+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Padma Lakshmi - Host, Season 2

Padma Lakshmi - Host, Season 2

Padma Lakshmi serves as host of Bravo's "Top Chef," introducing the challenges to the contestants each week and sitting at the judge's table alongside Tom Colicchio and Gail Simmons. Lakshmi is known internationally as an actress and award-winning writer. 2006 will be a busy year for Lakshmi with two mini-series, a feature film and a new cookbook being released.

Airing in April, Lakshmi will play Princess Bithia, the Egyptian princess who found the baby Moses in the bulrushes and raised him as her own in ABC's much anticipated mini-series "The Ten Commandments" alongside Naveen Andrews ("Lost"), Omar Sharif and Dougray Scott.

She will also star in BBC America's "Sharpe's Challenge" opposite Sean Bean. This two-part mini-series directed by Tom Clegg is the continuation of the popular BBC series based on Richard Cornwall's novels and will air in October. In it, Lakshmi will play the beautiful Indian courtesan Madhuvanthi who becomes a ruler defending her Rajastani province from Sharpe and the Colonialists. On the big screen, she joins Aishwarya Rai and Dylan McDermott in Paul Mayeda Berges' newest film "Mistress of Spices."

Lakshmi demonstrates her own talent with spices as she publishes her second cookbook. A follow up to her successful book Easy Exotic, it will be a larger endeavor filled with over 150 recipes from around the world and intriguing personal memoirs. The cookbook will be published by Miramax Books in Spring '07.

Lakshmi's previous acting experience has included two Italian films: "Caribbeans" directed by Lamberto Bava and "Sandokan: The Darkness and the Light" directed by Sergio Sollima. In 2001 she played Mariah Carey's diva rival, Sylk, in Fox/Columbia Pictures "Glitter," directed by Vondie Curtis-Hall. She also starred in Kaizad Gustad's "Boom" in 2003.

Her television credits include hosting Rai Television's "Dominica In," a live variety show which became Italy's highest rated program. For The Food Network, she hosted "Padma's Passport" where she cooked diverse low-fat cuisine based on her best selling book Easy Exotic. Lakshmi has also hosted a documentary series called "Planet Food" (broadcast on The Food Network and worldwide Discovery Channel), in which she journeyed to countries such as Spain and India. Padma has also appeared on UPN's "Star Trek: Enterprise."

Lakshmi is also an accomplished writer and the author of Easy Exotic for Miramax Books for which she won the International Versailles Event for best cookbook by a first time writer. The book is a low calorie, low fat ethnic cookbook and is currently in its second printing in soft back. She has contributed to such magazines as American Vogue, Gourmet and Harper's Bazaar.

Originally known as the first internationally successful Indian supermodel, Lakshmi started modeling while an exchange student in Spain with Clark University where she received a B.A. in Theater Arts. She was discovered by a modeling agent while sitting in a café and since has appeared in numerous fashion editorials and walked the runway for the likes of Ralph Lauren, Emmanuel Ungaro and Alberta Ferretti and starred in campaigns for Versus and Roberto Cavalli.

IN JAIL, WONDERING WHERE MY KLONDIKE BAR IS!?...
    Hope she is more interesting than Mrs. Joel was... she's gotta be, right?
    "YOU BREATH THE SAME AIR THE BILLIONAIRES DO" Russell Simmons

"We make a living from what we get, but we make a life from what we give." Winston Chruchill

Quote Originally Posted by mischief4911 View Post
    Hope she is more interesting than Mrs. Joel was... she's gotta be, right?
    One would think. The sad thing about Mrs. Joel is she is a very intelligent and thoughtful girl, but that didn't translate into good TV. At least Padma (Mrs. Rushdie) has television experience, although her show on the Food Network completely tanked.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Can't say I ever heard of her, but I personally like Katie...let's see how this one does.

nope don't care for this host either.

I normally love Padma, but on this show she is just okay. Maybe I shouldn't judge by just the first episode. She is much better onscreen than Katie, though. I am disappointed that her knowledge is not utilized more. She may not be an executive chef, but she is not ignorant about food either. I watched the first episode and it seems that she is just there to look pretty and say lines, but not really contribute anything. That's probably Bravo's fault, but I think she should be used more than that.

FORT Fogey
    she seems bored to be there

Yeah I was hoping for a bit more from her too, but she's still an improvement.

Single Gourmet
    I like her. She at least brings a little excitement to the job of hosting. It's sad that Katie was so unenthusiastic; I'd host it!

FORT Fanatic
    Padma, at age 35, has the advantage of experience over Katie, age 24 (same age as Stephen and one year older than Candice). Katie was constantly referring to the tv monitor and it always appeared as if she was reading her lines (which she probably was). Padma, ex-food show hostess and movie star, probably hardly ever had to use the monitor to speak her lines and thus comes across with more naturalness and warmth.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast