+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 5/17 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

easily distracted
    Quote Originally Posted by dallas_viewer View Post
    Looks to me like if Dave had remembered a THIRD dish for the last patrons, Tiffani would definitely have been OUT, n'est-ce pas?
    Not necessarily. It's not like Dave actually made 3 dishes during the 1/2 hour, but then only remembered to serve 2.

Since he actually only made 2 dishes, he had a much easier job in his half hour than Tiffani or Harold did. In other words, although the customers loved his beef dish, it might not have been nearly that tasty if he had been juggling 2 other dishes at the same time, rather than just 1 other. It might have been much more mediocre had he followed the rules.

easily distracted
    Quote Originally Posted by homecooking View Post
    I noticed something in the first quickfire challenge; you could absolutely tell the teal napkin dishes were Harold's.
    I thuoght the same thing, homecooking. I thought that the soup in particular had Harold's signature all over it. And the "high rollers" know each other's styles much better than we the TV audience do. If we are staring to recognize their trademarks, you can bet Lee Anne, Stepeh, and Miguel could as well.

That's not to say that they didn;t judge honestly, but that challenge was in no way a blind taste test.

easily distracted
    Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    So... Dave made better food... everyone seem to always like his food. And he gets booted over a missed dish. And Tifanny sits there like she won cause she was the better cook. Dave is out cause he forgot one side dish. Not cause she is a better cook. At least knowing how bad of a cook she is... she will be brutally beating in the final show by Harold... and have to go home humiliated!
    I wrote above that you can't assume that Dave would have won the last challenge if he had made 3 dishes (even though Tom said this). That's because we can't assume that the beef that Dave made which was so tasty would have been anywhere near as good if he had actually followed the rules. He might have overcooked it or dried it out while he juggled a 3rd dish in there, or his 3rd dish might have been terrible.

Also, I think it's obvious why Tiffani made it so far--according to both the judges and her competitors, she is very good at what she does. Throughout the seasosn, she won several challenges, and was top 3 most of the time. Even on the poker food challenge, the judges admitted that the customers thought the food tasted great--they just couldn't easily eat it while playing. I don't know why you say she can't cook when clearly this is not true.

And I wonder why you think that if Tiffani loses in the final she will be humiliated? Do you think it's humiliating to come in anything other than first? I don't think Dave or Lee Anne or anyone else who has been eliminated so far has been humiliated-- so what is so humiliating about making it to the final and then losing?

FORT Fogey
    I'm not sure I agree with those who are saying Dave was robbed, or lost just on the technicality of forgetting a third dish in the last round. (a mistake that I think was HUGE BTW)

If you rank them in order for each round, giving 3 points to first, 2 for second and one for third, it goes like this:

High Rollers:
    Harold 3
    Tiffani 2
    Dave 1

Poker:
    Dave 3
    Harold 2
    Tiffani 1

Ka:
    Harold 3
    Tiffani 2
    Dave 1

Totals:
    Harold 8
    Tiffani 5
    Dave 5

So Tiffani and Dave both end up tied, with Dave getting points off for forgetting a dish. Tiffani won fair and sqaure in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with those who are saying Dave was robbed, or lost just on the technicality of forgetting a third dish in the last round. (a mistake that I think was HUGE BTW)

If you rank them in order for each round, giving 3 points to first, 2 for second and one for third, it goes like this:

High Rollers:
    Harold 3
    Tiffani 2
    Dave 1

Poker:
    Dave 3
    Harold 2
    Tiffani 1

Ka:
    Harold 3
    Tiffani 2
    Dave 1

Totals:
    Harold 8
    Tiffani 5
    Dave 5

So Tiffani and Dave both end up tied, with Dave getting points off for forgetting a dish. Tiffani won fair and sqaure in my book.
    The Ka acrobats liked Tiffani's dish the least. You can't rank Dave as a 1 in that challenge and then deduct points as well for the missing dish. At best, the two of them were tied. If you go by the history of the challenges, Dave did as well as or better than Tiff. So it came down to personalities, and Tom didn't like Dave's personal style. That's why he is out - not from the cooking.
    (If you doubt that Tom doesn't respect Dave, read his blog on Nappa where he calls Dave's win there "lucky" and this latest blog where he calls Dave being favored by the poker players "a happy accident.")

FORT Fogey
    I based the rankings I used on the ranks Tom gave in his blog. He stated that Tiffani came in a solid second in all three. (contradicted himself where she came in third on the poker round, which I reflected in the scoring)

It doesn't surprise me at all that Tom was as tough on Dave as he was. Out of the kitchen, I think Dave is probably a very very nice guy and deserves a lot of credit for a lot of things. But in the kitchen, he's a mess! He freaked out and panicked WAY too much to be a great executive chef. Nothing about a professional kitchen is calm, and a demeanor like Dave's is only going to make that worse.

I also thought it was interesting that in his blog, Tom noted a real change in Tiffani at the finals vs the way she acted 4 months before. Dave on the other hand, he is sure to say was still nursing his grude towards Tiffani. In that battle, I think it takes two to tango, and I don't give Dave a pass just because he plays the victim so well.

I also thought it was interesting that in his blog, Tom noted a real change in Tiffani at the finals vs the way she acted 4 months before. Dave on the other hand, he is sure to say was still nursing his grude towards Tiffani. In that battle, I think it takes two to tango, and I don't give Dave a pass just because he plays the victim so well.
    I agree. I'm not a big fan of either Dave or Tiffani, but they really got on each other's nerves during the competition--it was a mutual thing. It seemed to me that Tiff was ready to start fresh and Dave couldn't/didn't want to let it go. Perhaps that's part of why Tiff got loaded and was upset at the reunion--she came back at least trying to make amends and was met with a lot of anger that she didn't expect or understand?? I think she knew that she was coming off as blunt and harsh, but I think she thought she was still sort of one of the gang.

As for rating the dishes, I think some of the differences between the dishes are being exaggerated. It's not as though it's lousy (like, say, my cooking) vs. stellar (5-star restaurant). It's probably more like good () vs yummy () ... OR yummy () vs WOW (). Example: with Tiff and the poker food, they apparently liked the taste of the food but it had to be eaten with a fork, so it didn't work as well in that setting. My guess is that all of the dishes had positive and negative things said about them and it was edited down to give the general impression. I don't recall any of the dishes being really lambasted as terrible--no one spit anything out or cringed. Even if Tiff's dishes were ignored in the 3rd round--salty and fishy comments aside--it doesn't mean hers were bad (or inedible), just that they liked the others.

Re: Dave and the missing 3rd dish--it seemed like both Tom and Chef Keller were very critical and Dave really lost points there. Even if he had gone to the fruit and just grabbed a few whole pieces and put them on a plate, he'd have had something! But it also seemed like Tom pointed out that Tiff and Harold had protein and carbs in each of the 3 whereas Dave was 1 plate protein, 1 plate carbs, so he still might have lost points even though the flavors were there.

High Rollers:
    Harold 3
    Tiffani 2
    Dave 1

Poker:
    Dave 3
    Harold 2
    Tiffani 1

Ka:
    Harold 3
    Tiffani 2
    Dave 1

Totals:
    Harold 8
    Tiffani 5
    Dave 5

I just watched the show early this afternoon and my impression from viewing it was that Harold place 1st for the high rollers with Dave 2nd , Tif 3rd.

Poker challenge Dave 1st, Harold 2nd, Tiff 3rd.

Ka challenge Dave 1st, Harold 2nd, Tiff 3rd.

Only because Dave did 2 dishes instead of 3 did the judges lower his score to 3rd. Although I was surprised how well Dave did , I did expect to see Dave and Harold go to the final 2, based on how well they did in the quickfire challenges, each winning one. I was shocked that Tiff made it. In all 3 challenges it seemed she was not on target as to what the customer wanted. Her attitude about her poker food floored me.

If you had used the actually placing without regard to the missing dish of the 3rd challenge. Harold would have had a 7, Dave would have a 7 and Tiff would have been last.

At least Dave seemed OK with the decision, cause he realized he did it to himself. A sure sign of maturity.

Oh, Tiff still had attitude regardless of how much she said she had changed.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I

Only because Dave did 2 dishes instead of 3 did the judges lower his score to 3rd. Although I was surprised how well Dave did , I did expect to see Dave and Harold go to the final 2, based on how well they did in the quickfire challenges, each winning one. I was shocked that Tiff made it. In all 3 challenges it seemed she was not on target as to what the customer wanted. Her attitude about her poker food floored me.

this is obvious to all except tiff and her relatives here. should we embrace her family?

FORT Newbie

ftw Tif?

Tom C.: Your food wasn't sophisticated enough during the high roller challenge
    Tiffani: Well, I know high rollers. And they prefer simpler food.

Tom C.: Your food was too sophisticated for the poker challenge.
    Tiffani: Well if they're good poker players then some day they will become high rollers and appreciate sophisticated food.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast