+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bravo Orders Second Season Of Top Chef

Bravo Orders Second Season Of Top Chef

Zap2it.com is reporting that Bravo has ordered a second season of 'Top Chef'. Here is the story:

Bravo's competition series "Top Chef," which has enjoyed steady ratings growth over its eight weeks on the air, will be coming back for a second course.

The cable network has renewed the show, which comes from the producers of "Project Runway," for a second cycle and will begin searching for undiscovered culinary stars later this month in Las Vegas, New York, San Francisco, Chicago and Los Angeles.

"'Top Chef' has a flavor and spice viewers are savoring, making it one of the most successful new cable shows to debut this year," Bravo President Lauren Zalaznick says. "We're committed to this series and look forward to another successful season showcasing some of the best culinary talent in the country."

And, as Bravo is wont to do with shows that are doing well, the network has extended the current season by adding a reunion show and playing out the finale over two weeks. The reunion special, featuring previously eliminated contestants and unaired footage from past episodes, is scheduled for Wednesday, May 10.

The final three contestants will be pared to two the following week, and the winner will be revealed May 24.

Ratings for "Top Chef," while not in the upper reaches of the cable stratosphere, have nonetheless been improving over the show's run. Last week's episode hit a series high of 1.3 million viewers, with more than 900,000 of those coming from the adults 18-49 demographic.
    I am so excited to hear this news. 'Top Chef' is one of my favorite shows on the air right now (actually, it is one of my favorite reality shows, period). I am glad it will be getting another season and also glad that we have extra episodes to watch this season.

FORT Newbie
    as i expected, and culled from previous posts of mine making the correlation between Project Runway and Top Chef, the folks at Bravo waited until TC met a certain threshold and now are going to reshape the format to meet the criteria of PR, insofar as adding extra shows and reunion episode.

i look forward to another season and hope they all learn from this year, i would like to see talent from a more consistent pool, legitimate guest judges, and to those who champion these "goofy" challenges, it is not what makes the show, but rather the interplay of the contestans between themselves, and judges between the contestants.

why not put together more serious challenges:
    some thoughts, some repeats from this year
    because they were good

1, put together a meal using a set dollar figure for the entire meai and specify how many courses, and how much can be spent on each course
    2, break up into two teams, create two restaurants: theme, menu, appearance, ambiance
    3, again two teams, place each team in a diner, where they have to serve customers for a specific period of time and work as short order cooks
    4, individual pizzas, where contestants draw lots as to what ethnicity/nationality they must cover on their pies
    5, desserts, make them all have to make a dessert

time will tell
    we shall see

I am really excited this show got renewed because it has so much potential. I hope for the second season they tweak the challenges a little bit and add more variety to the contestants, like a pastry chef. I also hope they get a new host, the one they have is just poor!

I'd also like to see a few challenges where the judging is based on the food served WITHOUT the panel knowing who cooked what. Only AFTER the winners and losers are chosen would the judges know who created what dish...and only then would the chefs defend/explain their choices.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    I love Top Chef!!!! Woot!
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy69r View Post
    I'd also like to see a few challenges where the judging is based on the food served WITHOUT the panel knowing who cooked what. Only AFTER the winners and losers are chosen would the judges know who created what dish...and only then would the chefs defend/explain their choices.

Good idea! Then they would really have to pick the best one and not the one the producers are keeping around for "good television"! I bet there would be more than a few surprises!

FORT Regular

Blind leading the Blind

I think the blind taste test where the judges don't know who cooked what, is an excellent idea! I'd bet the resulting opinions on the dishes might have been a bit different. In fact, I think that's such a great idea, that it should be incorporated into one of the mid-season challenges for Project Runway also. They can mix up the models, and the judges don't get to know whose design they are judging. No matter how professional a judge seems to be, in the end it really does come down to personal preferences and perceived personalities. We are all human, after all (er...and Stephen)

I hope they revamp Top Chef for season 2. They need a lively, funny host (I suggested Tom Bergeron in another thread) and a professional, uniquely personable, high-end Chef for the non-judging mentor role. Look what Tim Gunn has done for PR just by being uniquely himself. Since the viewing audience cannot taste or smell the food, more emphasis must be placed on descibing the fare, ingredients, and little special hints on how to actally build these dishes. In other words, Bravo needs to find its stride to really involve its viewing audience in understanding top-chef level cooking. I'd appreciate learning more about this foodie world, just as I did about the PR design world. After all..."PB & J" wasn't just a totally random name I happened to come up with...I live it!

So, Bravo...teach me sum-ping!

FORT Newbie

Blind Food Judging

here we run into a dilemma on a number of counts...

this is why i keep bringing up the point about the background and experience of contestants with regard to a benchmark level

a number of the contestants had truly unique identitites, which would make it rather difficult for the panel not to know who cooked what, of all the contestants only Harold, Tiffani and LeeAnne could pull this off, because of their collective talent and skill. The others all have "tells" signature preparations, tastes and flavors..

anything is possible with the right gene pool

PB & J:
    I think the blind taste test where the judges don't know who cooked what, is an excellent idea!
    If so then they definitely have to include junk food approximating the same dish that's been cooked by a gourmet. See if the contestant can tell the difference. Or maybe that could be a qualifier to see who gets on the show to begin with

Yardgnome:
    I hope for the second season they tweak the challenges a little bit and add more variety to the contestants, like a pastry chef.
    After all the griping about cooking/baking dessert this season I'd LOVE to see an episode where the entire challenge was to make dessert, or better yet, a fancy pastry-chef type of thing. After all, a top chef should be able to do anything in a pinch, as Chef Tom said

Quote Originally Posted by PB & J View Post
    I hope they revamp Top Chef for season 2. They need a lively, funny host (I suggested Tom Bergeron in another thread) !
    He is even worse than the current host. They should have someone who knows food since they help with the judging, maybe Ted Allen.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast