+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Tom Colicchio, Head Judge

Tom Colicchio - Judge

One of the culinary world's most celebrated figures, Tom Colicchio is a judge for Bravo’s "Top Chef," and also serves as mentor to the competing chefs on the series, guiding them through their various challenges. Tom was born in Elizabeth, New Jersey, where he spent his childhood immersed in food and cooking with his mother and grandmother. However, it was his father who suggested that he make a career of it. Tom taught himself to cook with the help of Jacques Pépin's legendary illustrated manuals on French cooking, La Technique and La Méthode. At the age of seventeen, Tom made his kitchen debut in his native town of Elizabeth at Evelyn's Seafood Restaurant.

Tom continued to cook at prominent New York restaurants such as The Quilted Giraffe (where after just four months he was promoted to sous chef), Gotham Bar & Grill, Rakel, and Mondrian. During Tom's tenure as executive chef of Mondrian, Food & Wine magazine selected him as one of the top ten "Best New Chefs" in the United States and The New York Times awarded the restaurant three stars.

In July of 1994, Tom opened Gramercy Tavern with partner Danny Meyer in Manhattan's Gramercy Park neighborhood. In 1996, Ruth Reichl of The New York Times awarded Gramercy Tavern and Tom Colicchio three stars, raving that Tom was "cooking with extraordinary confidence, creating dishes characterized by bold flavors and unusual harmonies." Tom's cooking at Gramercy has earned consistent recognition, and after nominations for James Beard's Best Chef New York Award, he finally won the prestigious award in 2000.

In 2001, one block south of Gramercy Tavern, Tom opened Craft. Soon thereafter, William Grimes of The New York Times awarded Craft with its three stars naming it "a vision of food heaven." Tom continued to be celebrated in publications such as Saveur, House Beautiful, Gourmet, Food & Wine, Esquire, GQ and New York magazine. His first cookbook, Think Like a Chef (Clarkson Potter/Publishers, 2000), won a James Beard KitchenAid Cookbook Award in May 2001. That same year, Gramercy Tavern was awarded for Outstanding Service.

In 2002, Craft was awarded the James Beard Best New Restaurant Award and Gramercy Tavern's sommelier won for Outstanding Wine Service. In October 2002, Tom received Bon Appetit and the Food Network's American Food and Entertaining Award for Chef of the Year.

Tom opened Craftsteak at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in July 2002. Tom is also consulting chef at Voysey's on Kiawah Island, South Carolina. Tom's second cookbook, Craft of Cooking, (Clarkson Potter/Publishers, 2003), will soon be followed by a sandwich book inspired by 'wichcraft.

Tom and his restaurants are involved with a number of charities including Share Our Strength, City Harvest and Kids for Kids. Tom also serves on the Board of Directors of Children of Bellevue, Doctors of the World and Avero Inc., a provider of Web-based software applications for operations of the hospitality industry.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Wow! Whomever wrote this "bio" for Tom sure doesn't know how to write very well.
    Almost every single sentence starts with "Tom".

Tom seems very talented. Tom might be interesting to watch.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I really liked this judge. If he keeps up his cool demeanor, he may become one of my favorite reality show judges, ever!

The way he was smiling at Crazyrice and her rantings was cute. Then you could see where he was thinking, "Ut oh, I think she's lost some marbles", cuz he started to look worried and his smile went away real quick.

This guy is fun to watch, and it's only the first episode!

FORT Regular
    Oh, oh, oh, I kept forgetting his name. With this bio, I wont be forgetting that one.

I love watching Tom on TV as a judge! I'd also love to eat Tom's food.

I'm still really liking Tom.

IMO, the only judges needed are Tom and the guest judge. The others are just "there".

I want to like Tom, but he seems prickish. He always has a sort of sneer on his face that totally puts me off, like he's perpetually disappointed in the contestants. I hope he opens up a little.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Yeah, I can somewhat agree with you corprip..he does have a bit of the prickish air about him.
    Watching him..it looks to me like he's trying to come off a bit "hardass" for the show. Almost like the producers are directing him to be that way, because he's a judge. IMO, when he comes into the kitchen to see how things are going..he looks like he wants to be nice, but he has to force the sneers for the cameras.

His lil "I wish I could get rid of two of you..NO, ALL THREE as a matter of fact" speech.. I really think he said that because everyone (producers, judges, contestants, US) knows Stephen is a pompous blowhard and he wanted to rattle his cage a bit. Stephen had that look of.."Ohhh, surrrre. As IF you're going to get rid of me over Lisa or Candice. Peshaw!"
    So I think Tom wanted to give him a bit of reality check that he CAN be eliminated if only Tom had the option of canning all of'm.

ITA, Maveno. But I'm starting to warm up to him now. I read his blog for one of the episodes, and he talked about how he tried to balance his desire to help, but being a judge he can't give direct assistance. So the best he can do is make suggestions through questions, i.e. "Do we have an ice cream machine in here?" He wanted Harold to figure it out for himself. I respect that.

I've looked up a few of his recipes on Food & Wine too, and there are a few I'd love to try.

FORT Regular
    Does anyone notice that Tom sounds like he is doing a voice-over at the final judging. I've noticed on every show now. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by IsaFan View Post
    Does anyone notice that Tom sounds like he is doing a voice-over at the final judging. I've noticed on every show now. Weird.
    Oh yeah. It's like the worst voice-over EVER. They're not even pretending.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast