+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 6/27 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 6/27 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

What makes their "gourmet" food healthy? It's loaded with butter, olive oil and other high calorie/cholesterol/fat ingredients. Look at Paula Dean. She's made a successful career out of comfort foods.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex;2454310;
    I @#$%ing hate food snobs on this show. Nothing upsets me more than when comfort/junk food is brought out and a bunch of chefs turn up their noses at it as if it were rotting garbage. To this day, I'm still mad at Harold for his comments in Season 1 (though in his defense he did well in those challenges).

I mean, I live in the Midwest and grew up on tuna casseroles, mac & cheese, meatloaf and a lot of that stuff. I taught myself how to cook on those dishes and I plan to teach my kids and grandkids to cook them. There is absolutely nothing wrong with those dishes (except I agree that they aren't the healthiest options).

Needless to say the Elimination Challenge frustrated me right away.
    Amen! And Macaroni and Cheese isn't that easy to make properly.

Snoozin' on the beach

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo1;2454251;
    What happened was that when Hung took his chicken out of the oven, he turned the oven off. Sara M. puts her dish in the oven thinking it is on because the oven is still hot. When Sara checks on her dish almost an hour later the oven has cooled off. As Hung stated, Sara should have checked to see if the oven was still on when she put her food in.
    When did they show this sequence of events? Did I miss it? I recall her saying it had to be at 300 when she put it in but they didn't show any of Hung using the oven so who knows how things happened. Did they show who turned the oven on in the first place?
    Last edited by Shady64; 06-28-2007 at 12:02 PM.

I don't mind the food snobbishness. These are chefs used to working with fresh ingredients; it's understandable that they prefer challenges that give them flexibility to use innovative cooking techniques and a wide range of ingredients to a challenge involving food from a snack machine or gas station. I have to admit, I had probably had fewer than a quarter of those dishes when growing up (I think only the chicken/mac n' cheese and lasagna), and I grew up in the deep South - so no, not everyone is raised on these dishes. Also, there is a big difference between the fat in olive oil and the fat in chicken a la king; the dishes displayed included some of the most unhealthy dinners you could possibly eat.

That being said, I was really disappointed in how the chefs handled this challenge. I remember the quickfire from season one when the chefs had to do something similar in a lot less time (when it was down to Leann, Harold, Tiff, and Dave) and they all managed to do pretty well with it. It seems like it would be a lot more difficult to "update" a hot dog and potato chips, or popcorn, than meatloaf or some of the other dishes presented. I loved Howie's interpretation of the dish, and even as someone who doesn't eat pork wanted to try some!

Quote Originally Posted by Realitychick;2454399;
    I was surprised that they all gave distgusted reactions to seeing the comfort food. Yes it's not healthy but come on people. I thought it was rude and pompus. Some acted like they were better then the audience. (Hung)
    I don't think Hung was being a food snob there though. He was just saying that comfort food to him is sticky rice and some other stuff that's not traditionally "American" so he just didn't know much about American comfort food.

I gew up in a different country and I echo his sentiment. When they were going through all the menu, I didn't know half of the stuff. I'm not being a snob, I just have a different cultural background.

Though this also applies to Micah, I do consider her a snob. Big time. Saying things like "you Americans like to put ketchup on stuff." Or frequently saying "ewww." She literally looked down upon those dishes as something below her. I'm so glad she is gone gone gone!!!

Her commentary about her departure was a cheap cryfest too.

I should also say that it was cool to see a judge whose restaurant I'd actually been to and enjoyed. Our bill? 3 people, $1200 (including tip). I will admit that the man treating ordered two $300 bottles of wine, but still. Food was absolutely delicious.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasgal26;2454566;
    I don't mind the food snobbishness. These are chefs used to working with fresh ingredients; it's understandable that they prefer challenges that give them flexibility to use innovative cooking techniques and a wide range of ingredients to a challenge involving food from a snack machine or gas station. I have to admit, I had probably had fewer than a quarter of those dishes when growing up (I think only the chicken/mac n' cheese and lasagna), and I grew up in the deep South - so no, not everyone is raised on these dishes.
    I wholeheartedly agree, texasgal. Most of those dishes that were the "traditional" food were never served in my house growing up. I think there were three Mom would make and I'd eat: Chicken Cordon Bleu, tacos on a rare occasion, and lasagna. She'd occasionally make beef meat loaf, but I'd never eat it the day she made it for dinner but would have it as left overs, cold, on a sandwich (with catsup, of course. )

As much as last season's Fire House episode drove me nuts (Betty & Marcel fighting wasn't all that entertaining), I thought the S2 group did, by and large, a better showing with updating comfort food. True enough they weren't hamstrung by the low cholesterol requirement, but they seemed to be a bit more creative. And, for the most part, the S2 cast was craptacular, so I don't know what went on with the S3 folks in this challenge. Maybe they just all needed a rest.

How many dishes did they have to make? It seems to me $75 wouldn't buy enough lobster (and whatever else Brian used) to feed that many people.

They all did bad in this challenge. I would have chosen Dale as the winner since Howie's deish wasn't that innovative. It looked like Howies made the traditional dish with just a tad twist, not much lower calorie or lower cholesterole. I thought Dale's dish was much more elaborate and difficult to make.

So Casey and Camille are the only ones who haven't been superb or super bad? Casey gets some air time, but what's with Camille? She hasn't added anything to the show.

Did Hung get bad edit or did his true color come out? I'm so looking forward to the next week!!!

Re: Hung's crawfish-on-the-floor. I don't know why he didn't pick it up. During their elimination challenge from last week, he dropped a jar of something on the floor and he actually cleaned it up. Why not pick up the darn crawfish and put it back in the tab (it was still alive, wasn't it?)? Maybe he did and they didn't show it (plausible).

--I'm thinking sure Hung picked it up and they didn't show it. I don't know why he had an issue with it, but I am sure he picked it up. With all the fuss they gave about it, I am sure all the other chefs wouldn't have ignored the crawfish on the floor when it came their turns if he didn't. I think he just got edited bad in general and with the stove incident, I am almost wondering if it was edited to make the incident appear differently than it happened. It just doesn't make sense that someone would lie about it. It isn't as if he was unreasonable to turn off the stove--I mean, who leaves the stove on forever after they are done cooking. He didn't turn it off to sabotage anyone--he just was done. So it showed him lying about doing a very reasonable action, which is weird and I wonder if he really did that.
    --I don't think they were snobs with the exception of Micah. They weren't familiar with the stuff and I am sure they would have preferred a different sort of challenge. I also think a few of them, like Hung, had different cultures and didn't know what this comfort food was all about. I am from Kenya originally and I didn't care for traditional American food when I got here. I have acquired a taste for some of it, but I still prefer not to eat it. It doesn't make me a snob, though.
    --I am surprised that they didn't do a better job, though. I did find this challenge confusing as well. On one hand, they were criticized for taking a literal interpretation, but on the other hand they were criticized for not making it resemble the dish they picked.

+ Reply to Thread