+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 65

Thread: 8/8 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

  1. #41
    Ms Ambusher dberk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,461

    Re: 8/8 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by busilis32;2514481;
    I don't like Howie as much as everybody else here, but I think the rest of the chefs should grow a pair and confront him.
    I don't remember reading about anyone liking Howie here. I think we agree that he has only survived so far, because there were worse cooks to get rid of first and his inability to work as a team wasn't tested early on.

    I think Joey stood up to Howie once, but unfortunately he was in the wrong and Howie shut him down. Oddly they became friends after that. Ugly Sara took the babysitter approach with him and he blew her off.

    CJ should have offered to lead the team. Howie would have been outvoted and he would have had the authority to get them organized and motivated like Brian did for the other team (although a big part of their good mood was the fact that Howie wasn't on their team). HOWEVER, CJ did stand up to Howie when he attacked Pretty Sara. She also stood up to him, but even though he was a jerk about it, Howie was right in his criticism of her. As far as Sara not being allowed input into the menu goes; all I heard her suggest was fries with mayo - not original or yummy.

    I too was amazed that Howie used pork again. It's one of my favorite meats too, but he should show more versatility.

  2. #42
    Here's to NEXT YEAR! cubsfan55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    642

    Re: 8/8 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Ya know...I hadn't even realized how often Howie was preparing pork. That's a very good point! (Sorry, but it's just too obvious to not mention the sweating-like-a-pig phrase...!)

    Remember last year's week-after-week presentation of foam , compliments of Marcel?
    Well this year I'm getting a bit tired of the Ceviche. That, too, has been making weekly appearances and, while I do love the stuff, it's getting old.

  3. #43
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    453

    Re: 8/8 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by cubsfan55;2514693;
    Ya know...I hadn't even realized how often Howie was preparing pork. That's a very good point! (Sorry, but it's just too obvious to not mention the sweating-like-a-pig phrase...!)

    Remember last year's week-after-week presentation of foam , compliments of Marcel?
    Well this year I'm getting a bit tired of the Ceviche. That, too, has been making weekly appearances and, while I do love the stuff, it's getting old.
    Ditto for Brian serving seafood again.

  4. #44
    Snoozin' on the beach
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,918

    Re: 8/8 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by busilis32;2514481;
    Hung is just a big snob and a hypocrite (as most snobs are). He is always talking about cooking for refined, sophisticated palates, but there he was, happier than a pig in slop, cooking for a bunch of drunken people in that trailer. I guess he doesn't mind when he is winning. What a loser!

    He's an idiot as well...cauliflower ice cream? Mr. refinement couldn't even make something simple like chocolate mousse pie This is the 3rd time he's mentioned a trained monkey doing something a certain way and he bombed out unreal each time. He's lucky he's not competing against a monkey, he'd have had his a$$ whipped by the monkey time and time again.

  5. #45
    FORT Fogey miadora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    516

    Re: 8/8 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by cubsfan55;2514693;
    Remember last year's week-after-week presentation of foam , compliments of Marcel?
    I would give Marcel some leadway on his repeated foam use. His foams were not the core of the dish, and were more of a visual and somewhat-flavor-adding.....um garnish; more of a presentation detail. I would probably give a harder time to Ilan for his repeated use of paprika and spanish spices for repetitive flavoring. Marcel's foam may have always looked the same, but not necessarily always had the same flavor. Paprika is paprika. And worse, pork is pork (the core component of Howie's dishes).

  6. #46
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    453

    Re: 8/8 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Shady64;2515534;
    He's an idiot as well...cauliflower ice cream? Mr. refinement couldn't even make something simple like chocolate mousse pie This is the 3rd time he's mentioned a trained monkey doing something a certain way and he bombed out unreal each time. He's lucky he's not competing against a monkey, he'd have had his a$$ whipped by the monkey time and time again.
    While Dale's ice cream/peach cobbler tasted the best, it certainly wasn't very original or innovative. Hung is settling into a pattern: occasionally going for broke in the quickfires, but doing more conservative choices in the elimination challenge. As for the chocolate mousse, pastry/desserts are not something every chef is practiced in as pastry/desserts are an exact science. That's why restaurants hire pastry chefs. Hung did not have the proportions right. His chocolate mousse did not have enough chocolate in it which is why it did not solidify or firm up in the alloted time. Evey chef considering trying out for Top Chef should have a few desserts at his/hers fingertips.
    Last edited by gizmo1; 08-09-2007 at 11:12 PM. Reason: afterthought

  7. #47
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    uh
    Posts
    5,017

    Re: 8/8 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Ugh, Sara N. was my favorite, yet her elimination was inevitable.

  8. #48
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    453

    Re: 8/8 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by miadora;2515699;
    I would give Marcel some leadway on his repeated foam use. His foams were not the core of the dish, and were more of a visual and somewhat-flavor-adding.....um garnish; more of a presentation detail. I would probably give a harder time to Ilan for his repeated use of paprika and spanish spices for repetitive flavoring. Marcel's foam may have always looked the same, but not necessarily always had the same flavor. Paprika is paprika. And worse, pork is pork (the core component of Howie's dishes).
    And seafood is seafood (Brian).

  9. #49
    Here's to NEXT YEAR! cubsfan55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    642

    Re: 8/8 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    All very good points by each of you, but as I read the posts I realize we may have to all take a step back and look more closely at what we are saying!.

    While "foam is foam but each had different flavors," we can say the same for:
    Paprika is paprika...but there is sweet, smoked, hot/spicy, etc.
    Pork is pork...but there is ham, bacon, loin, chops, smoked, pulled, BBQ'd, etc.
    Seafood is seafood...but shrimp, lobster, crab, scallops, mussels, etc., are all very different.
    If someone was doing pastry every week, we can all agree there are tons of wonderful pastries(!!) and they're not all the same.

    Bottom line complaint we all seem to have is we want each chef to REALLY shake it up each week and do something TOTALLY different and unique.

    Then we can all reeeeaalllly laugh as Padma says, "Pack your knives and go."

  10. #50
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    58

    Re: 8/8 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Yeah , cuz me, I would have told him to kick rocks a long time ago, and he would have bowed to my command :

    He is a bully ... and not a team player, so he will be booted off eventually

    Quote Originally Posted by busilis32;2514481;
    I don't like Howie as much as everybody else here, but I think the rest of the chefs should grow a pair and confront him. I just hate how passive agressive everybody seems to be (I know, editing plays a big part, but these shows love confrontations. If someone had called Howie out, I am pretty sure they would have shown it). Why didn't CJ intervened when Howie was being an idiot? Or Casey, for that matter? It is not like she was cooking in the west wing of Versailles. These people were right on top of each other. I just remember how in an earlier episode CJ didn't want to help somebody (I believe it was Sara N herself) because he was working on the same material. Now, that attitude alone, to me, is far worse than all of Howie's ranting. At least he owns up to what he is doing (as he did last night, and he didn't seem too happy about how everything turned out).

    Hung is just a big snob and a hypocrite (as most snobs are). He is always talking about cooking for refined, sophisticated palates, but there he was, happier than a pig in slop, cooking for a bunch of drunken people in that trailer. I guess he doesn't mind when he is winning. What a loser!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.