+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Marcel Vigneron - Season 2

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2214875;
    I can't remember Sam bringing up his diabetes to use as an excuse. Can someone refresh my memory? I do know that he has made mention of it, but that's all. If you are diabetic, you have to think differently about food.
    He first mentioned it during the ice cream challenge. He said he does not have experience making "sweets" because he is diabetic (and he knew his ice cream was going to suck).

If an executive chef is allergic to olive oil does that mean he is excused from ever cooking with it for his clients? As a chef, he should still know how to cook with it. He just may not eat anything made from it himself. But part of being a great chef is being able to create dishes for your clients, not just for yourself.

And still, I know a diabetic who enjoy tofu sweets, sugar-free ice cream and she bakes sugar-free desserts for her family and friends. She was not an executive chef at a NY restaurant. Of course if Sam's staff had ever all called in sick for a couple of days at the restaurant, he could run across the street and buy some Snickers bars for his customers' desserts. Or make more of his watermelon Slimer bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2214875;
    I can't remember Sam bringing up his diabetes to use as an excuse. Can someone refresh my memory? I do know that he has made mention of it, but that's all. If you are diabetic, you have to think differently about food.
    Sam used it pre emptively last week in the quick fire challenge. He's used it a few times. I believe I even remember it in the beach challenge.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by skydrumrangel;2215264;
    Sam used it pre emptively last week in the quick fire challenge. He's used it a few times. I believe I even remember it in the beach challenge.
    I think it was appropriate for Sam to explain that he wasn't very experienced in making desserts because of having diabetes.

I also think it was appropriate for Cliff to explain that he was color blind for the the color challenge.

These are physical challenges that impede their ability to perform. Props to both of 'em for doing so well in tasks that challenged them in these areas.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2214795;
    It's known as "you can dish it but you can't take it".

And if you watch the shows carefully, Marcel only started making a point of helping some of the others AFTER they got on his case about not helping out.

His belief in his own superiority (often with very little other than some foam to justify it) is also a constant presence. Only in the later shows did he start to throw in the occasional vague acknowledgment of others. Earlier on it was all about how they were all drudges (except maybe Elia, who he already had a relationship with) and he was the only original and talented one there.
    It was Ilan who initiated the "Don't help Marcel" rant when Marcel told Betty not to bring his plates out to the guests yet. It was the Asst Director who first said "Hold it". Then it was necessary for Lee Anne to repeat the order. Marcel, who was on the other side of the room, had to raise his voice telling Betty to "Stop". Betty either has a hearing problem or she was purposely trying to screw with Marcel's presentation. So what does Betty do? She accuses Marcel of "snapping at her". I bet if it was Sam's turn to serve, she'd have kept her big mouth shut. And then that twerp Ilan butts in and tells everyone not to help Marcel.

In this latest episode Sam and Ilan present their dishes before Marcel. Marcel has thirty pieces of fish to cook so he has plenty to do before it is his turn to serve. Marcel has a problem because Ilan has commandeered every burner except one. (Who's selfish?) Sam asks Marcel to help him but Marcel declines because he is still working on his own dish. Marcel agrees to help anyone AFTER he is done cooking and presenting his own dish which seems both reasonable and sensible. If Sam wanted help, he should have asked Elia (dessert) who was scheduled to be the last presenter.

Lex
    I don't know if this has been mentioned here:

I was watching the live netcast "Watch What Happens" on Bravo's site. They interviewed Sam and Tom. During the interview, someone brought up that a crazy fan hit Marcel over the head with a glass bottle and it cut up his face. This happened in the last week in Las Vegas.

I may hate Marcel with the heat of a nova, but never would I do something like that just because I don't like a person. That's absolutely nuts.

It sounds like Marcel is doing okay. He'll be on next week's "Watch What Happens" netcast, so we'll find out more about it then.

EDIT: Nevermind. I see someone did mention this a few pages ago.
    Last edited by Lex; 01-25-2007 at 12:29 AM.
    "Ah don't hayave an acksent." - Kellie Pickler 2006

I just read about that Lex. People should be ashamed of themselves. Seriously. It's a tv show.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;2215391;
    I think it was appropriate for Sam to explain that he wasn't very experienced in making desserts because of having diabetes.

I also think it was appropriate for Cliff to explain that he was color blind for the the color challenge.

These are physical challenges that impede their ability to perform. Props to both of 'em for doing so well in tasks that challenged them in these areas.
    Exactly, and what you explained is hardly what I consider Sam "using" his condition.
    It was hardly ever mentioned on the show.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by miadora;2214995;
    He first mentioned it during the ice cream challenge. He said he does not have experience making "sweets" because he is diabetic (and he knew his ice cream was going to suck).

If an executive chef is allergic to olive oil does that mean he is excused from ever cooking with it for his clients? As a chef, he should still know how to cook with it. He just may not eat anything made from it himself. But part of being a great chef is being able to create dishes for your clients, not just for yourself.

And still, I know a diabetic who enjoy tofu sweets, sugar-free ice cream and she bakes sugar-free desserts for her family and friends. She was not an executive chef at a NY restaurant. Of course if Sam's staff had ever all called in sick for a couple of days at the restaurant, he could run across the street and buy some Snickers bars for his customers' desserts. Or make more of his watermelon Slimer bowl.
    The best ... only really ... way that a chef has to know if his or her creations taste good is to taste them. If a chef can't eat a certain food, that is going to limit his ability to taste it, and know if it is any good. It doesn't mean it's impossible. But it does limit the ability to be creative rather than merely following the ideas/techniques/recipes that were created by others.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2216115;
    The best ... only really ... way that a chef has to know if his or her creations taste good is to taste them. If a chef can't eat a certain food, that is going to limit his ability to taste it, and know if it is any good. It doesn't mean it's impossible. But it does limit the ability to be creative rather than merely following the ideas/techniques/recipes that were created by others.
    That would be my first assumption too. However, my favorite chef here in Phoenix makes lovely dishes with meat, like chateaubriand, scallops, pork tenderloin, roasted chicken, beautiful French-style sausages, and yet I was astonished when she told me she's a vegetarian. I honestly don't know how she does it; perhaps she tastes the seasonings beforehand. Taste is a HUGE factor in good food, but technique goes a long way, and she does what she does VERY well. So in the case of Sam, he can learn the techniques and by knowing which flavors work together, he should be able to execute good desserts without ever actually eating them.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Serial killer killer Winston Smith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2214795;
    And if you watch the shows carefully, Marcel only started making a point of helping some of the others AFTER they got on his case about not helping out.
    Not true.

- On the first elimination challenge when they were asked to comment on the other contestants' food, Marcel spoke up in favor of Elia's dish.

- During the Eastern Promise challenge there's a bonus clip of Marcel asking another member of his team if they need help with something. This happened during the 90 minutes when Otto was at the store returning the lychees.

- On the Camp Glucose challenge there's a bonus clip of Marcel talking to the kids. They love the food. Marcel tells them to thank Frank for making the pizza.

- On the Social Challenge Marcel helps Mike and Ilan plate their food. After they serve their course he congratulates them.

- On the Thanksgiving episode Marcel and Elia helped Betty with her brulees. At JT Betty blamed them for the brulees coming out wrong. Then she attacked Marcel for no reason, telling the judges she wanted him sent home because she doesn't like him. Afterwards, she cussed him out and called him selfish, but had trouble backing up her remarks when he asked for an example of selfish behavior.

Marcel has been a good sport and a team player all along, but never got any credit for it.

+ Reply to Thread