+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Marcel Vigneron - Season 2

FORT Fogey
    Possible. But Marcel said they edited Sam's contribution to the dish with out fish. Who knows. I think it was funny when Sam said that he rather work with Marcel because Ilan was going to do the same Spanish stuff and at least he could learn something from Marcel.

SIX
    FORT Newbie
    am i the only 1 who thinks that Marcel deserved to win top chef title? I feel like no matter how hard they tried to edit out Marcel to be the outsider/bad guy he simply wasn't...also i think based on the talent alone he wins....i didn't understand the judges' final decision!!!!

Snoozin' on the beach
    Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2225127;
    Marcel said a lot of things that contradicted each other. I think he actually said both. He also said that he couldn't believe that a little saffron and paprika (expletives deleted) could beat him ... as if Ilan had nothing but two spices. He accepted blame one minute, and blamed everyone but himself in the next. All in all, the full picture is an illustration of his character.
    Actually he passed blame to others when he didn't know who won or what the specific reasons for it were-just as long as it appeared it wasn't his fault. Of course he has seen the finale 2 days ago and now knows it was entirely his own doing and can't possibly blame others. He has to backpeddle and admit it. He didn't know at the time, when he said Mike and Sam were unmotivated, that the problems had nothing to do with his teamates in any manner. He also didn't know the judges thought the dish Sam helped him with was the best one of the meal but he lead them to believe Sam must have been jealous. That way whatever went wrong with that dish was because of how Sam felt. Little did he know they were floored with it. I can imagine what must have been going through the judges mind as he made BS excuses. Trying to deflect blame when he didn't even know what the problems were AND they all knew it was BS when he was saying it.

I don't like either of the Final 2, they are BOTH weasels. They just go about their weasely ways in different manners. Ilan is overt about it, Marcel is more subtle and tries to come off looking good while doing it but he does a poor job of it

Quote Originally Posted by Shady64;2225838;
    I don't like either of the Final 2, they are BOTH weasels. They just go about their weasely ways in different manners. Ilan is overt about it, Marcel is more subtle and tries to come off looking good while doing it but he does a poor job of it
    Do we have a "stunned" emoticon?

It's just odd to see the words "Marcel" and "subtle" in the same sentence.

Marcel is overt about being a weasel. Not in the sense that he admits that he is, but that its so impossible for him to hide it.

Ilan is the one who's more subtle. Well, in his weaseldom if not in his food. You have to recall that a majority of the other cheftestants liked him. So if he's weasely its less about personal relations than it is rule following and such.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Snoozin' on the beach
    Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2225986;
    Do we have a "stunned" emoticon?

It's just odd to see the words "Marcel" and "subtle" in the same sentence.

Marcel is overt about being a weasel. Not in the sense that he admits that he is, but that its so impossible for him to hide it.

Ilan is the one who's more subtle. Well, in his weaseldom if not in his food. You have to recall that a majority of the other cheftestants liked him. So if he's weasely its less about personal relations than it is rule following and such.
    I don't think so. Ilan had alot of weasel ways that were pretty upfront I thought-not so much foodwise but peoplewise. Marcel does try to diguise it by rewording things in such a way to make himself come out looking like the bigger person but he fails miserably at it. Eh, maybe it's me, I've worked with alot of weasels and can spot it a mile away

They are both pretty bad about hiding it but Ilan was able to fool some people there. I don't know how they fell for it though, it's obvious to me what he was up to
    Last edited by Shady64; 02-02-2007 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SIX;2225795;
    am i the only 1 who thinks that Marcel deserved to win top chef title? I feel like no matter how hard they tried to edit out Marcel to be the outsider/bad guy he simply wasn't...also i think based on the talent alone he wins....i didn't understand the judges' final decision!!!!
    Hey Six...

Welcome to our little party late, but better than never.

I watched the show and thought that the judges might give it to Marcel. I've said on here that going into the final episode that I was rooting for Marcel over Ilan (although, I'm by no means a Marcel "fan"--as I think he's a highly flawed and difficult individual...but there were things about Marcel and Marcel's food that I seemed to like more than Ilan that made me root for Marcel.)

As I said on the main thread for the show, it seemed at the time that I was watching it like there were good reasons for the judges to give it to Marcel. It seemed that a dish by dish comparison made it even--possibly with the advantage going to Marcel...and Marcel pushed the envelope and did things that were new and previously unseen, while Ilan basically cooked a Spanish-inspired meal that he's been doing for quite awhile now.

My girlfriend, who watched it with me, predicted after the meal was over that Ilan would win...and I think the key at Judges Table was the judging criteria set forth by Tom, after a long discussion, that "there's one who was the best chef tonight, and there's one that will probably be a much better chef in the long run"--and they chose the one they thought was better on that night, which was Ilan...

Since the show, I've read the blogs of the judges...and they are much more clear in setting up a stronger reason for victory by Ilan as the judges preferred four of his five dishes to Marcel's. However, the "Ilan good now, Marcel better in the future" still seems accurate--and I would have given Marcel more credit for the potential (and individuality) he exhibited here...

Was I surprised at the result? No.
    Am I outraged at the result? No.

It could have gone to Marcel... And those who follow these boards know my one word reasoning for why it didn't...and that's sad to know that he lost because of a single word.

Anyway, stick around and play in the FORT...lots of cool people here who will agree and agree to disagree with you about anything.

pg--The one word is, of course, SALAD!--seattle

Six, I think Marcel should have won. But, the game is over and another takes the title. If nothing else, I take solace in the fact that Iian's prize will be taxed to death and he will only take home abot 50k. Plus, I think he has got a bad reputation with many for being a bully. I think that Marcel should have won just based on what he had to go through.
    Oh I wish I were an Os-car Mayer Wie - ner
    That is what I'd tru-ly like to be
    'cause if I were an Os-car May-er Wie - ner
    Ev-ery one would be in love with me.

c. Oscar Mayer, 1965.

Perhaps Ilan will participate in the run with the bulls in Spain. One can only hope.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Shady64;2225838;
    Actually he passed blame to others when he didn't know who won or what the specific reasons for it were-just as long as it appeared it wasn't his fault. Of course he has seen the finale 2 days ago and now knows it was entirely his own doing and can't possibly blame others. He has to backpeddle and admit it. He didn't know at the time, when he said Mike and Sam were unmotivated, that the problems had nothing to do with his teamates in any manner. He also didn't know the judges thought the dish Sam helped him with was the best one of the meal but he lead them to believe Sam must have been jealous. That way whatever went wrong with that dish was because of how Sam felt. Little did he know they were floored with it. I can imagine what must have been going through the judges mind as he made BS excuses. Trying to deflect blame when he didn't even know what the problems were AND they all knew it was BS when he was saying it.

Sam and Mike were unmotivated especially Mike. It is the responsiblity of the sous chefs to prep the food and the cart. And when something goes wrong, it is plausible to have many factors contributing to the failure. Marcel said:

1. I didn't consistently execute the meal (even though he was the main cook for the finale as opposed to Elia cooking for Ilan)

2. Sam and Mike weren't motivated- Mike even said this isn't my gig.

FORT Fogey
    Mike displayed the exact level of motivation that he'd displayed throughout the entire show. That's not to say he was motivated -- just to say that he was no different than he'd always been. Marcel chose him for his team over the likes of two more motivated individuals because the vanity of having people who were nice to him was more important to him than having strong, motivated help.

Further, a large part of leadership is motivating those who work for you. So of a lack of motivation in the help was a problem for Marcel, that was a problem he caused and should take responsibility for.

+ Reply to Thread