+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chow.com interview w/Elia--detailing Marcel's cheating.

Chow.com interview w/Elia--detailing Marcel's cheating.

I noticed this on Amuse-Biatch...

http://amuse-biatch.blogspot.com/200...qun.html#links

They transcribed it from Chow.com's interview w/Elia...thought it would be interesting to share with y'all, see what you think about it... The interviewer is Joyce Slaton (and the audio interview can be found online.)

JOYCE Slaton: By the end of the show, you seemed to have a big problem with Marcel, where it seemed like you sort of started off sort of allies. I think you worked together in Vegas. Is that right?

ELIA Aboumrad: I trained him for the opening of Robuchon, yes.

JOYCE: Right. And it seemed at the beginning, you sort of seemed to take his side, and defend his dish, at least it seemed that way, and then by the end you seemed completely frustrated with him and want very little to do with him.

ELIA: The thing is, I always, like, try to speak for the truth. And when his dish was good, his dish was good, I wasnít gonna lie. Also the relationship between him and I was very different. He never spoke down to me, he never had a fight with me because I was his sous-chef, so I thinkóon the opening of RobuchonóI think that gave him a different way of looking at me in the competition, I guess, because he was always trying to be nice and polite, so I had no problems with him most of the competition.

JOYCE: So what hapó? Iím sorry. What happened to sort of sour you on him?

ELIA: Well, because then he started, at the finale, I think, he started feeling more pressure, I donít know, and he just started doing the things he would do to others to me. Marcel cheated throughout the whole competition, different times, and he was never called out cheating. Everybody knew.

JOYCE: How was he cheating?

ELIA: I donít know. He had agar in his bag and he would use it to change the density of the sauces, or one day he had recipes from Joel Robuchon. These were little details that I think were the things that made Betty and Sam and Ilan and everybody be so mad at him.

JOYCE: So why didnít, why didnít anyone bring, certainly there was other allegations of cheating, why didnít anyone bring Marcelís cheating up with the judges?

ELIA: I did, and then I think theyíre gonna show it at the finale. I donít know how theyíre gonna edit it, what am I gonna do? you know. I am not the producer, Iím just one of the contestants. I have no saying in this whatsoever, because itís gonna be edited again.

JOYCE: What happened the night that everyone, that you and Ilan shaved your heads? The way that it looks is that you guys decided, you were drinking, you were silly, you decided you were going to shave his head, Cliff held him down for a few minutes, and it didnít end up happening, and then, afterwards you and Ilan shaved your heads. Is that what happened? ĎCause in the show, in the editing they show youó

ELIA: Thatís exactly what happened. And I didnít drink, I donít drink, I donít get drunk, I was just, like, Well, now that we have this machine, and now you wanted to do this to Marcel, which I wasnít involved in, like they put the blogs. I didnít even know about this joke until it was happening and I go then, Ok, guys, Iím not gonna defend him, but Iím not gonna help you either, you know. So when Marcel went away really upset, Iím, like, Well, we have this machine, Iíve wanted to shave my head my whole life, and I finally have the guts to do it, and Sam was like, well, if you do it, weíll all do it. Iím like, Are you serious? And then we like started joking around, and then it happened and I really enjoyed it, I have to say that we had a lot of fun that night, and Ió

JOYCE: Do you feel bad at all about what happened to Marcel? I mean, it looks, it looks a little, it looks a little sad, I mean itís hard to see, to say what happened there, butó

ELIA: No, I donít feel bad because that was not the way it happened, and, no. [laughs] I mean, I didnít help to do it, but I was not gonna either stop them. I mean, this was a joke they were playing on him, they didnít went through with it. Marcel has been, I mean, he has insulted people in so many ways during the whole competition that hasnít been shown, like his verbal way of talking to people I think itís worse than tackling him to the floor and trying to shave his head. This happened. I think it was a guyís joke, it was in between them. He was being a, I donít know, very arrogant with all of them all the time, and then when he needed help he was like, [baby voice] ĎOh pleaseí

JOYCE: So do you think it was right that Cliff got kicked off?

ELIA: I donít think it was right that Cliff was kicked off. If it was had been for his food, yes, but not for that, not for that because so many other things happened during the show where people should have been kicked out, like for cheating, and they werenít, and then, Oh Cleef is a bad boy, heís being, I donít know, I thought that it wasnít necessary.

JOYCE: So I guess youíre not in touch with Marcel anymore?

ELIA: No. He called me a few times to watch the show together, and I was going to. I have to say that I called him back, and I then I realized that, we have this voting competition on Tv.com, and every week they just kick someone out, so the ones that remain in the competition keep on competing, I mean, itís obvious that he hired a hackeró

JOYCE: He hired a hacker? Are you sayingó? Iím sorry. Itís obvious that he hired a hacker and gives himself more votes, is that what youíre saying?

ELIA: Yes, itís evident. Itís evident, so after I saw that, Iím, like, no, you know what, Marcel? I canít, and heís like why? Iím like, you know why. I donít wanna hang out with you, period. You go and there, and every time you vote for Sam, Ilan or me, he gets more four votes, and then when you vote for him, he gets a hundred votes, with one voteó

[Joyce Slaton laughs]

ELIA:: So itís evident. Itís not even done in a smart way.

--END TRANSCRIPT--

The comments on Amuse-Biatch point out that this directly contradicts what Sam has said about the head shaving incident (his story is the Bravo editor's version) and they're thinking she's insane for thinking that Marcel hired a hacker...

I have no idea what to think. All I know is that in less than 48 hours I don't have to think about any of this ever again...

pg

PS--I'm guessing there'll never be a reunion show...

It sounds like she's got a few screws loose.

The only thing "evident" from this interview is that Elia is delusional. Keep speaking for the truth, Elia. Maybe one day you'll cross its path.

Quote Originally Posted by pg13;2221126;
    The comments on Amuse-Biatch point out that this directly contradicts what Sam has said about the head shaving incident (his story is the Bravo editor's version) and they're thinking she's insane for thinking that Marcel hired a hacker...
    Elia wasn't drinking and wasn't in the room that we saw but Sam was drinking and was in the room. It's not really surprising that their accounting of the incident would be different. How many times have we heard that eye witness accounts often vary? Elia may have combined her impressions with the story that Ilan gave her about it. I don't think she is lying; just telling the truth based on her perceptions and probably heresay.

The cheating and abusive comments from Marcel are all too believable. I don't know anything about hacking, but I'm sure we must have some hackers here that could tell us whether it sounds likely or not.

I think it's important to remember that Elia is only 23 and working with cultural and language barriers that most of us can't relate to. She may be high-strung and/or an overly emotional person, but she isn't crazy and I don't think we should discount what she says on that premise.

Sorry, dberk but I have to say that interview just makes me more angry with Elia. If that's her perception of what went down, fine, but to say that Marcel's insults were worse than being physically manhandled and tackled to the ground and held there? Whatever, Elia. If it had been you on teh receiving end of that "boy's prank" I think your tune would change a bit. And according to her she wasn't even in the room, so how exactly does she know how it went down between Cliff and Marcel.

So, again, the cheating allegations. Here is what she said

JOYCE: How was he cheating?

ELIA: I don’t know. He had agar in his bag and he would use it to change the density of the sauces, or one day he had recipes from Joel Robuchon. These were little details that I think were the things that made Betty and Sam and Ilan and everybody be so mad at him.
    So, that's it? Agar in his bag and recipes from Joel Robuchon, which I am pretty sure he didn't use during the competition. And didn't they say there was an incident in the very beginning where he had some stuff taken away? It just seems like they don't have a lot to go with but they are being stubborn because they don't want to admit they were wrong and childish.

Again, to all of those rolling their eyes at this post, I don't think Marcel is an Angel, I don't think he is innocent of provocation and goading and probably a pretty immature and annoying personality, I don't think he is blameless, I don't think he is a Saint, I don't think the others didn't have the right to dislike him BUT I also don't think this was any justification for the other cheftestants descent into petty, schoolyard bullying tactics.

Whew. Ok, I'm done with Elia. Let's get this finale over with and move on. Survivor and TAR are coming up, and Top Design too...so it's all good! Hopefully the whole lot of them will be a distant memory for me in a week.

In the comments of the Amuse Biatch posting on Elia and this Chow.com interview, one of the posters references SAM'S interview on Chow.com and offers THIS report:

From a poster on the Amuse Biatch blog
    Marcel DID cheat. Listen to Sam's CHOW interview. Sam explained that the cheftestants were NOT ALLOWED to bring any cook books, utensils, notes, etc. This was stated in their contracts.

Sam and Elia claim that Marcel brought in agars and xanthum gums. This is against the rules.

Sam said that the producers were forced to approach Marcel in the middle of the competition and ask him to surrender these items.

It's similar to what happened with Keith Michael and his contraband pattern books on Project Runway.
    Which makes it somewhat odd that, like the Project Runway incident with Keith Michael, this wasn't included as part of the show. Seems like a much more serious concern than Otto and the lychees...and certainly as much of a concern as Betty and the splenda/no, sugar cookies.

Certainly Magical Elves knows what a little good controversy can do for viewer interest? Even to go with a change of "storyline" for a character based on later actions...

But, at the end of the day...this show is beginning to lose all credibility with me and fast.

I can handle a certain lack of credibility--this is, after all "reality tv...that employs a staff of writers. But, watching a marathon of Season 2 shows confessionals with Elia in her wig and Ilan in his bandana and hood four or five shows before the headshaving incident... Obviously, confessionals aren't done at the time that they're edited into the show...but I thought they were done THAT night...or the next day...not many days later, after significant developments have happened...but still talking as if those things hadn't happened yet, displaying attitudes that would only be appropriate if knowledge of later events hadn't happened...

There IS a fine line between editing a show to produce cohesive and compelling storylines...and offering us nothing but complete, unabashed and utter fecal matter.

Trust me, Matter du Fecale a la Bravo is not a dish I'm all that interested in eating for extended periods of time...

pg--it's sometimes easier just to watch a show for what it is...than to learn that what you're watching is not what you're really seeing--seattle

FORT Newbie
    Gonna have to go with the poster who said that Elia sounds like she's got a few screws loose. I think she's losing it big time and for her to say that he hired a hacker??? Marcel may have been all sorts of things to all sorts of people, but believe me, if he cheated, Betty and Elan not to mention Sam who talked Elia into saying Marcel cheated, would have had the national guard down there to kick him out. What a bunch of sore losers and they still don't get that people actually like Marcel and watched what these people did to him. She didn't go watch the show with him, because she was embarrassed at what she did and said behind his back when he was nothing but nice to her and helpful to everyone else. Remember when Cliff had to do the purple challenge and they asked him who helped him with the colors, he said Marcel. Marcel helped more of them then they are willing to admit, bunch of wacko's!

FORT Fogey
    I did notice the confessionals with the wig and hood. It seems logical that they would take a block of time that was not consumed with the challenges to get these diary talks. To me, that is perfectly legit. They were giving thoughs, feelings and summaries of something that had already transpired. It makes sense that they would wait until the end of the contestants stint to gather these thoughts. Sense in the timing and a better quality clip when they had time to reflect.

dberk, I agree.
    Last edited by Dogbat; 01-31-2007 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;2221309;
    So, that's it? Agar in his bag and recipes from Joel Robuchon, which I am pretty sure he didn't use during the competition. And didn't they say there was an incident in the very beginning where he had some stuff taken away? It just seems like they don't have a lot to go with but they are being stubborn because they don't want to admit they were wrong and childish.
    How can you possibly know Marcel did not use the agar and recipes during the competition? I thought the incident where he was asked to turn in any illegal stuff happened in the middle, not the beginning of the competition. If he did cheat, I don't believe they are being childish at all. Although, the cheating should have been brought up much earlier in the competition.

Obviously I don't know for sure that he didn't use them in the competition. Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. I said I was "pretty sure" only because I too believe if he had seriously cheated then they would have made a big stink about it to the producers and we would have seen it in the show. Like Project Runway, drama like that is too good to pass up on these shows.

In Elia's interview Joyce Slayton asks straight out how did he cheat and Elia replies "I don't know" and then mentions the agar and the recipes. Hey, if he did use stuff like that and he wasn't supposed to, then by all means bust him and let us see. I just find it interesting that she replies "I don't know..." but here's a couple of little things. Rather than "Here is how he cheated...1, 2, 3"

All of the interviews I've seen seem really disjointed. All I'm saying is you would think that if they all witnessed something and were all of the same mind (cheating) then they would all have the same things to say both to the producers and judges and to the public after the fact. I am not getting that sense, and to me Elia's interview seems like she is trying really hard to put a good spin on her actions. Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but have Sam and Betty mentioned agar and recipes?

To then accuse him of hiring a hacker, because "it's obvious" - ? How is it obvious Elia? So he has more votes than you but you can't for a minute believe that people might actually like the little guy, so you figure it's obvious he hired a hacker and he didn't even do it in a "smart way" - what? What is a smart way? How the heck...is she a computer expert now?

I just see this as sour grapes and the refusal to admit that you behaved badly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast