+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Tom Colicchio, Head Judge

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar

Tom Colicchio, Head Judge

Tom Colicchio
    Chef/Owner Gramercy Tavern & Craft Restaurants
    Head Judge

One of the culinary world's most celebrated figures, Tom Colicchio returns as lead judge for Bravo's "Top Chef 3 Miami," and also serves as mentor to the competing chefs on the series, guiding them through their various challenges.

Colicchio, born in Elizabeth, New Jersey, spent his childhood immersed in food, cooking with his mother and grandmother. It was his father, however, who suggested that he make a career of it. Colicchio taught himself to cook with the help of Jacques Pépin's legendary illustrated manuals on French cooking, La Technique and La Méthode. At the age of seventeen, he made his kitchen debut in his native town of Elizabeth at Evelyn's Seafood Restaurant.

Colicchio then cooked at prominent New York restaurants such as The Quilted Giraffe, Gotham Bar & Grill, Rakel, and Mondrian. During his tenure as executive chef of Mondrian, Food & Wine Magazine selected him as one of the top ten "Best New Chefs" in the United States and the New York Times awarded the restaurant three stars.

In July of 1994, Colicchio, along with partner Danny Meyer, opened Gramercy Tavern in Manhattan's Gramercy Park neighborhood. In 1996, Ruth Reichl of the New York Times awarded Gramercy Tavern three stars noting that Colicchio was "cooking with extraordinary confidence, creating dishes characterized by bold flavors and unusual harmonies." His cooking at Gramercy earned consistent recognition: After a three nominations for James Beard's Best Chef NY Award, he won it in 2000.

One year later, and one block south of Gramercy Tavern, in March 2001, Colicchio opened Craft. Soon thereafter, in July 2001, William Grimes of the New York Times awarded Craft with three stars naming Craft "a vision of food heaven." Colicchio continues to be celebrated in publications such as Saveur, House Beautiful, Gourmet, Food & Wine Magazine, Esquire, GQ and New York Magazine.

His first cookbook, Think Like a Chef, published by Clarkson-Potter, won a James Beard KitchenAid Cookbook Award in May 2001. This same year, Gramercy Tavern was awarded for Outstanding Service. In 2002, Craft was awarded the James Beard Best New Restaurant Award and Gramercy Tavern's sommelier won for Outstanding Wine Service. In October 2002, Colicchio received Bon Appétit and the Food Network's Award for Chef of the Year in their American Food and Entertaining Awards.

After opening Craft and Craftbar in New York City, Colicchio opened Craftsteak at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in July 2002. In spring 2003, 'wichcraft opened – a sandwich shop rooted in the same food and hospitality philosophies as Craft. 'wichcraft now has six New York City locations, one in Las Vegas and most recently, a location in San Francisco.

Colicchio's second cookbook, "Craft of Cooking," (Clarkson Potter/Publishers), released in October 2003, will soon be followed by a sandwich book inspired by 'wichcraft.

In 2006, Craftsteak New York and Craft Dallas opened and work has begun on Craft Los Angeles – slated to open in Spring 2007.

Colichhio consults at the restaurants at The Core Club (NYC), Liberty National Golf Club (Jersey City) and Voysey's and Tides (Kiawah Island, SC) and Doonbeg (Ireland) all private clubs.

Colicchio and his restaurants give back to the community by supporting charities including Share Our Strength, Children of Bellevue, City Meals-on-Wheels, The College Fund, Pediatric AIDS Foundation and Doctors of the World.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Re: Tom Colicchio, Head Judge - Season 3

Is it my imagination or has Tom packed on some pounds this year? He looks significantly thicker--still a very good-looking man, however.
    B A L A N C E
    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag
    and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis
    "what if a much of a which of a wind gives the truth to summer's lie" --e.e. cummings

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Re: Top Chef Finale Discussion Thread **spoilers**

Was anyone else aware that Chef Tom Colicchio's autographed Ipod, preloaded with eighteen songs, is up for auction at a charity website?

Since I'm unclear about whether or not a link is allowed, I would suggest you search using his name, along with the words tonic and music rising as your keywords.

The auction started today and will run for 10 days.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Re: Tom Colicchio, Head Judge

Heh I bid on it.. i had to draw a line however.. so I will lose out ;(

Its gont a decent play list and i love the blue color! I need to go run out and buy one now lol
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Bidding for Chef's Ipod ends at NOON TODAY

Here's the playlist in case you are interested:

1. Cruel (Calexico)
    2. Carl Perkins’ Cadillac (Drive-By Truckers)
    3. Once Upon a Time in the West (Dire Straits)
    4. Maria's Bed (Bruce Springsteen)
    5. Hard Sun, Main (Eddie Vedder)
    6. Ooh La La (Faces)
    7. Frankie’s Gun! (The Felice Brothers)
    8. Flight Test (The Flaming Lips)
    9. Sequestered in Memphis (The Hold Steady)
    10. The Devil Never Sleeps (Iron and Wine)
    11. Deal (Jerry Garcia)
    12. Crossing Muddy Waters (John Hiatt)
    13. World Without Tears (Lucinda Williams)
    14. Won't Be Home (Old 97's)
    15. Let It Ride (Ryan Adams & the Cardinals)
    16. Windfall (Son Volt)
    17. On the Nickel (Tom Waits)
    18. Jesus, Etc. (Wilco)

Chef's Ipod sold for $157.50

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;3402187;
    Chef's Ipod sold for $157.50
    Wow. That's not much. Maybe the effort needed more PR.

Good to keep him humble, though.

Tom Colicchio and His Wife Welcome a Boy
    By Brian Orloff
    Originally posted Tuesday August 04, 2009 01:00 PM EDT

It's a boy for Tom Colicchio and wife Lori Silverbush!

The couple welcomed son Luka Bodhi Colicchio at 7:55 p.m. on Aug. 1, a Bravo rep tells PEOPLE exclusively. The baby weighed 6 lbs., 9 oz., and was 19 in. long.

"They're doing great!" says the Bravo rep.

Last month, the Top Chef judge confirmed to PEOPLE that his writer/director wife was expecting, but demurred when asked about the baby's name. "We're keeping it under wraps," he said at the time. "Our parents don't know the name yet."

This is the second child for Colicchio, 46, who has a 16-year-old son from a previous relationship – and the couple's first child together.

While the star chef may be taking some time off to enjoy fatherhood, the sixth season of his Emmy nominated show Top Chef – filmed this season in Las Vegas – will premiere on Aug. 19.
    Link

FORT Fogey

Can I just say that I LOVE the Flaming Lips?

TC has decent taste in music.

Add another son to the menu...congratulations to the Colicchios!
    Top Chef's Tom Colicchio Welcomes a Third Son

By Sarah Michaud
    Tuesday March 22, 2011 02:45 PM EDT

There's another cook in the kitchen – Top Chef's Tom Colicchio has welcomed his third son.

Wife Lori Silverbush gave birth to Mateo Lev Colicchio on Tuesday at 12:11 p.m. in New York City, his rep tells PEOPLE.

Weighing in at 7.9 lbs., Mateo joins big brothers Luka Bodhi, 19 months, and Dante, 17, the chef's son from a previous relationship. Mom and baby are both doing well, says the rep.

And there will be no hospital food for the newly-expanded Colicchio clan either! The chef de cuisine at Craft, James Tracey, is sending dinner from the restaurant over to the hospital for the family.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

+ Reply to Thread