+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 11/8 Show Discussion***Spoilers***

Hangin' with Uncle Leo UGetWhatYouNeed's Avatar
    I think Frank piped in and said he thought of the pizza before Betty had a chance, and then she just let it go.

I thought the entire challenge was to keep the recipe at 500 calories?

Betty was making meringue cookies. So she never used any yolks in the recipe, only the whites. I thought she said she used much less than the original 30 egg whites she used the day before (not just one egg white less?).

I dont think this was cheating, at least not intentionally.

Regardless, this group of chefs are much more back stabbing than Season 1.

They are cranky too!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2134474;
    Yeah, I wondered why she gave Frank the credit. Maybe cause he put the ingredients together??

Anyway, I understand Betty's dilema because here she has a recipe that does not work so what is she supposed to do? In the works of Tim Gunn "Make It Work". Even next week's preview shows Tom Coligio telling the chefs that if they have a recipe that does not work that they need to fix it. Duh!! 180 here. I see her take an egg yolk out. Full of fat and put in 2 tablespoons of sugar, which by the way is a no fat food to save the recipe.

1 egg yolk equals 59 calories, 1 egg white equal between 16 or 17 calories for a total of 75 calories. Betty removed a 59 calorie egg yolk and added 2 tablespoons of sugar. 1 tablespoon of sugar is 45 calories. So Betty's math was OK. The nutritionist say they had 450 calories in their meal subtract 59 and add 90 equals 481.

BTW 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil is 120 calories so all those squeeqee bottle squeezers are alot more quilty then Betty if we are going to pass any blame around.

Actually the cookies were made with egg whites only I believe.

Who the heck knows, this episode has thoroughly confused me!!!

I wonder why Betty didn't get credit for the pizza idea. I specifically remember her shooting down Marcel's suggestion and stating that pizza should be done because kids like pizza, not the crap he was suggesting. I also don't remember anyone saying you couldnt' tweak the dish. She still was in the calorie recommendations, and I wonder why she was singled out. The pizza was the clencher anyway, not her cookies. What about those people squirting in extra olive oil? They definitely were doing more harm, since all who did that would have definitely gone over their calorie limit! I also think it was low for the diabetic guy (can't think of his name) to mention possible cheating. If he were truely as moral as he tried to come off as, he would have elaborated. I would bet they have camera footage of the cheaters and I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't part of it. The guy just was pissed about losing and wanted to screw other people over.

I really don't get why no one was sent home tonight. If they were unsure of what happened and unsure who to disqualify, etc., they could have done many things, from checking footage to interviewing everyone individually to find who used olive oil, in order to find someone to boot. Something is fishy about their decision. Was it because Sam was on the chopping block and his dish was the biggest flop, so they spared him?
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Single Gourmet
    Betty couldn't have taken out egg yolks to justify her adding sugar, because the cookies didn't have egg yolks to begin with.
    "Be kind to those you meet on your way up, because you'll meet the same people on the way back down."-Jackie Gleason/Ralph Kramden

Serial killer killer Winston Smith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by corprip;2134607;
    Something is fishy about their decision. Was it because Sam was on the chopping block and his dish was the biggest flop, so they spared him?
    There's definitely something foul about this decision. I tend to agree with Josie. The judges should've at least reversed their decision on the winning team since Betty cheated.

I also think the contestants who noticed some people were breaking the rules should've brought this up as soon as they noticed it instead of waiting until the end of the competition. It seems like a few of them sat on this information until the last minute so they could play the cheater card as a last resort.
    Last edited by Winston Smith; 11-09-2006 at 04:44 AM.

Serial killer killer Winston Smith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbucks880;2134561;
    I wonder why Betty didn't get credit for the pizza idea.
    Maybe it was Frank's idea, but the moment when he first suggested it was left on the cutting room floor. Or maybe Betty let Frank get away with stealing credit because she broke the rules when she changed her cookie recipe and didn't want to risk her good standing in the competition by rocking the boat.

The pizza was Betty's idea, but it was Frank's recipe (I think). She should have said so, anyway. I agree about Sam's speaking up about the possible cheating. He was trying to save his own hide, as was Mia. This event reminds me of Lycheegate. SPEAK up chefs when you see something amiss at the time you see it.

Earlier, someone here mentioned Michael used his own money for the QF. I didn't see that at all. He only used about $2.00! Throughout the episode, he's clearly not the judges' favorite.

Betty didn't mean to cheat. Happy campers have too much fun in life to bother with cheating. There was just too much on her mind. Although (playing devil's advocate), she did have a look of dread when Tom broached the subject to the entire group. Egads, I'm so confused!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by psycobabe007;2134520;
    Actually the cookies were made with egg whites only I believe.

Who the heck knows, this episode has thoroughly confused me!!!
    Betty's own words "I took out a yolk".
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Maybe that was her problem, using a yolk. For crispy cookies like those, you just use the whites.

+ Reply to Thread