+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 3/26 Discussion Thread **spoilers**

Re: 3/26 Discussion Thread **spoilers**

I admit to not liking the bit of snobbery on both sides. One side saying they were cooking for the judges, the other side for the neighbors. I can see wanting to do things for the kids, since they were mostly there. I think the judges should have taken the neighbors feelings into account when judging.

It just drives me crazy when people think because you are not a chef or in the business, that your palate has no sophistication. I know on our block we had an ex-chef and several women who were very talented amateur chefs. If our get togethers involved homemade pizza, the toppings usually included goat cheese, clams (hey, it was really good), and other fun stuff. Most of the kids liked the same stuff as the adults (not mine, but more for medical reasons).

And I would have kicked the pasta salad cook out for her attitude. She should have been able to make that salad sing. I've had gourmet pasta salad before.

One of my favorite restaurants does an upscale comfort food. The base idea is familiar, then they jazz it up with surprising ingredients.

If it was so close between the two teams as to who won, then I think the block party people should have had a say in it.

That being said, I'm rooting for Dale to make it far for mostly a shallow reason. He's kinda cute. And I love Asian food. I've only watched two shows, though., so I have no idea about his attitude.

You'll have to do your grocery shopping in the neighbors fridge - who just HAPPEN to have 2 spanking new bottles of Mr. Frontera's salsa on hand - hmmmmmm. Did anyone else notice the distinctive yellow and red packaging? That's the only bottled salsa that I use but I did thin thek conincidence was interesting.
    God - Am I the only one who TIVOs these epi's so that I can study them like they were the Zapruder film? Note to self, get life.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedorchid;2877147;
    You'll have to do your grocery shopping in the neighbors fridge - who just HAPPEN to have 2 spanking new bottles of Mr. Frontera's salsa on hand - hmmmmmm. Did anyone else notice the distinctive yellow and red packaging? That's the only bottled salsa that I use but I did thin thek conincidence was interesting.
    God - Am I the only one who TIVOs these epi's so that I can study them like they were the Zapruder film? Note to self, get life.

wickedorchid! Enjoy the FORT!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I want to see this episode so I can see how that one chick messed up a pasta salad. HOW do you mess up a pasta salad? I know my family does a simple pasta salad. But sometimes simple can be steller.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Kao

Quote Originally Posted by Allie;2877045;

That being said, I'm rooting for Dale to make it far for mostly a shallow reason. He's kinda cute. And I love Asian food. I've only watched two shows, though., so I have no idea about his attitude.
    *Joins you in the shame corner* Also, he's a native homeboy. I'm in chicago too, and we KNOW what we have for our Block parties. It kinda upset me that the judges did not take in consideration what the actual people had to say. Hot dog guy should have known better about the corn dogs, but STILL. :/

FORT Fogey

You have company in your obsession. I go over the food aspects constantly. I didn't recognize the salsa because I have never heard of it but I do look for things like that. I buy Blue Mountain Gringo.

I do not believe the neighbors stocked their own kitchens. Lee Ann did not mention this in her blog and ordinarily she would because it would have been her job. She mentioned they had well stocked pantries as if they did it on their own. Not buying it. Lee Ann was clearly told not to divulge that.

Pasta Salad. I hate this food and have never eaten one I thought was worthy of praise. It is nothing more than cold, slippery starch.

Superbrat- Their point was that it was a stupid dish to include and it was no better than store bought. She didn't mess it up. She did a very common dish.
    Last edited by shoepie; 03-29-2008 at 12:07 PM.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;2878586;
    You have company in your obsession. I go over the food aspects constantly. I didn't recognize the salsa because I have never heard of it but I do look for things like that. I buy Blue Mountain Gringo.

I do not believe the neighbors stocked their own kitchens. Lee Ann did not mention this in her blog and ordinarily she would because it would have been her job. She mentioned they had well stocked pantries as if they did it on their own. Not buying it. Lee Ann was clearly told not to divulge that.

Pasta Salad. I hate this food and have never eaten one I thought was worthy of praise. It is nothing more than cold, slippery starch.

Superbrat- Their point was that it was a stupid dish to include and it was no better than store bought. She didn't mess it up. She did a very common dish.
    You don't have to "buy it" if you don't want to. That's your right. However, Lee Anne was very specific in her blog when referring to the lady whose pantry looked like a mini-grocery store or food for a "bomb shelter" to quote Lee Anne . Lee Anne said she had no hand in stocking that lady's pantry. I would assume that statement applied to the entire neighborhood.

Lee Anne did mention that production had to go door-to-door and find out which houses would agree to having some strange chefs come into their homes and raid their refrigerators and pantries. Those houses that agreed to participate probably made sure that their pantries were well-stocked but with what they, the residents, wanted to buy. Lee Anne's only stipulation to the residents was that all of the food available to the chefs be prepackaged and fresh meat or produce. The last thing Top Chef would need would be a case of dysentery or food poisoning.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You are the only person I've heard say that pasta salad is yuck! I am completely with you on that one! I've never even tasted one that is even slightly good.

Major eeeewwwwww..........
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I thought the judges commented on the quality and said, even though she didn't want to do it, she should have done it well.

And I thought the woman's pantry looked like someone who had gone shopping to have a party or take part in a block party. OR it looked like my former neighbor's pantry. I think the chefs would have drooled over her pantry.

I would like to study each ep too, but I don't retain info well and don't have TIVO. As much as I love this show, I can' even remember anyone's name. Whether it's editing or my own stupidity, I often get lost when they start jumping from one person/scene to another.

Did any of the chefs ask the neighbors what they had been planning to take to the party themselves? They could have gotten some good ideas that way. If someone had come to my house I would have given them ONLY what I bought for the party. Sometimes it seemed that they cleaned the pantries out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast