+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Marcel Vigneron - Season 2

Veruka, that is very true. A poster here on the FORT has the Heat Miser as their avatar. I can't remeber who it is though.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2110092;
    I just can't take the hair. I never knew that anyone watched the old Rankin-Bass Christmas specials looking for hair ideas. Every time I see him, I start singing "I'm mister heat miser ..."
    That's what it is. Thanks for that; I was honestly racking my brain trying to figure out where I'd seen that hair before. You nailed it.

FORT Fanatic
    I wonder what Marcel did to have Frank threaten to rearrange his face so that his mother wouldn't recognize him? I heard Frank mention something about Marcel touching his (Frank's) personal items. Was Marcel comparing knives again without Frank's permission? Speaking of knives, Marcel mentioned to Ilan that he used high carbon knives. High carbon knives, while they take and hold an edge better than other types of steel, require constant care because high carbon steel rusts! Most chef knives, even the best ones, are a compromise using both high carbon and stainless steel combined...takes a good edge and doesn't rust.

Single Gourmet
    He looks like Jimmy Neutron, The Wolverine, and an ice-cream cone. That said, he's pretty cute. Oxymoron, huh? The comparisons to Stephen are relevant, but Stephen placed Top 3 last season, while Marcel did not. His dish did look nice (as did his unexpected Quickfire dish), but maybe the garlic was too overpowering. Did he deserve to be in the bottom? Probably not, but that's what makes this show so hard to critique: we can't taste the food, and have to go solely on judge's comments and presentation. He may be kept around for drama, though.

Single Gourmet
    gizmo1, that's a good point about the knives. I'm a chef and didn't even notice he said that--Kudos to you!

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by chefashley;2112735;
    He looks like Jimmy Neutron, The Wolverine, and an ice-cream cone. That said, he's pretty cute. Oxymoron, huh? The comparisons to Stephen are relevant, but Stephen placed Top 3 last season, while Marcel did not. His dish did look nice (as did his unexpected Quickfire dish), but maybe the garlic was too overpowering. Did he deserve to be in the bottom? Probably not, but that's what makes this show so hard to critique: we can't taste the food, and have to go solely on judge's comments and presentation. He may be kept around for drama, though.
    There is one big distinction between Marcel and Stephen. Marcel seems to have earned the emnity of nearly all of his castmates and it is only episode one. Stephen on the other hand, while making no friends until the reunion (apology to Candice), didn't have many enemies among his fellow chefs. Of course among tv viewers he was running neck and neck with Tiff for villain honors.
    Last edited by gizmo1; 10-23-2006 at 02:11 AM.

FORT Regular
    Can I just mention that "avant garde molecular gastronomy" is my new candidate for most pretentious, ludicrous sentence fragment of the year?

When there's that much smoke, there ain't usually too much going on in the kitchen, IMHO.

Aside from the pretentiousness of the phrase, I have major differences with the entire approach of molecular gastronomy. Too often, adherents of the said study rely on science more than art to create their cuisine, and while they may produce interesting dishes with interesting techniques, they're not always spot on with how enjoyable the dish is. Can anything be more foul and lifeless than a veal chop cooked sous vide with no searing and no color? Is foam really something one would want on their plate? Or is xantham gum really an ingredient diners should look forward to having in their meals? While they may be interesting, I think the "molecular gastronomist" techniques are too often a crutch for people who really don't know how to cook from the heart, but rather try too hard to cook from the brain.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Marcel.... keep that attitude and lose like Tiffani did... she said the same thing about it not being a popularity contest and look where it took her... friendless and no one wanted her to win last season. Someone will definitely kick your ass this season if you don't watch what you have to say to people.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by chefashley;2112737;
    gizmo1, that's a good point about the knives. I'm a chef and didn't even notice he said that--Kudos to you!
    With regards to the trophy knife presented to Betty. Ceramic knives are extremely sharp and hold an edge longer than steel. However they cannot be sharpened by the user and will have to be sent to the factory to be resharpened.

+ Reply to Thread