+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10/18 Premiere Show Discussion Thread***Spoilers***

Whoo hoo! I really like this show. It's nice to see reality shows where people are using their creativity.
    "The light of faith makes us see what we believe" Thomas Aquinas

Last season was excellent. Looks like we're in for another glorious season. Harold does look a little well fed-LOL, but I loved him so was glad to see him back. There are some characters here this season...hopefully no Miguels-Lol

FORT Newbie
    i am really freaked out that most of these chefs already have restuarents or major careers i mean last year contestants had a broad spectrum this year every one seems to have to own there own place and have no reason to be here

ps in a hurry sorry for spelling and grammer

I just love Ilan and Marcel!!!! Not for their cooking or anything, but y'know... In the words of the great Dave Martin, it is what it is.

I saw comments on some of the other threads that Padma isn't that great either. I'm just curious, what do people expect from their hostesses? She is such an incidental part of the show anyways, I'm just thrilled she has a pulse and can emote some sort of personality.

Tom is still a big jerk, but he's a lovable jerk. Gail is just fabulous.

I'm totally psyched for this season... especially to watch Ilan.. and Marcel. They are so cute and their rivalry makes them even more adorable.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

I like how Tom comes out immediately and states I am not your mentor I am here as the Head Judge. Even so people treat his visits as if he is a mentor and are not helping themselves. Still it is nice to know he will never be a Tim Gunn.

This looks like a great cast, even more explosive then season 1. Casting directors and producers from shows like Survivor and Amazing Race need to take a close look at how this show is cast. They are not all pretty people but boy are they interesting and have tons and tons of personality and there will be conflict. Since both PR and TC are shows based on skill they are more real cause they are not just pretty faces and buff bodies that we see on Survivor, Amazing Race and Big Brother. This is a perfect example that you don't have to be a size 0 and silicone breasted and wrinkle free to be entertaining and on TV.

Also Project Runway interspersed some of Jeffrey's witty comments about Laura and Michael during the broadcast and it strengthens my opinion that Jeffrey is a very vile and hatefull human being. Poor Harrison, I hope he takes after his mom or grandmother.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Well, I caught this AFTER the season finale of Project Runway...so, I guess I was ready for anything. As always, the first shows of ANY season of an elimination reality contest are always a jumble of people we don't know yet and storylines that haven't developed...

That's why I liked the way that Top Chef's FIRST season started--first, everyone gets to see how qualified everyone is to be in the kitchen (establishing awareness of technical skills) and then everyone gets to make their signature dish for their other competitors to taste and judge (establishing awareness of their creative skills and palette.)

This year--they start with a "cook with flambe" challenge and a cook with bizarre ingredients challenge. It's still Top Chef--but it wasn't the best choice for a first episode...

I also thought it was interesting how they've taken great pains to Un-Tim Gunn our good friend and head judge, Tom... "I'm not your mentor or your friend"--well, maybe...like Project Runway...these Chefs NEED mentors and friends (as you'd hope that chefs in real restaurants are with the restaurant owner/managers)????

I loved that they brought Harold back as a judge--hell, let him be a judge every week as far as I'm concerned. I do wish that they'd have told me more about what he's up to now...and if Top Chef has helped his career.

One last thought... I hate to type this...but when I saw Harold single out whose Quickfire dishes he liked, I had this sense that he'd select Sam...the guy who most resembled Harold. And sure enough, when it came time to pick the best dish at the Judges Table in the elimination challenge...three women were there, but the one guy won that round. And, just as surely, when it came time to eliminate someone...three guys were there...but the one girl is the one sent home. I'm not saying that there's anything fishy going on...but I noticed it while watching the show live...and I anticipated it happening...and then it did--which was a little weird.

This brings me to my final problem with Top Chef, compared to Project Runway. When we see Project Runway, we can see with our own eyes what someone has created--and we can judge, using our own tastes as a determiner, what we like or don't like...and our opinions can be compared with the judges' opinions weighing equally. In Top Chef, we can't taste the food...can't smell the food...can't feel the temperature/texture of the food... All we have is our image of the food in our eyes and the words of these judges in our ears--we can't say "Oh, HE should win" or "No, SHE should win" with any confidence, because we don't know.

Tonight, some of Marcel's competitors thought his dish was too garlicky (although, quite pointedly, not all of his competitors, mind you...) Was it? We'll never truly know... It makes the decisions on this show less emotionally satisfying than those from other shows (like Project Runway)--as we have to totally rely on the judges' opinions...and the judges might not share a similar palette or personal taste range.

In a few weeks, this won't be as much of a problem...because with fewer participants and stronger storylines, we'll be wrapped up in who's called who what and who thinks so and so is a such and such...and the food will hardly matter.

pg--and yet, I'll watch the hell out of this show, won't I?--seattle

FORT Regular

Remembering how much I liked this show...

and how much Project Runway just didn't do it for me...

so glad to see this back, and it looks like a winner to me. Just love Chef Tom, although honey, the twenty-something neckwear has got to go. Those of us more seasoned types (so to speak) just can't pull that off...

And I just love Harold...he seems much more articulate when he's not a contestant. They could keep him on for the season as far as I'm concerned.

But I have to say...maybe she's just nervous and will find her groove, but this host isn't much of an improvement over the last one. Do they have to have one? After all, if you have two regular judges and a guest judge...??

Here's a thought--how about LeeAnne as host? Thought she was great, terrific sense of humor. Will never forget "I'm on the team with the Big Thinker and the No Thinker..."

So glad this is back!!

Quote Originally Posted by pg13;2108537;
    I loved that they brought Harold back as a judge--hell, let him be a judge every week as far as I'm concerned. I do wish that they'd have told me more about what he's up to now...and if Top Chef has helped his career.
    I can tell you that Harold is in the process of opening his new restaurant. Here is the site for his new restaurant, Perilla, opening this Winter.

pg 13 - I noticed the women being singled out and thought it a little odd, I'm really hoping that it was just the food this week.

Did anyone else see how p***ed off Mia looked when she didn't win? I thought she was really irritated.

Quote Originally Posted by Gala62;2108876;
    pg 13 - I noticed the women being singled out and thought it a little odd, I'm really hoping that it was just the food this week.

Did anyone else see how p***ed off Mia looked when she didn't win? I thought she was really irritated.
    Well, I thought by all the chefs and judges comments that Mia was going to win and then they pulled the Ilan out of a hat.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast