+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Tom Colicchio, Head Judge

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    In honor of Dave: Chef Tom and Tiffani can just go somewhere and makeout.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka View Post
    Since Dave said it about himself, why is it insulting for anyone else to acknowledge it?
    I think there's a world of difference between a self-deprecating joke, made to lighten the mood perhaps, about oneself... to sort of make people laugh, break the ice...

And a joke made at the expense of a contestant, by one of the judges. It chipped away at some of the esteem the others might've held Dave in - even if subconsciously. Not to mention, judges should be impartial and not make deprecating comments aloud about contestants during the contest itself!

Tom said it more than once also. At least twice that we know of. So why was he doing that? Similarly he made a negative comment about the chefs using pork just before Lee Anne had a chance to present her pork dish at Napa. What was the point in that, either? What good could come of that careless comment? Even Tom admitted then, (in his blog) that he had a "big mouth".

Finally - the biggest problem with Tom's put down of Dave - twice - was that it implied that Dave was NOT a good chef, but simply someone who was a piggy for junk food. It seemed to say that Dave did not know his art, but, in this ONE area he might do well because he had a taste for crap. (Also, Dave did not actually make junk food - but a gourmet version of 'junk food'. Which does require skill and talent. Simply liking junk food has no bearing on it.) Tom's putdown was appropos of nothing, and could only be harmful to Dave's chances - could not possibly be positive. It showed a distinct lack of respect for Dave as a chef, as well. It made it sound as if Dave's food was unworthy.

The truth was that the clients all liked Dave's food. So did the Napa chefs, but Tom called that an 'accident'. It was no accident - Dave purposely combined the flavors he used. Similarly, if Dave did well making the snacks, it was about more than Dave's supposed personal taste for packaged foods.

If Tom considers Dave beneath the contest or challenges, he should, to paraphrase Tom himself, "keep his big mouth shut".

At least until the last show has aired.
    Last edited by Brandy; 05-20-2006 at 01:31 AM.

FORT Fogey
    But Tom has also talked on numerous occasions about how well Dave focuses on flavors, how flavors are his thing, etc. I think that Tom just calls it like he sees it. Sometimes that's good, sometimes it's bad. I'm thinking that if Tom really thought thatDave was beneath the contest or challenges, he wouldn't have made it to the final 3.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    I still say that he should be more like Tim Gunn. Mentor, but NOT a judge.

I'm not sure Tom has everything to do with who makes it to the next round. I think like with any reality show, it's the producers who actually choose. As to Tom's statements during the show, I think that no matter what else he said about the contestants, he should not make snarky comments about them in front of the other contestants or judges. There's no reason to that's positive. It unfairly hurts their chances.

I don't know of any legit contest where one of the judges openly snarking on a competitor during the competition would be tolerated. When the judges are actually deliberating, that may be another story. I just think if they hire Tom back, he should hold his tongue sometimes

FORT Fogey
    Am I all alone? I love chef Tom. I actually even like the ladies. They are distant enought to keep the show focused on the chefs which is what I like.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
    Am I all alone? I love chef Tom. I actually even like the ladies. They are distant enought to keep the show focused on the chefs which is what I like.

i agree. initially i thought joelbot was sexy then she spoke a few times over the course of a week and I learned she reminded me of my ex who was this pageant slut who had the depth of a styrofoam container filled with helium in the upper stratosphere.

then i realized sometimes less is more after weeks of tiffany. sometimes one needs to take the backseat, unless billy joel is driving of course, yet I digress..

She's more tolerable than I thought after a week and not too bad on the eyes. Gail somehow grew on me as well but thats because she's the antithesis of katiebot. Plus she has a nice rack which would help me overlook joelbots lack of a personality. so billy needs to hand over the debit card.

anyhoo, I agree and I like what tom brings to the table. he speaks his mind and has a personality that comes through. his eyes are dreamy. ok, just kidding but hes good for the show.

FORT Newbie

Tom read Stephen's blog

and then clean his clock. who is he to say you are talentless and not innovative. who is he to say that avant-garde is not part of Tom's lexicon

while the world may not embrace Tom as a chef, Stephen has no place in making the comments that he did

meanwhile if anyone knows Jefferson from the Rotunda, have him read the blog and then visit Stephen in a dark alley

I've picked up on Stephen's disdain for Chef Tom, but I haven't found the quotes you're referencing yet, daviddavid. But one thing getting on my nerves as I read Stephen's blog is his spelling of Chef Tom's name. He spells it "Collichio". What a tool!*

*And a douchebag.

ETA: I just read it. Oh.My.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Yep, somehow I think Stephen hasn't taken the full dose of humility syrup we thought he did, yet. Maybe he's learned to soften up a bit but deep down he still seems very egotistical.

I agree with him about what Chef Tom said as to their drunkenness though. If he did not know that for sure (I'm talking breathalyzers), then he should not have said so. That's getting into slander territory because it was presented as fact. Chef Tom has some ego of his own. Maybe you have to, to be a Head Chef, I dunno. The Frenchman did not seem an egotist though. Just a perfectionist (not the same thing).

If Dave and Stephen were truly drunk then the insurance co. should not have let them work in the Finale but called for Plan B somehow. Other two contestants, whatever. Because fire, knives... I do think if they hadn't been at least tipsy, then Tiffani might've found the wrong end of either, though. She keeps up this way and she might run up against that at some point. (Danger in the kitchen from one of her put-upon staff.) Well maybe allegedly
    Last edited by Brandy; 05-29-2006 at 02:02 AM.

+ Reply to Thread