+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Tom Colicchio, Head Judge

FORT Newbie

pity about Tom

with the show being retooled next year, and Anthony Bourdain being signed on, it will be interesting to see how he and Gail Simmons get on together?

will be great to see him in kitchen grilling the chefs, i would also like to see Rachael Ray on the panel, so Anthony could cut her to the quick and wipe that smirk off her face and giggle out of our collective audible memories.

it's been real Tom, you and katie could move to provincetown together and open an antique shoppe

Chef Tom isn't back next season? Aww. I like him.

FORT Newbie

What about Tom?

Tom has to make some decisions about whether or not he is a voting member of the panel, and how involved he gets during his visits. It would very naive of any us to think that while the contestants are competing, that he and others are not privy to what is being recorded, audio and video, by the crew.

He treads a fine line, which is ok and good in the real world, but in the uneal world of reality television, I belive he has to choose a "personality" path and become more animated.

Nobody, least myself, doubts his credentials in anyway as a Chef. I count myself as fortunate for having had the opportunity to dine in his restaurants.

FORT Fogey
    I get the feeling that both Tom and the producers recognize the problem of his being both advisor and judge. He's made several comments in his blog about the problems of giving advice that wouldn't effect the competition too much. I would not be surprised if that component isn't changed for another season.

Donald - where did you get your speficis on re-tooling? I havne't been able to find any info about it anywhere else, and it really surprises me that Bourdain and Ray would be allowed by Discovery and Scripps Howard to jump over to a NBC Universal produces show while under contract with them.

david: You've dined at his restaurants? Spill

Veruka: I'd almost rather see him as a Tim Gunn type and get someone else in there to be top judge. I like him very much as a judge too but I get the feeling he's itching to get into that kitchen and advise them better (although even then he could not TELL them what to do) and help them along. I can sense his frustration when they make 'stupid' mistakes.

Imagine how that would raise the level of the show so much higher, if those 'stupid' errors were avoided. Then they'd really be cooking with gas (as my grandma used to say). It would be exciting to see how high of a level the contestants could go to.

I don't know who'd judge, hopefully someone not TOO tough, or else, they could go with the American Idol formula of one tough judge, one sentimental judge and one kind of bland judge. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Crease View Post
    with the show being retooled next year, and Anthony Bourdain being signed on, it will be interesting to see how he and Gail Simmons get on together?

will be great to see him in kitchen grilling the chefs, i would also like to see Rachael Ray on the panel, so Anthony could cut her to the quick and wipe that smirk off her face and giggle out of our collective audible memories.

it's been real Tom, you and katie could move to provincetown together and open an antique shoppe
    May I ask: Where are you getting your information on this? Are you saying Anthony Bourdain is being signed on as a regular judge? Wouldn't this show be slumming it for Bourdain?

And here you say you would like to see Rachel Ray on the panel, but in another thread you make it sound as if Ray was been attached already. Are these things you would like and are posing as scenarios, or do you have verifiable information that such changes are taking place?

Don't mean to single you out; I'm just curious as to what your sources are.

If Tom remains, like Brandy I would like to see him in an advisory type of position with someone else coming in as a judge. It's odd to see him straddling both functions on the show right now.
    Last edited by SnowflakeGirl; 05-02-2006 at 08:00 AM.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

FORT Newbie

Lets' Be Serious

I would be curious to know where people in these forums are getting their information, and whether or not it is conjecture, is a less of a concern to me than the show it self.

Top Chef MUST be overhauled:

1, there are reality TV shows and then there are reality TV Competition shows. TOP CHEF falls into the latter, where there is an expected level of skill and professionalism, even before the show starts

2, the show in and of itself is unfair inasmuch as:

a, the experience and skill levels of the contestants were far too varied, for some of them to be on the same playing field

b, the challenges, which might make for good FEAR FACTOR tv, were far too gimmicky: to my mind the most telling challenges so far have been: street food, creating a restaurant, and the Ted Allen dinner

c, the personality (or lack thereof) of the hosts, and the scope of the Judges. Katie Lee Gifford, er Joel and Gail Simmons, did not connect with the audience and it became readily apparent that their demeanor became night and day when sequestered from the contestsants at the judges' table. Tom Colicchio, is a great chef, and as mentioned previously could and should assume a Tim Gunn advisory role and let us see more of his personality.

d, the show is TOP CHEF, not TOP: EXECUTIVE CHEF, SOMMELIER, CATERER, etc.... a decision has to be at the outset as to what the judges are looking for in a winner of this competition and draw lines: Front of House & Kitchen. Putting Stephen aside, its a wonder that Dave is still in the competition. It does not seem to be about his cooking, far more about his facility with people/customers. This all fine and good if the show wer TOP MAITRE'D.

3, the same producers who brought you PROJECT RUNWAY bring you TOP CHEF. in so many areas of the former, they got it right. the contestants on the PR were far more consistent with what they brought with themselves to the table, the challenges were far more realistic, the host and judges were fun to watch because the show had distinct segments, and they had their place to shine. overlay TC over PR, and discounting for the thematic difference, you will see how the formula went awry.

FORT Fogey
    I really disagree on the challenges - especially the contention that the PR challenges were realistic, but the Top Chef ones are not.

Being a great chef does not mean "making great and fancy food with foie gras in every course". Being a great chef means understanding and creating food that caters to a specific customer base (which varies widely by restaurant), as well as managing a kitchen well, and handling pressure and unexpected obstacles well. The challenges they've had have tested real components of being a chef. The monkfish challenge did a great job of testing how a chef can alter a menu to a new customer. The street food challenge tested how well each could prepare SIMPLE food. The microwave challenge tested how well they understood the consistency, texture, and cooking process of different foods. The Ted Allen switcheroo challenge tested how well they could teach recipes to other cooks, and adapt to cooking something they weren't as familiair with. Most every one of the challenges has tested some aspect of being a chef, and have served to separate the great chefs from the one trick ponies. Now in some cases, I'd agree that they have not always beed JUDGED for those aspects. But that's not the fault of the challenge.

Chef Tom is an obnoxious, uptight, nasty person - I'm shocked so many people like him. Atleast on Project Runway, they had a mentor to come in and observe, give feedback. He just a smug jackass.

Why do you think so, Laura111? Would you give examples of his behavior that irked you?

+ Reply to Thread