il Postino group chose rustic Italian cuisine that even used the colors of the Italian countryside, and as much as Ryan bugs me, I loved the way his team did the Christmas Story dish. They could have just done Chinese food, but instead they combined elements of a traditional Christmas dinner with Chinese cuisine.

I wish more of the groups would have actually chosen films they loved and creatively made dishes that incorporated them.

Quote Originally Posted by texasgal26;2900555;
    It does seem like they should have chosen a food-themed film since they are so many (LWFC, Chocolate, Willy Wonka, Simply Irresistable, Woman on Top, Big Night
    Oh! One of my favorite movies of all time! I would have loved to see one of the teams attempt a timpano, but I doubt they would have had the time to do one right.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Babette's Feast would have been a good one, and for the Asian themed dinner, Eat, Drink, Man Woman comes to mind.

I was going to suggest "Heartburn" but it's the book that has all of the wonderful food in it - except for the Key Lime pie Meryl Streep pushed in Nicholson's face. I cannot believe that buffoon skipped on the "Like Water for Chocolate" option. And what food is in dumb and dumber? Dead parakeet quiche? Im surprised that he didn't suggest "American Pie" for sweet sake.

They could have even used movies instead of laming out with the countrys name in the titles or the movie being filmed there. I was thinking of some memorable food scenes in just regular movies even - Briget Jones with her blue soup and omelette, Annie Hall and the lobsters, Last Tango in OOPS they didn't eat that butter never mind

About thirty years ago, there was a really witty film entitled, "Who's Killing the Great Chef's of Europe?" It starred Jacqueline Bisset, George Segal, with a great performance by Robert Morley as a finicky gourmet/gourmand. It was a comedy/mystery about exactly what the title says. Additionally, each murdered chef was killed in the manner in which he prepared his signature dish (one chef did a pressed peking duck, if you get the picture.) Jackie Bisset's dish was a bombe.

This movie, though admitedly old, could have been an excellent choice.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast