+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Marcel Vigneron - Season 2

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo1;2219276;
    Surely if Marcel had really cheated halfway through the competition he would have been sent home before Cliff.
    Why? This is another of those "since we didn't see it, it must not have happened" arguments, and again, I don't think those stand up very well.

The producers want dramatic people to stay to provoke controversy and interest in the show. Sending Marcel home early would have eliminated the provocateur who made the others react and kept the show interesting. It wasn't in their best self-interest to send him home.

Cliff, on the other hand, got physical. There was no sidestepping sending him home when that happened.

Any reaction from the others to Marcel getting caught and simply warned is pretty easy to exclude from the aired footage. We can't conclude nobody said anything simply because we weren't shown it.

Seems to me a lot of sour grapes from people who consistenly complained about how superior Marcel seemed to think he was, but who in the next breath said he wasn't the equal of them and didn't deserve to be there. So, who is acting superior?
    I saw a cause and effect in those "superior" complaints. Cause: Marcel boasts about his superiority. Effect: People say "no, he's not superior." That doesn't prove either side right, but them answering his own claim of superiority doesn't automatically cast their comments into a light where they are "trying to act superior". It's a response, not an unprovoked reaction, and its usually only unprovoked actions where people get accusations of having a big ego tossed at them.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2219595;
    Why? This is another of those "since we didn't see it, it must not have happened" arguments, and again, I don't think those stand up very well.
    My sense is that if Marcel had cheated, the other contestants would've cried bloody murder until he got the boot. I can't see all that Marcel hate simply having a lid kept on it. The producers do enjoy conflict, and certainly Marcel getting kicked out for cheating would've provided that. And, once the group shrinks, even when a major personality leaves, other villains and group dynamics emerge. The drama continues.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    I'd be annoyed to lose to a snot-nosed brat like Marcel.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey
    I can understand why the other chefs would identify Marcel's behavior as cheating, while the judges and producers would say it is not. The kinds of actions he took were not cheating -- they were pushing the rules to the limit, doing what he could to put his competition at a disadvantage.

I'll use moving the steamer as an example. There's not a rule that says "a chef cannot move materials not currently being cooked from a potential heat source". But in the eyes of those in the kitchen, it's good "sportsmanship" and polite to ask before doing those things. For example, when Marcel's vegetables were in the sink, but not currently being washed in the romantic dinner challenge, he was asked about them before they were moved. It's a courtesey, so that everyone is making their best efforts and the best man wins. Marcel does not always extend those courteseys to other chefs. There were times that he'd move something without asking. Why? No one knows. It could be that he's a self-centered brat who doesn't care about being kind to other people. Or (more likely in my mind) it could be gamesmanship, intended to throw others off of their game.

If the other chefs interpreted those actions by Marcel as being an intentional effort to throw them off their game, then in comparison to the other chefs, I could see where they'd identify it as cheating. But, in the name of competition, cheating is ONLY doing something against the rules. Marcel has not appeared to do anything which is directly against the rules.

FORT Fanatic
    Marcel did state at the judges table that he looked under Elia's steamer and saw no flame and then announced that he was moving her steamer. If Ilan or Sam had done the same thing, do you think she would have called them 'cheaters'?

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo1;2219676;
    Marcel did state at the judges table that he looked under Elia's steamer and saw no flame and then announced that he was moving her steamer. If Ilan or Sam had done the same thing, do you think she would have called them 'cheaters'?
    THe source of the accusation with Marcel is not due to a single incident -- it's the compilation of the same sort of behavior repeatedly throughout the season.

Marcel has readily admitted that he says and does things to provoke a response from other contestants.

Agreed. He says he does it and we've seen it. We've also seen Ilan and others provoke him--Ilan calling into question his sexual experience in front of the cameras, and therefore the watching audience, must not only have been embarrasing for Marcel but hugely provoking. It doesn't matter who started what where, frankly. If they can't take it don't dish it out. It made me laugh to see the chefs getting their panties in a knot because Marcel made a snide comment about Ilan's "flambe" - which at least was a reference to cooking, the reason they are supposed to be there - while the "virgin" taunt is apparently acceptable, even though it had nothing to do with the situation at hand.

Marcel claims his superiority. The other chefs respond by not only saying "no, he's not superior" but also by saying he doesn't deserve to be there because what he is doing isn't real "cooking." The implication, to me, is that he doesn't deserve to be there with them. To me, that shows a sense of superiority on their part. In my mind at least, and I know there are others who disagree, the Hate Marcel club have their noses so far in the air they can't see that the way they behave towards him is no different than how he has behaved towards them. At least he seems able to roll with the punches (literally).

I don't know what has really happened this season. I just cannot for the life of me understand how Marcel got so far under these people's skins. I think it was a byproduct of Marcel's complete lack of social skills combined with Ilan's incredible lack of self-esteem (he seems so threatened by Marcel, it's weird) and also the old "pack mentality" where everyone jumps on the bandwagon and the Marcel Hate takes on a life of its own.

From what I understand there are a lot of HUGE egos in the professional cooking world. Let's hope the way in which they let Marcel's ego throw them off their game is only a product of the environment in which they film this show (24/7 together). Otherwise I wonder how well they will get along in a kitchen with someone like Gordon Ramsay, for instance.

Ilan slammed Marcel's dish in front of the guests, Frank threatened to beat him black and blue, he's been yelled at and sworn at by numerous people, he's been berated in public at the market, by Sam, he's been accused of cheating, he's been manhandled and physically attacked, he's been made fun of and ridiculed, and pretty much everyone has talked smack about him behind his back.

The reason pretty much everyone kicked off so far has given in interview for their hatred of him? He's "annoying."

?????

Something doesn't ring true, or these are the weakest, most insecure and pathetic reality show contestants I've ever seen.

Again, you're adults, suck it up and ignore the little guy if he bugs you that much! Sheesh!
    Last edited by sweetpea; 01-29-2007 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dondale56;2218543;
    Did anyone listen to Sam's interview ... He confirms what Elia says about cheating by Marcel and he was talking about during the show. He says that the producers came to Marcel, half way thru, and asked him to give up his "extra" products that he brought from home. He also had cooking books which were Verboten! Listen to his interview, it's kind of interesting.

Donna
    Yea, I listened to it, and if you listened carefully you would have realized that happened at the start of the show. All the contestants had to come clean with anything they may have brought to the competition. Its not cheating because none of it was used in the actual competition. Had it been, then all of the contestants would have had no problem mentioning it. They were all looking for reasons to get Marcel out. Don't you think that if it were as rampant as some of you suggest that they would have made a federal case out of it. The producers would have loved this kind of drama. They would have played it up and focused a whole episode on it.

Come on guys. Hate him if you want. But make sure its for something thats true. Don't make something up. You heard Sam say it, you have to be in the mind set that you are the best and you are going to win. Otherwise, what's the point?

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;2219750;

Ilan slammed Marcel's dish in front of the guests, Frank threatened to beat him black and blue, he's been yelled at and sworn at by numerous people, he's been berated in public at the market, by Sam, he's been accused of cheating, he's been manhandled and physically attacked, he's been made fun of and ridiculed, and pretty much everyone has talked smack about him behind his back.

The reason pretty much everyone kicked off so far has given in interview for their hatred of him? He's "annoying."

?????

Something doesn't ring true, or these are the weakest, most insecure and pathetic reality show contestants I've ever seen.

Again, you're adults, suck it up and ignore the little guy if he bugs you that much! Sheesh!

RIGHT ON THE MONEY, SWEETPEA! Like him or loathe him, the others have turned Marcel into the victim of this scenario. I didn't care for Marcel the first couple of episodes but he grew on me, just as the others became less and less likable. Betty turned into a nasty shrew, blaming everyone and everything for her failures. Frank went from "regular Joe" to abusive bully. Elia from my hopes for a talented sweet contender to an embarrassment, sour grapes and desperation her last attempts at nonelimination. And finally Sam, the golden boy (probably perceived as "this year's Harold")....a spineless, sneaky, opportunist...a pot stirrer always looking for an angle.

So twists of fate has turned Marcel into this household's hope for the Top Chef title.

Now THAT'S what I call "just desserts"
    GRIN

Tommorrow, do you think Marcel gonna win or not.

+ Reply to Thread