+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 104

Thread: FINAL 2 CHEFS - Speculation & ***Spoilers***

  1. #31
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by dondale56;2215720;
    If Marcel had a clue, he would be dangerous. His co-workers are pretty clueless too. If your going to talk the talk, you better be able to walk the walk. He talked, but that's all he did. Sam won more quick fires and Ilan won more elimination challenges. If Marcel was half as good as he thinks he is, he would have been winning more of the challenges and you think with the love of Padma... he should have. I don't have any problem with people who brag, but they better produce when they do it. I never brag unless I can back up what I say. Marcel should learn that lesson muy pronto!

    Donna
    One of the questions that Judge Colicchio has been asked is whether a contestants past performances are considered when picking the winner of a particular challenge. Judge Colicchio said 'no', it's how you do in the current challenge that determines whether you move on to the next challenge or go home. I have questioned that statement several times as over the past two seasons Colicchio has appeared to play favorites. I feel in this case, Marcel hit a homerun and deserved to be the #1 winner. However, because of his maturity and leadership abilities, I felt that Sam should have been the #2 winner over Ilan who I think has mental issues as far as Marcel is concerned.

  2. #32
    Goddess of Looks & Books nliedel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Age
    51
    Posts
    713
    I am bothered that the overall body of work is not considered in the end.
    I sling romance and makeup
    Home BlogMakeup Blog

  3. #33
    FORT Regular midnightsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by nliedel;2215818;
    I am bothered that the overall body of work is not considered in the end.
    That bothers me as well. I can see in the beginning just focusing on how the chef does in the particular challenge, but for the final everything that chef has done up to that point should be considered too. I feel no need to watch the final show next week. Either chef is top chef material.

  4. #34
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    572
    Need to add another vote of agreement. There needs to be some allowance to consider overall accomplishment. The show is Top Chef....meaning the top or best at 'everything' a chef is required. If a chef has a bit of a weakness in just one area of an elimination challenge but has been stellar in every other area...there needs to be consideration given to that.

    I also TOTALLY disagree with Tom's comment that this is a "Cooking" contest, therefore the focus should be on cooking.
    As far as Sam goes - I agree - blending flavors (even though not using Heat)... is INDEED cooking!!
    As far as Marcel - one of the most important qualities of any chef must be an ability to get along well with others and hold the respect of others. Marcel may be a wonderful chef (great at foam) but if no one wants to work in his restaurant......is he truly a Top Chef??

  5. #35
    FORT Fogey miadora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    516
    I guess the Honolulu article was a spoiler of sorts because it focused heavily on Marcel and Ilan and had no quotables from Elia or from Sam.

    And see ya never, Sam...
    I correctly assumed he wasn't making it to the Final 2. But he should be happy with the $10k. And he's proved that passive-aggressive wussiness can pay.

  6. #36
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by baxpup;2215918;
    Need to add another vote of agreement. There needs to be some allowance to consider overall accomplishment. The show is Top Chef....meaning the top or best at 'everything' a chef is required. If a chef has a bit of a weakness in just one area of an elimination challenge but has been stellar in every other area...there needs to be consideration given to that.

    I also TOTALLY disagree with Tom's comment that this is a "Cooking" contest, therefore the focus should be on cooking.
    As far as Sam goes - I agree - blending flavors (even though not using Heat)... is INDEED cooking!!
    As far as Marcel - one of the most important qualities of any chef must be an ability to get along well with others and hold the respect of others. Marcel may be a wonderful chef (great at foam) but if no one wants to work in his restaurant......is he truly a Top Chef??
    In the pre-final videos, Marcel seems to work well with the chefs in his LasVegas place of work. In fact, they seem to be a well-oiled team. I think the problem is Ilan, who was fired from Colicchio's Craft restaurant for what I suspect was the inability to get along with his fellow chefs. In his bio, Ilan states that he will argue a point until he gets his way. From the get-go(show me your knives) I think Marcel has been a point of contention with Ilan because nothing Ilan does or says seems to get under Marcel's skin. This must have really frustrated Ilan.

  7. #37
    FORT Fogey miadora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    516
    Quote Originally Posted by baxpup;2215918;
    Need to add another vote of agreement. There needs to be some allowance to consider overall accomplishment.

    Would you then take into consideration how many times a chef has been in the Bottom 3, as well as how many times his wins? Because I believe, at least by my count, that Sam has been in the Bottom 3 more times than Marcel. How badly someone performs should then be taken into consideration along with how well they perform.
    Last edited by miadora; 01-25-2007 at 01:50 PM.

  8. #38
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,164
    I agree that when it comes to the finals (both the 4 person, and the 2 person rounds) that the full body of work should be considered. I do not think that it should be considered in a very technical, able to illustrate it with numbers way such as "number of wins, number of losses, etc". Rather, I think it should be considered in the area that would be considered "artistic merit" if this were figure skating.

    From reading the blogs, I think that past performance WAS considered by the judges. However, I think they may have used it as a deciding factor where they thought a tie exsisted (between Sam and Ilan) rather than as a factor that was equal to the performance in last night's challenge. So the bone of contention in using it appears to be where in the process past performance came in to play.

  9. #39
    FORT Regular midnightsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by miadora;2215994;
    Would you then take into consideration how many times a chef has been in the Bottom 3, as well as how many times his wins? Because I believe, at least by my count, that Sam has been in the Bottom 3 more times than Marcel. How badly someone performs should then be taken into consideration along with how many times they perform well.
    Does anyone know how many times exactly that Sam and Marcel were in the bottom group? Yes, bad performances should be considered along with good performances. In general, didn't Sam do well in most challenges, especially the quickfire challenges? Marcel never won an elimination challenge on his own (only in a team), and only won 2 quickfire challenges (one was a tie with Sam and the other one did not involve cooking).

  10. #40
    FORT Fogey miadora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    516
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightsky;2216013;
    Marcel never won an elimination challenge on his own (only in a team).
    Can anyone remind me what elimination challenge Sam won on his own? I can't remember.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.